The game starts changing now

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mother nature is starting to stir, those northeasters starting to become more evident as we tip-toe into November and December. For those who can, and for those who are still willing to swing their thing on the beach despite the change in seasons then there is, perhaps, no better time to be on the beach. From now through about April/May, depending on the arrival of those warmer southerly winds, the beach will experience a great deal of change, more in some places then in others. All summer long the sand has continued to pile up one heap after the other but now mother nature is slowing gearing up to reclaim a great deal of it. In the months ahead she's going frequently strip the sand from the beach, those deep targets below often becoming exposed, and at least for a short period of time, left unprotected and well within range of your machine. If the fury of the sea gets angry enough some targets will even get cast onto the beach from their underwater haunts. It's usually chilly hunting and sometimes it's down right cold, sometimes even bitter cold, but for many who choose to endure these discomforts it will be worth it, their pockets and pouches often bringing treasure home. It's seldom easy hunting and it's seldom all that much fun, tis the season for the hardiest of the lot and you can bet they're preparing for it, if they're not already prepared, which is far more likely. Now it's just a matter of time, the waiting game, as Mother nature is finally on the move again. :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are my bins for the past week. Trash on the left and right, few pocket knives, clad, lead and the .50 cal shell. The yellowish rock looking thing have a nice signal. I am assuming its due to the method of crafting. I am sure someone has some info. Besides electrolysis what's a good method to clean the shell casing? image-919216460.jpg image-1908138784.jpg

Oldest coins 2 dimes 67 and 66 and one 66 quarter

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow.. You did your good deed cleaning the beaches for the week.
The clad looks pretty fresh.
Most of mine has been there for a while mabey because I tend to target older layers of beach.

ForumRunner_20131111_182110.png

I got one 1944 wheat.
Sounds like you found where the Jensen public coins found a flat spot to gather.
Nice haul.
Mabey if you try a bit north of there in the low tide zone you could find some rings
I bet I know right where you got that casing... is there a 43 stamped on the bottom?
Did you know there are still gun turrets visible there when we have enough erosion?
About cleaning the bullet casing.. I've never cleaned mine but something like Brasso will probably work.

Last edited:

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep I tumbled the coins today to read days half were green with light crust rest were fairly clean. Casing is encrusted with sand going to soak it for a bit to loosen it a bit. I'll let you know on the stamp. Ever since I got back from Tampa been on a ring drought. The blog has posted a number of the rings recovered over the summer. Was thinking about some pepper park in the early hours Tommorrow, leaving Jensen now with 90% bottle caps and rest foil lol

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch.
Good luck to you.. I'll bet you a dollar it's stamped 43.

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much of a betting fella unless for who is buying the coffee :p that casing was found north of Jensen south of waveland on the foot of the cut renourishment about 8-10" down in the shell. I also found a wheat today think its 50s d mint. I'll check and post a pic, still crusty but legible. I'm still new enough bottle caps are fun lol

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Gonna head out early am. Winds are picking up. Did my first night hunt for about three hours. Had an awsome time collecting the peeps beach negligence. I think Heineken was on sale this weekend. GO FINS. Florida Night Football

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is today's wheat

image-805815625.jpg

image-814914363.jpg

I'll be walking with hip mounted Excalibur Sponge, stop and visit is you see me

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You were close Gator

image-4024912932.jpg

image-262079093.jpg

The second photo though is my interest this week. Kinda resembles the piece you found with the pottery. Does your item give a signal to your machine? I remember reading something about an item like that in the beach report, going to have to look into that

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
South Florida guys be ready .. this next swell has alot of north to it.
A big fetch was directed straight down the gulf stream.
Palm beach county down to Miami should see this one.
There should also be alot more power behind these organized swells.
Surfers be ready Wed. Swell should get here before the wind.. may even get some offshores in the a.m.
There should be some good angle to this one.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That doesn't look like pottery to me.
But it does look like sandstone.
That can absorb salt..if its built up enough concentrated salt content it can read about the same as foil to your machine.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pottery can do that sometimes too.
Another Possibility is Natural iron content... Or something metal deteriorating close to it.
This big piece reads on my detector.
Aahhrrr ..off by one year.
Cool story behind that shell casing.
It was made in 1942 and used locally in 1943 in training for the D-Day invasion of Normandy beach.

ForumRunner_20131111_214529.png

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, my grandfather was on a destroyer in WWII and never missed his story's. We would goto pay beach every weekend with him, he would get into lavish story's of nazi u-boats off the coast. I'm a lucky lad to have known him. That his ships logo and numbers on the profile. USS Kidd and would fly the Jolly Roger. Here is a link to .50cal manufacturers for the period.

http://www.nebraskaaircrash.com/50caliber.html

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you to all the Veterans today and every day.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
South Florida guys be ready .. this next swell has alot of north to it.
A big fetch was directed straight down the gulf stream.
Palm beach county down to Miami should see this one.
There should also be alot more power behind these organized swells.
Surfers be ready Wed. Swell should get here before the wind.. may even get some offshores in the a.m.
There should be some good angle to this one.

looks realy good but turns into ene and east pretty quickly!! im thinking of hunting weds eve but am unsure of being able to park in a lot of places, not real familiar with anything south of seagrape/turtle trail.

chuck.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will be quick.
If I can I will help..
Send a PM. if you'd like.

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Least it's not lauderdale south with that pay to park stuff. Be safe today and hope your coil passes over the right target

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will hit the entire coast.. it's just at enough of an angle to slide between us and the Bahamas and hit the section normally in their shadow during east and ENE swells.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going to be a quick hit and switch, but at least it's a start in the right direction.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions