Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A quick switch to single freq will also tell the tale on those "teens" bottlecap readings.

I was at a park today hunting for a gold ring (no luck). I decided to test something. Every time I hit a good, clear mid tone, I switched briefly to 10 kHz (which I had set as a "custom mode" under the user button). On rusty steel bottlecaps, most foil, etc., the ID would be substantially higher, and jumpy, in 10 kHz as compared to the way it read in Multi. Meanwhile, on a "good" target (like a nickel) plus a ring tab, rectangular tab, and those round foil lids from drink bottles, the ID stayed consistent/steady/nearly identical to the ID given in Multi. I will be testing much more with this, as I do think this will be a way to cut ALOT of trash digging. I have been aware of this "trick," for awhile now, but today was the first day I experimented with it heavily -- on every mid-tone target. This test seems to "weed out" things that are either not round/uniform in shape (like can slaw or irregular pieces of aluminum foil), OR those things that have some type of iron/steel in the alloy. Things that are of a better-quality (entirely non-ferrous) alloy, and are round or consistent in shape (like a nickel, or an aluminum pull tab) will give nearly identical ID in both Multi, and in single.

Steve

Last edited:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some flattened out bottle caps will ring a positive 28 - 29 no matter what you do. In general if you pump the coil you can tell it's a bottle cap or trash. That's what makes metal detecting interesting. It's smiles and frowns but you still dig the next one. I agree with Truth about cans at 12" and deeper. Not so bad to find them on the beach but when you dig them with a Lesche it's disappointing but most often I know it's a can before I dig but I can't resist the temptation not to dig. I did find a nickel under a 12" can once.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some flattened out bottle caps will ring a positive 28 - 29 no matter what you do. In general if you pump the coil you can tell it's a bottle cap or trash. That's what makes metal detecting interesting. It's smiles and frowns but you still dig the next one. I agree with Truth about cans at 12" and deeper. Not so bad to find them on the beach but when you dig them with a Lesche it's disappointing but most often I know it's a can before I dig but I can't resist the temptation not to dig. I did find a nickel under a 12" can once.

Smiles and frowns....you now what we say in New Orleans.... IMG_3004.JPG

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you pumping the coil over target in all metal mode? Try switching to all metal then pump coil on target, if TID jumps all over its trash.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions