The find of a life time 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button & 1821 1/2 Real.

Eagle 1

Greenie
Jul 25, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
HI all
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif] Well I went out today with my friend Doug he a new sight to try. So we wen't out this past sunday morning. He had found some nice [/FONT]coin's last week there. So I was hopping to fine a real or a doubloon maybe
hmmm.gif
. Well I was hopping anyway. So it was a hell of a climb to the top of the hill. But we got there and start to hunt. The first hour did not find much but gun shells. It was a big field and wood's. Doug went in the wood's and I hit the field. My first good find was a large brass bar a good 2 ft long and 2 in. in diam. 10 lb. My next fine was what I thought was a large cent. Then I saw it was to thin it was a large button. At first it just seem to be a plain flat large button. I rubbed it to get off the mud off and then I saw a G. I told my self it can't be. So I rubbed it one more time and there was the W. I could not believe my eye's
yikes.gif
. A 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button it is a rare one. I first yelled at Doug but he could not hear me. So I ran to him and told him he better be sitting down. I thought his eye's were going to come out of his head. It took him a min. to get the wards out. When he did he gave me a big congrat's . He also told me that I got the big suck award for the year with a smile. So I wen't back and started up again. Within 10 feet I pull out a 1821 1/2 real what a day. I also pulled out a small button pewter and a spoon also pewter.

Attachments

• 20121126_5.JPG
    20121126_5.JPG
    512.5 KB · Views: 826
  • 20121126_4.JPG
    20121126_4.JPG
    534.2 KB · Views: 592
Upvote 17

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the coin before I cleaned it. You can see all the pitting in it.

I don't think IP will like this one.:laughing7:

Joking aside, I like this before shot.

If you get another one, please leave it like this one. Only because you can clean at any date (assuming it doesn't need stabilizing) in the future, but you can't unclean.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took it as a slip of the tongue, he meant button of course.

:tongue3: I know,I just wanted to be included :thumbsup: Lets all get along,you guys are upsetting me :cat:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But if you notice the green patina left on the back..

This picture is also after being cleaned somewhat:BangHead:

Blaze

I think you wrong on this one, the patchy green can occur in spots like that.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you wrong on this one, the patchy green can occur in spots like that.

You think a brass button came out of the ground with no green patina on it after 200 years or so:icon_scratch:

Wrong,wrongo,wriggity wrong Cru....

Blaze

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You think a brass button came out of the ground with no green patina on it after 200 years or so:icon_scratch:

Wrong,wrongo,wriggity wrong Cru....

Blaze

Yes I know it's possible for a button like this to come out like that photo.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes I know it's possible for a button like this to come out like that photo.

Highly unlikely..

Unless he found it in water or on the beach.
But i can tell its been cleaned ahead of this picture..I would bet Iron Patches rep on it..

Blaze

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Highly unlikely..

Unless he found it in water or on the beach.
But i can tell its been cleaned ahead of this picture..I would bet Iron Patches rep on it..

Blaze

It 'probably'(not sure) was water washed but my point is still the same, I have found some with very little/nearly no green because the soil has 'cleaned' it. Plus many other variables. (although most of my experience is ploughed land which makes a difference) Have you noticed that many of my nearly 2000 year old Roman Silvers have no tarnish/black patina at all, some come out that way, but some come out jet black.

Last edited:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Eagle 1 said:
Here is the coin before I cleaned it. You can see all the pitting in it.

Nonsense!!! It's what I don't see.

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clearly the button was washed, what he should have done is stop the button from drying out. Once it was removed from the soil and washed, it's fate had been sealed. The best thing to do with any copper dug item, is to leave it cacked in the damp soil it come from. Then apply what ever you use to stop the drying out effect.... R.I.P GW button.:angel7:

SS

Last edited:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Long ago, I did not know what a large cent was, or any old coin really. When I first started I found an 1809 LC in good condition, a key date. It was not green so much as a deep olive brown. The date was just readable. It cleaned up nice in the sink. But that was not good enough for me so I sandblasted it straight to hell. It's in my junk pile now. I have seen a lot of early 1800 copper and bronze come out smooth patina, maybe greenish, but no pitting. Which is weird because I live in acid rain belt. Anything can happen.

OP
OP
E

Eagle 1

Greenie
Jul 25, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Yes It was lightly cleaned with a tooth brush. But there was very little green on it mostly brown. My friend found a 1/2 penny 1757 I believe. It was about 3 ft away. It was very wet there and that penny was brown also.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes It was lightly cleaned with a tooth brush. But there was very little green on it mostly brown. My friend found a 1/2 penny 1757 I believe. It was about 3 ft away. It was very wet there and that penny was brown also.

Exactly what I thought, I knew this was possible, I have seen it many times.

Back to my original point, this brown patina looks much nicer, so please keep it on next time.

rj39ny

Greenie
Mar 10, 2011
New Windsor, New York
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro / Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I prefer you don't clean the GWI 11-B, but if you must remove some of the rust, Navy Jelly and site for 5-15 minutes then microfiber towel it off while running under warm water. Repeat for 3x. This won't ruin the patina underneath.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think IP will like this one.:laughing7:

Joking aside, I like this before shot.

If you get another one, please leave it like this one. Only because you can clean at any date (assuming it doesn't need stabilizing) in the future, but you can't unclean.

That doesn't have any effect on anything i said, for those who actually understood it, and read my own account. The point was you can't jump to conclusions and be 100% sure unless you know the whole story. Had the before pics gone up right away, I wouldn't have said what I did because everyone had the info. to make their own call whether it was a good or bad move. And even if it was bad in their opinion why make it the center point of the conversation... there's no going back. That's not to mention it's a personal choice and If I wanted to clean a find a certain way you can be guaranteed I would do it. My friends cleaned all their old silver and to me it looks horrible, but that's how they like it. One said he polished his 8 reale right until he could see his reflection. That is true!

Last edited:

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
So the shipwreck guys better stop cleaning those 8 Reales? :)

I think the shipwreck guys use electrolosis to get the coral and clumps off..
If they found an 8 Reales on the deck of a shipwreck do you think they would zap it...Absolutely not!!!
Keep trying IP...

Blaze

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread