The "Great Kentucky Hoard" news article (700 gold coins unearthed)

Johnny Cache

Greenie
Oct 18, 2008
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Deepseeker w/ BloodHound Antenna
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This article from The Daily Mail (U.K.) details the unearthing of Civil War gold coins found in Kentucky:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...orth-MILLIONS-know-youre-sitting-fortune.html

73093935-12287423-image-a-11_1689095171761.jpg

That'd make your heart beat a little faster. 8-)

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache

Greenie
Oct 18, 2008
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Deepseeker w/ BloodHound Antenna
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still, it’s an incredible find…!
Gold has a lot of implications these days. I read on Wiki that the sale of gold is taxed at a rate of 28%. That dissuades some from buying gold.

Mom told us kids that her mom (my grandmother) used to work at the "Malleable Iron Works" in Indianapolis during the 'Depression' years and that they paid all their employees in gold coin. Then gold was confiscated - don't remember when she said.
I do recall hearing a story about a guy who had a rare gold coin that'd been in his family for years and he allowed a Treasury official to take it to be authenticated. They kept it and wouldn't return it to him, saying that it was illegally not surrendered and so it was still an illicit coin and therefore it was property of the treasury.

HOOKINDAFOOT

May 28, 2023
? English Territory
Without knowing the specifics probably a 20% chance the Hoard is real. I'm sure the gold is real though. Ever since Saddle Ridge which was also a "partially fake" but stated as an actual Hoard find. Clowns fake a lot of stories. Jumps up the value of the coins if their is a "story",Of a Hoard Find.

Story appeared in the Daily Mail, that should tell you something about it's journalistic accuracy and reliability.
:binkybaby::sign12::icon_salut:

Last edited:

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without knowing the specifics probably a 20% chance the Hoard is real. I'm sure the gold is real though. Ever since Saddle Ridge which was also a "partially fake" but stated as an actual Hoard find. Clowns fake a lot of stories. Jumps up the value of the coins if their is a "story",Of a Hoard Find.

Story appeared in the Daily Mail, that should tell you something about it's journalistic accuracy and reliability.
:binkybaby::sign12::icon_salut:

Saddle ridge hoard was part fake? I didn’t hear that. Do you have any info?

HOOKINDAFOOT

May 28, 2023
? English Territory
Honestly after looking at the picture, looks like a fake find to me. Seems like if it was real there would of been a lot more silver involved in the find.
Probably a local coin dealer looking to unload some gold coins. Seller probably asking premium for coins.
PASS
Anyways why would someone bury there silver with that much gold? It seems to me with that ratio of silver to gold, most people would of just buried the gold and pocketed the silver. Used the silver for possible spending money. Would that amount of silver be worth Burying? I think not.
Just looks odd to me.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly after looking at the picture, looks like a fake find to me. Seems like if it was real there would of been a lot more silver involved in the find.
Probably a local coin dealer looking to unload some gold coins. Seller probably asking premium for coins.
PASS
You do realize they've already been graded and slabbed. Several new variations as well.

HOOKINDAFOOT

May 28, 2023
? English Territory
You do realize they've already been graded and slabbed. Several new variations as well.
Look at the variations in color on the silver. Obviously it was from different collectors, there wouldn't be that many variations in color if silver was buried together for 150 years.
Don't doubt the coins are real, just the story that it was found as a hoard.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread