The "heat" is called on Trout

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
The "heat" is called on Trout

Evening all. First let me say I have no pics yet as the wife and kids are away for the weekend and she took the camera! doh! Didn't see that coming lol. I scored $0.75 in clad, a Hot Wheels car, a heavy fake gold coloured crown (startled me when it first came out of the dirt!) that looks like a chess piece or something, and a ka-zillion pulltabs and beer caps. We Canadians love our beer, even in a public park :tongue3:!

The interesting part is when the heat arrived. I was taking a break under a little maple, drinking water and havin a smoke when I notice a lady staring at me from her 2nd floor window. She was directly across from the soccer field I was working and watched me the whole time. Break done I got up and resumed my search along the edge of the field all the while casually glancing up. There she was for a good 1/2 hour staring at me. I just knew something was up.

Just then I heard a dirt bike coming through the trees along the path and knowing motorized vehicles are not allowed in City parks I groaned inwardly. I knew the only people with that prerogative also come with badges and guns. Sure enough out from the trees comes this dirt-bike ridin', aviator sun-glass wearin', gun totin', badge wieldin' big mean SOB. Well at this point that's how he looked to me.....

Turns out to be a real gent tho in the end. We spot each other and he turns towards me and I thought "ohoh, here we go...." Riding up to me he coasts to a stop, shuts his bike off and says " Morning son, whatchya up to?" I thought this was funny as I'm 38 and looked to be about the same age as him. Don't matter though I guess. I told him what I "was up to" and he replies with "we got a report that some guy was digging up the park with a shovel and some strange contraption."

Showing him my Leche and my MD I tell him this must be the shovel and this here is the strange contraption. He tells me he's not sure if I should be digging up the park (not sure??? you're the cop!) and I point behind me and say "I've dug at least a dozen holes along the side of the field here, let's take a walk and you tell me if I'm destroying the park." I also show him the little pile of trash I always collect during my hunts that I will in turn find a park garbage can when I leave. Pretty hard to argue with that eh?

SO we do, and within 20 sec's he's happy with my handi-work wishes me well, politely says a firm "NO" when I ask if I can hold his gun, and rides off down the path. Damn I wished I had the camera, I would've asked him for a pic together LOL !

I waited till he was well out of site, waved to the woman in the window, and went on with my business. First time that's ever happened to me, was a strange day indeed!

Happy hunting!

Trout.

Upvote 0

AZ-Mtnman

Jul 25, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Re: The "heat" is called on Trout

Next time, where a turban there, she'd wet her britches.

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland

Hey, you can't get upset with the nosey neighbor,
you ARE her life.

"When the mundane have not the
intellegence to come to grips with their 'life', they
immerse themselves in the lives of those that have
broken out of mediocracy and are enjoying it!"

And you can quote me on that!
You handled it well and served us all proud!!! :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut:

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado

Good morning CT from GRB in Trinidad, Colorado!
Your story reminds me of one of mine own.

Last year, I was working a local park and noticed an older lady pulling weeds in her yard caddycornered from where I was.
She kept glancing up, watching my every move. Funny, one senses how these sort of things eventually pan out. After about 30 minutes of googling she finally caught me down on the ground, digging up a target. She yelled over asking "Just what are you doing?" I heard her but took my own sweet time, eventually removing my headphones. I finally looked up, asking "Mam?"
"What are you doing?" ---"What do you mean?" I really like doing this sort of thing. :) "You're digging up "my" park!" ---"Your park?" I probably shouldn't have replied in question. I finally stood up and walked over to her, introducing myself. I explained I lived locally and was just trying to enjoy my hobby. The old lady suddenly turned really sweet. Or, I thought. We talked for a few minutes and parted ways. I noticed she immediately turned; going into her house. It wasn't 5 minutes and the police showed up telling me they had received a report of a strange man digging up the park! Lol! I've never seen that lady again although there's hardly a week goes by that I don't go to that same park MD'ing.

GRB

Dirt Dobber

Jun 24, 2008
Midlands of S.Carolina
Detector(s) used
R/S Discovery(BH IV) cousin

WTG!!! I to wish that you had your camera, a big smiling pic of a park cop, what a Kodak moment. Keep cool. D.D.

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum

I bet a lot of us have the "cops where onto me" stories lol.
For me, it was a campus security officer. Course, the fact that my digging tool of choice is an 8" knife, I shouldn't be surprised. Short n skinny of it was, he was cool with me, I was cool with him. Even found my first shield nickel with him watching me. Maybe I oughta find him and take him on future hunts lol

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

ah you need to give the poor ole lady a gift to make her day -- say get a little bag and give her all the dangerous debris that you "pulled" form the park --- with a note -- I keep folks like your grand kids safe while they playing in park by removing stuff like this. hope you don't mind me protecting folks from harm ---have a nice day. :tongue3:

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The other day my huntin partner and I hit a new park. We were busy doin are thing early before most people were up. We kept gettin this flash of light out of the corner of our eyes. My buddy finally noticed we had our own paparazzi. An old gal in her kitchen window was takin our picture about every 3 minutes. Then a cop car circled the park at our end about 6 times and left. He must of figured we were harmless. I am sure he was there because of our devoted fan. I never knew I was that famous. Luck in the hunt.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

UTcoinshootR

Mar 5, 2008
UT!
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, DFX300

That old biddy may be good for something. I took my kid to the park the other day and noticed some jerk had detected it and trashed the lawn. Plugs were still left upside down next to the hole! And this is a nice park too. I wish i could have caught this jerk cause I would have called the cops on him after I myself hassled him. Then I would stay and tell the cop that not all of us are like that. I fixed a few of the bad holes that I spotted as best I could. Moral of the story is if that old biddy called the cops on this clown he would have been kicked out for sure. And rightfully so. (Still she needs to get a life lol)

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The keepers of the neighborhood. . . ready, fire, aim! . . . their hearts are in the right place but. . . ::)

Last summer I was hunting a torn up street (piles of dirt & debris everywhere) for about an hour and when I returned to my car, there was a printed out copy of the Antiquities law taped to my car's windshield. . . that I suspect was placed there by the lady that was watching us from across the street.

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum

S'amazing to me...

a man who has been arrested for drunk driving can still get behind the wheel of a car..

known pedophiles can walk the streets...

and we get our chops busted for digging up a few coins that nobody even knew were there...

(steps off his soapbox)

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250

CowboyKolo said:
S'amazing to me...

people can be licensed to carry a gun inside their coat pocket...

a man who has been arrested for drunk driving can still get behind the wheel of a car..

and we get our chops busted for digging up a few coins that nobody even knew were there...

(steps off his soapbox)

So you put law-abiding gun owners in the same category as drunk drivers and pedophiles?

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum

MrBling said:
CowboyKolo said:
S'amazing to me...

people can be licensed to carry a gun inside their coat pocket...

(steps off his soapbox)

So you put law-abiding gun owners in the same category as drunk drivers and pedophiles?

Good point....that particular part of my anaology didn't come out the way I meant it...consider it deleted :D

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6

Been there, done that. At least you knew who call the police on you. I never found out who called the sheriff and told them some guy was digging up the soccor field and damaging it. Had a nice chat with the officer and offered to walk the soccor field so he could look for the damage. He just glanced over the field and then declined. Asked me if I was digging large holes that anyone would trip over and get hurt. I just laughed and said of course not. He replied " Didn't think so." We discussed the hobby and he left.

I was a bit rattled from the encounter and had an early day. The police have to respond to such calls. But the folks who make them need to get a life.

Ray S

OP
OP
CanadianTrout

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Thanks for the comments guys! ya was a strange day for me, I'm still kinda new so I guess I busted my cop cherry!

Trout.

Mr_Mojo_Risin

Apr 29, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

"Cop Cherry"...disturbing. JK. Sorry to hear they called the fuzz but at least to came out smellin' like a rose

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions