Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
"The Gun Is Civilization"

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that's it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force.

The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gang banger, and a single guy on equal footing with a carload of drunk guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we'd be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for a [armed] mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger's potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat - it has no validity when most of a mugger's potential marks are armed.

People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

Then there's the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser.

People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don't constitute lethal force watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level.

The gun is the only weapon that's as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weight lifter. It simply wouldn't work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn't both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation... And that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.

By Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret.)

So, the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
How polite a society we would have if Everyone carried a 45!!!

God Bless all you polite folks! Chris

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Probably make some folks think twice before they spouted off or jumped a stranger.

Of necessity, an armed society is a polite society.

On the other hand, an unarmed society is helpless.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Probably make some folks think twice before they spouted off or jumped a stranger.

Of necessity, an armed society is a polite society.

On the other hand, an unarmed society is helpless.

Attachments

• 130520_sheep-forward_225.jpg
    130520_sheep-forward_225.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 92
OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
You read my mind WT.I was looking for this thread a week or so ago but forgot the title of it and couldnt find it,I was going to bump it.The Major is one commonsense filled leatherneck.:icon_thumleft:

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, Red, you've possibly started another thread that a lot of us might like. I'm kinda into guns. I have a little Bersa .380 for carry, a couple of .22 revolvers, about 17 (?) .22 rifles, a .17 Mach 2 rifle, a pump 12 gauge, a single shot .410, a bolt action 20 gauge, and a double barreled 20 gauge. I like to take several of them out to a site that I go to, or a range, and spend some time just plinkin' away. I've bought several of these guns that were needing a lot of work and have spent quite a bit of time in the winter, and some in the summer, refinishing them. I'm a firm believer in the right to carry. Here in Idaho, one can carry a gun in plain sight without a permit; or can carry concealed with a permit. (I got my ccw several years ago.) I hope this thread takes off like the "Bunker" one did!

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny how folks call you paranoid for having guns for personal protection and then go down and buy a first aid kit, all kinds of insurance, fasten their seatbelts, get a flu shot, lock their front door or perform any number of such acts and don't consider themselves paranoid. I'd like to see these people prepare for violence as they do other things so overall crime could be reduced significantly.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
I insure that I am always in the company of 'polite' people by never being out of arm'a reach of a personal firearm . If they don't choose to be polite in the beginning and are not willing to allow me to walk quietly away they will very quickly become VERY polite :icon_thumright:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My first signature line was an armed society is a polite society.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, Red, you've possibly started another thread that a lot of us might like. I'm kinda into guns. I have a little Bersa .380 for carry, a couple of .22 revolvers, about 17 (?) .22 rifles, a .17 Mach 2 rifle, a pump 12 gauge, a single shot .410, a bolt action 20 gauge, and a double barreled 20 gauge. I like to take several of them out to a site that I go to, or a range, and spend some time just plinkin' away. I've bought several of these guns that were needing a lot of work and have spent quite a bit of time in the winter, and some in the summer, refinishing them. I'm a firm believer in the right to carry. Here in Idaho, one can carry a gun in plain sight without a permit; or can carry concealed with a permit. (I got my ccw several years ago.) I hope this thread takes off like the "Bunker" one did!

No offense whatsoever my friend - but your alias evokes a favorite song!

Deep

Last edited:

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Deep

I didn't think about 'Big Iron' when I chose the name. It was in about 1971 and I had just got my first CB radio. I'm not sure/don't remember how I came up with the name. A few days later, I remembered the song. Yes, Marty was great; really like his tales (in song) about the old West.
In about 1997 I started using the internet and tried to use the same name. It was already in use, so I tried texasred7, in use, then texasred77, in use. So I thought about the 777 on the slot machines. I have used it ever since.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I insure that I am always in the company of 'polite' people by never being out of arm'a reach of a personal firearm . If they don't choose to be polite in the beginning and are not willing to allow me to walk quietly away they will very quickly become VERY polite :icon_thumright:

My thoughts EXACTLY.... !!!!!

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
I am new here. Great post, and thanks for bumping it up to where I could see it. Let us be careful though not to fall into the leftist commy trap of arguing that our God given, inalienable right to bear arms is just for our own personal defense. Our founding document that Declared Our Independence from England made clear that we have a right to personal Liberty, and that governments instituted among men are just a necessary evil. The main, primary, and underlying need for government is to protect and ensure our personal Liberties. To protect our individual liberties we empower Sheriffs and local law enforcement to assist in protecting us from other individuals, gangs, mobs etc. within our sovereign States, that are united in the within USA. We empower our Federal Government to armies to assist in protecting our individual liberties from foreign gangs, mobs and foreign armies. We empower ourselves to keep and bear arms to protect our individual liberties from our own local law enforcement, and Federal government run amok, as much as we do for just personal defense. Let us not surrender our inalienable rights to cast off our own government, when we find it no longer protects our individual liberties, we may need that option before this current corruption is over with.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
"...we may need that option before this current corruption is over with."

That worked out so well for Daniel Shays. And for those Pennsylvania farmers who didn't think President George Washington was prepared to collect Federal taxes.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Deep

I still have this album.. Listen to it quite a bit.

My handle came from this album, guess which song?

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
davest:

My favorite is "Running Gun." Live by the gun. Die by the gun.

It's a terrible truth that since Robert Kennedy was shot down in a Los Angeles hotel (June 4, 1968), more Americans have been killed by guns here at home than died in every war in this country's history. Fewer members of the US Military - from the Revolution through the Civil War, World War I, World War II, Afghanistan and Iraq - have lost their lives than the number of Americans shot dead in just those 44 years.

if that is "civilization" we haven't advanced very far...

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread