The Grocer, The Barber, an Indian and the Messenger

KeyaPaha

Oct 12, 2015
Naper, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D and now M6
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finally got some rain. It has been so dry that I stopped cutting plugs as they didn't "reheal"! Went to a permission that was the yard of a town grocer in 1900. I have previously pulled Vs, Indians and wheats off of this yard. There had to be silver somewhere. The owner's nephew had recently trimmed up some way overgrown cedars along the property line. I started there. The first 3 targets were two quarters and a penny. All 1980! The 4th target turned out to be a pretty 1917 Mercury. YES! Working my way over to the main yard where I have already pulled a bunch of coins in the past, I started working low and slow listening for those faint chirps. Before I was done, I had pulled my second sliver, an 1897 Barber, a 1913 wheatie and an 1883 Indian. Making one last sweep, I got a bouncy penny signal. There was enough there to convince me to dig. At about 7 inches, out rolled a clover shaped object. Cleaning it up I found I had a 25 cents off token from a J. A. Marcellus and Son from Monowi, NE. A check of the 1900 census found a John A. Marcellus with an 18 year old son living close to Monowi.

Upvote 7

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds Ill bet theres lots more there always nice to have a productive spot Thanks for sharing your finds Ill be watching for more!!!!!!!

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on your finds. Would love to see pictures of the token, it sounds like a good one.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outstanding.gif
Nice finds! Thanks for sharing...

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the great finds! It's amazing what some rain will do to produce more goodies.

-- Jeff --

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds! I don't see the token listed in the Nebraska Trade Tokens book - please post pics here and on tokencatalog.com if you would.
John in the Great 208

JerseyDigger19

Apr 20, 2015
West Orange, NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That Monowi NE token is awesome. The town had 100 residents in 1910 but now it has a population of one! It hs to be rare.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread