The flat gold pan............

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For stream side panning, I advanced to planting my butt on a rock or the stream bank a long time ago. Even then I can't stand up straight for a while.:laughing7:

According to what I read online, this type of pan is one that is preferred, for it's class, in world championship speed panning competitions such as the one to be held at the El Dorado County Gold Week in Placerville later this year.

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I will just stick with my EZ Pan.......
When you watch the video the guy using the EZ Pan isn't in too big a hurry.... I bet he could cut his time considerably....
From the 45 second mark to 1:35 he has already dramatically reduced the contents down to less than that of the flat pan.

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The speed panning events that I've attended had winning times generally between 15 to 20 seconds and contained 8 large pickers (small nuggets) Using a standard 10" finishing pan.

The record I believe is 7.15 seconds.
Set at the 42nd Annual World Open Championships April 2004 by Johnny E. Parker of Dahlonega, GA

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
The speed panning events that I've attended had winning times generally between 15 to 20 seconds and contained 8 large pickers (small nuggets) Using a standard 10" finishing pan.

GG~

I really don't consider a rigged pan (8 large pickers) a contest.........:laughing7:

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

The record I believe is 7.15 seconds.
Set at the 42nd Annual World Open Championships April 2004 by Johnny E. Parker of Dahlonega, GA

GG~

Different animal or the same type of rules as shown in the video below? They begin with 10 to 12.5 kgs (22 to 24.5 pounds of material) and their record is just over a minute I think.

This is the organization. World goldpanning Association and these are the current guidelines Competition Category Guidelines.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started googling the events and found several "world gold panning championships" that had nothing to do with one another. All were different organizations with different rules. You would think something like that would be standardized. :dontknow:

Here is an example of one such animal Called "world open gold panning championship".....
http://worldopenpanning.homestead.com/

Last edited:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Guess gold is where you find it. That bending over stuff comes back to haunt you down the road. Interesting demonstration, but I prefer just sitting here and watching...

Vagadero

Dec 3, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried that flat and didn't liked. Those pans are excellent for competition but unpractical in the woods.
They are lightweight and fast but too big and fragile to be called portable. You can't use them in a small steam. They need a calm water or the water will wash away your dirt before finishing.

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many types of pans, I've even used my plastic cereal bowl and it worked to a point. I've settled on the Bat Pan even though it takes some getting used to especially when setting it down on the ground, I make a small hole do put the pointed end into and as long as it is not full of water or solids it stays there pretty well.

Panning is not my first joy in life as in general it really messes with ones back being bent over like that or kneeling at the streams edge. So, I bring along an ~ 18" square of 1/2" thick backpacking foam, find a convenient spot in a river or creek to sit down in and simple sit on the foam while resting my back against a rock or the bank. The water in NorCal is about 54 degrees where I like to be at and the sun can be really hot during the summer months so it all evens out.

I watch folks discarding all the big rocks like they were a plague and have done that myself. One time I looked at my pile of sorted rocks and thought to myself if there was any larger pieces of gold or a specimen piece it would be in that pile. I checked through it and yes there was a nice piece of gold that had not gone through my 1/16" sifter. Then I learned to use my metal detector to check the rocks at the end of the sluice box or the rocks from my large rock classified pile. Sometimes there is a pleasant surprise waiting in that pile.................63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread