Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Golden Lady is an Elgin

Eight days since I last hunted this park in Reisterstown and I had a "first ever" find ...an Octagonal-shaped Lady Elgin pocket watch. The case back is marked "Warranted to Assay 14K". I haven't tested it, but it came out of the ground looking like gold. I know that the case was manufactured by Brooklyn Watch Case Company. There are three sets of numbers engraved on case back and the watch works has a number as well. What I can tell you is that finding this type of watch at this site is entirely within the period and use of the grounds. In the same area as the watch, I also found a clasp piece with a scroll work design. Heading over to the tot lot area I found a handful of clad to complete this couple hour hunt after work. Thanks for checking out the pics and any help you can lend on dating the watch is appreciated; my date range guess is 1870 to 1920.
HH:)
LadyElgin14K.jpg Case_back_14K.jpg Lady_Elgin.jpg clasp_with_scrollwork.jpg clad.jpg

UPDATE!

Broke down the watch by removing front and back of case, cleaned the broken crystal and rebuilt it from the four pieces, removed corrosion from the dial (which revealed most of the numerals and the 'N' in 'Elgin'), and then reassembled the parts to complete this amateur restoration.
View attachment 1177518

Last edited:
Upvote 14
OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for the link. I did enough electrolysis to get the complete identifying number sequence on the plate marked "Lady Elgin U.S.A.". It is 20920205. I've attached the report from the Elgin number lookup. This confirms the projected age offered by others who've commented.
Watch_ID.jpg

Attachments

• Watch_ID.jpg
    Watch_ID.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Broke down the watch by removing front and back of case, cleaned the broken crystal and rebuilt it from the four pieces, removed corrosion from the dial (which revealed most of the numerals and the 'N' in 'Elgin'), and then reassembled the parts to complete this amateur restoration.
restored.jpg

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting