The Giving Pothole

cyberborikua

Apr 11, 2011
Chicago
Detector(s) used
BH 505, BH Tracker IV, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Track,Tesoro Sand Shark, Cobra Beach Master, Radio Shack Micronta 3001
No doubt that potholes are a big problem everywhere. But in Chicago, they are a real nuissance. Every winter potholes in Chicago pop up by the 1000s leaving our streets and roads like war fields. The problem is exemplified in this Youtube clip: (External Embedding Disabled)

But today, I was exiting a commercial parking lot when I suddenly looked at the ground and saw a pothole between the avenue and the entrance of the lot (you must keep an eye on those to protect your tires and rims). To my surprise there were a bunch of pennies inside the pothole . I said, no way, those pennies just found an owner :headbang:. I parked my truck again and stepped out to pick up 44 pennies :laughing9:. As seen in the picture (shame on me for not carrying my camera with me), the pennies looked washed meaning that they had been sitting there for a few days. Of course waiting for me to pass by and pick'em up. Passers looked at me like this guy is crazy, but hey, pennies are money and I'd have to dig over 60-80 holes to collect that many pennies. Besides, how many times one will come across a pothole giving you anything but trouble. :dontknow:

Attachments

• Pot Hole Cache.jpg
    Pot Hole Cache.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 564
Upvote 0

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story :thumbsup: I too always wondered why a detectorist would take 5 minutes to dig a hole for a penny, but, will not just bend down & pick one up in the street :icon_scratch: BTW, sometimes it pays off being the "nutcase". Keep marching to the beat of your own band :hello2:

OP
OP
cyberborikua

cyberborikua

Apr 11, 2011
Chicago
Detector(s) used
BH 505, BH Tracker IV, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Track,Tesoro Sand Shark, Cobra Beach Master, Radio Shack Micronta 3001
njnydigger said:
Great story :thumbsup: I too always wondered why a detectorist would take 5 minutes to dig a hole for a penny, but, will not just bend down & pick one up in the street :icon_scratch: BTW, sometimes it pays off being the "nutcase". Keep marching to the beat of your own band :hello2:

My wife laughed her lungs out when I told her what I did. I said, honey, 999999.56 more pennies and I got you the diamonds ring you always wanted :headbang:

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
cyberborikua

cyberborikua

Apr 11, 2011
Chicago
Detector(s) used
spitfire55 said:

Thanks. I need to keep an eye on those lucrative potholes :laughing7:

mobile miner

Mar 10, 2010
njnydigger said:
[/
well said quote]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions