tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took this picture of the Green River going into Jensen, Utah on Hwy 40. In 1776, the Spanish friars Silvestre VĂ©lez de Escalante and Francisco Atanasio DomĂ­nguez crossed the river near present-day Jensen, naming it the Rio de San Buenaventura. No one knows for sure who and how it was ever named the Green River. I wish I had more time on my hands to paddle down it someday, but I don't. It just seems to lure you into wanting to exploring it. There's a lot of really cool country in and around this region of NW Colorado and Utah. I've only got to take the time to look deeper in to it a few times over the years and what little I've seen is awesome country. It's so much less crowded over other areas in the mountain states, which makes it kind of nice.

Attachments

• green river jensen ut 081116.jpg
    green river jensen ut 081116.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 63

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like that picture!:thumbsup: It looks very calm. Would be a great trip to paddle down and camp here and there for a few days, wouldn't it?

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the fur trappers named it the Green River. But then maybe not, I don't really know. ???

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it goes the early trappers or someone called it the Green River because at certain times it's green in color or there was an early trapper who's last name was Green the river was named after. So yes it was most likely what the early fur trappers came to know the river as that gave it the name that stuck. I kind of like the name the Spaniards gave it. That name I think goes better with the Colorado and the Rio Grande rivers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions