The "Great Kentucky Hoard" news article (700 gold coins unearthed)

NevadaDave

Jun 19, 2012
Henderson, NV
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS III, IV, V, AT-4, Scorpion, ACE 250 and AT-Pro. Tesoro Bandito II U-max, Lobo ST, and Cortes. Fisher 1266, F2, F75, and Gold Bug Pro. Whites Coinmaster, GMT, MXT and Prizm 4. (and a f
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I found any hoard like this or any object that had substantial value, the LAST thing I would do would be to blabber it all over the internet. Karl von Mueller Said that a person who does that is called a “flunky,” because doing so would bring immediate government involvement and dozens of “claimants” swearing it belongs to them.
Since I believe that most people operate in the common-sense world, I view this “find” with a huge amount of skepticism.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm gonna use your quote ( RESEARCH IT YOURSELF)!!!!!!!!!!! 🇺🇲

Last edited by a moderator:

HOOKINDAFOOT

May 28, 2023
? English Territory
I'm gonna use your quote ( RESEARCH IT YOURSELF)!!!!!!!!!!! 🇺🇲
No need, I can Tell by the layout & Circumstance it's most likely a hoax, just not interested. Now the guys that doctored Sadle Ridge, interesting because pretty sure a lot of the haul was from the Robery of the San Francico Mint Collection Robery. (the room with all the coins minted in San Francisco) also some special mint coins. (misreported as a generic gold eagle robbery). Actually the coins found should of been examined returned to the Mint and the couple interviewed for where the rest of the gold coins are that were traded out for coins from outside the area.

Last edited:

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing that seemed odd to me about the story is that the coins were in a corn field. That is, an agricultural field. How have they not been plowed up and discovered decades ago? Is this the first time in 150 years that someone has plowed that field?

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The saddle ridge coins were dated between 1840s-1890s and we’re in circulated condition. None newer. The mint robbery was in 1901. The stolen mint coins would have been dated all the same, 1900 or 1901 and would have been mint state uncirculated. The treasury dept looked at the saddle ridge coins and didn’t pursue it because it was obvious that they were not their stolen coins.

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The saddle ridge coins were dated between 1840s-1890s and were in circulated condition. None newer. The mint robbery was in 1901. The stolen mint coins would have been dated all the same, 1900 or 1901 and would have been mint state uncirculated. The treasury dept looked at the saddle ridge coins and didn’t pursue it because it was obvious that they were not their stolen coins.
That’s what I read as well.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing that seemed odd to me about the story is that the coins were in a corn field. That is, an agricultural field. How have they not been plowed up and discovered decades ago? Is this the first time in 150 years that someone has plowed that field?
There's lots and lots of pasture ground there so it might have only been turned over a year or two is my thgts.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fifty dollar gold coins are larger than a double eagle and there aren't any in these pics. What is it that you are referring to?
Sorry, but I figured those larger coins were fifties
I’m sure there are other denominations like five an two and a half dollars
Who cares?!

HOOKINDAFOOT

May 28, 2023
? English Territory
The saddle ridge coins were dated between 1840s-1890s and we’re in circulated condition. None newer. The mint robbery was in 1901. The stolen mint coins would have been dated all the same, 1900 or 1901 and would have been mint state uncirculated. The treasury dept looked at the saddle ridge coins and didn’t pursue it because it was obvious that they were not their stolen coins.
Misreported, The KGC hit the Coin Collection Room, they didn't just grab a couple bags of newly minted gold eagles., Don't know why it was reported that way, "covering up English involvement again"?
Look at the Dates and Mintings of most of the coins. Don't they seem oddly dated but mostly minted in San Francisco. Saddle Ridge was obviously The San Francisco Mint job find, doctored for some reason to conceal the fact.

Last edited:

HOOKINDAFOOT

May 28, 2023
? English Territory
Sounds like a fake, why would you not just bury them under the house or a chicken koop, corn crib or something. Something landmarked?
I personally would classify it as highly suspect, and wouldn't value the coins for anything more than market value without the moniker Great Kentucky Hoard find, if that's what they are being marketed as.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of land is not plowed very deep
HOOKINDAFOOT, we have rules including on language, please read and follows our rules.
In case you missed it.....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Language?
ENGLISH INVOLVEMENT
Must of touched a nerve, with someone.
:laughing7:
Those Civil War Purests don't like that mentioned.
You have been warned...

HOOKINDAFOOT

May 28, 2023
? English Territory
Actually some Mints had some pretty elegant display rooms around the 1900's hand built furniture glass cases. I have seen some photos before I will try to find them.

Here are a couple of pictures of the SF mint around time of the robbery. Would be surprised if a lot of these were Official Investigation photos associated with the SF Mint Robery.

In fact that might just be Walter Dimmick sitting at that desk right there. The only Picture I know of.

Dimmick might of been in on it, but the main KGC guys got away, could of just ended up a patsy?

• April 14, 1900 The Gold Standard Act fixes the value of the dollar against gold and the United States goes off the bimetallism standard.
Interesting eh

Attachments

• Circa 1900-1928 Coin Cabinet at the Philadelphia Mint20190507172230333.jpg
    Circa 1900-1928 Coin Cabinet at the Philadelphia Mint20190507172230333.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do
Misreported, The KGC hit the Coin Collection Room, they didn't just grab a couple bags of newly minted gold eagles., Don't know why it was reported that way, "covering up English involvement again"?
Look at the Dates and Mintings of most of the coins. Don't they seem oddly dated but mostly minted in San Francisco. Saddle Ridge was obviously The San Francisco Mint job find, doctored for some reason to conceal the fact.

Do you seriously believe that the US gov would let the saddle ridge hoard to be sold off if it was gov property? 🤣 You’re pretty funny.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread