OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Plumber, The campground is between the creek and the road. That is where he probably pulled over and planted it. It might be right there in that campground. You said you went up and down the road, is that on the map or did you go up there? If you find it, leave one of those $1,000 bills in the chest for me.

Call me a Plumber

Dec 17, 2007
I have never been there just on google earth but if I did live in the area I would have invested in ground radar and looked into the records of that cemetery across the road and in the field next to the creek which looks like 20 to 30 acres. The Plumber

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Pumber, Its a large metal chest. Two guys who were not spring chickens carried it from the road and dug a hole and buried it. I dough if there is more than a foot and a half of soil on top of it. I don't think you need GPR. Any modern PI would scream if you passed over it, in fact a lot of the better detectors of today could find it. I just saw a post on NY detectors rules and it stated you can't use a detector in state parks. NY state parks are odd in that they are composed of state and private land. I haven't jiggered that one out yet.
On your Google Earth map did it show what areas are park land? Frank

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Here's an interesting note! I was doing some more research into gangsters and I found some notes that indicated Al Capone had a place on Palm Island that he stayed at. It also indicated that he was making $100M a year and probably stashed some of it on the island. This was in 1928 & 29. Any of you guys from Florida ever searched Palm Island? Is it big? Do people live there now? Is it connected to Mainland? Come on you guys, a little help please.

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see another Geraldo special somewhere in the future :laughing7: Kudos to you for living the dream, but, I'd say you have a snowball's chance in hell of finding it. Without a dedicated team of researchers, access to search the potential properties & the right equipment, it'll be like chasing a carrot on a stick. Oh yeah, most of the "treasure stories" & "leads" that are on the internet and in magazines are a crock of s#@t :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
njnydigger, that's the way I have always lived my life. I dream a dream and try to make it come true. It usually does, but if it doesn't ,I don't dwell on it.
My dad once told me,"It is better to have tried and lost than to have never tried and never know if you could have won."

Try it once . You might surprise yourself.

By the way Terry is quite reliable, he doesn't make them up.
Frank

Call me a Plumber

Dec 17, 2007
Hey franken the plumber here, again the name of that cemetery I think is the Van Kleek cemetery. Another fleeting thought brought on by old age.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with #25. Most publish stories are untrue. Best of luck to all of you.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Danny, There are two types of treasure hunters, optimist and pessimist.
The optimist keeps looking, trying to prove or disprove a story he is interested in. The pessimist takes a fast look and explores no options then gives up. Which one do you think has found the bulk of the treasure discovered? The thing is, big finds in this country are seldom advertised if there is an option. Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread