The heat was hot...

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
and pennies everywhere!!! I had to drive my girlfriend 70 miles to watch her son perform today and on the way noticed two school tot lots. Dropped her off and hit school #1 and the digging began, have I mentioned pennies yet??? Well, I dug a ton of pennies and even a dime or two. Found three junk rings and a cheapo necklace too. I just became too hot so left without finishing the lot and cooled down as I headed to the other school. Same dance there, a ton of pennies along with a few other pieces of change and a small knife as well. I did the same there, leaving without finishing the tot lot again. I was using my Ace 250 and had no drink or cell phone or anything. This was not the place to be without watching who was looking or coming close. You might call it a bad part of town. I think with water to drink I may have stayed, but four hours was enough today. My totals were:

16 Quarters
39 Dimes
19 Nickels
141 pennies
3 Canadian pennies
218 coins $10.29

Attachments

• 0808 001.jpg
    0808 001.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 689
Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt in spite of the heat wave you all are having! Nice pile of finds. Make sure you keep the fluid intake up out there in that heat, heat stroke can hit you easier than you think. I have a few of those small bottles of water stashed in the car for those days I forget my water. You might start separating your zinc pennies from copper pennies (1982 and before) since you are finding so many, I was quoted around $2.00 per pound for copper last week at a metal recycling facility I drive past every day to and from work. I am now separating my trash, LOL. HH, Mike

OP
OP
Jack(IN)

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
txkickergirl said:
Dang you really need to carry water with you! Just no unopen can soft drinks, I just had one blow up in my car this week and it was not pretty!!!!

Be careful and be safe at all times

that was a lot of pennies

Nooo soft drinks, does not quench the thirst at all!! Water and lots of it, I just wasn't prepared and being a former Marine, bad on me!! Of course I wasn't expecting to hit a spot with alot of coins either!!

OP
OP
Jack(IN)

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bavaria Mike said:
Awesome hunt in spite of the heat wave you all are having! Nice pile of finds. Make sure you keep the fluid intake up out there in that heat, heat stroke can hit you easier than you think. I have a few of those small bottles of water stashed in the car for those days I forget my water. You might start separating your zinc pennies from copper pennies (1982 and before) since you are finding so many, I was quoted around $2.00 per pound for copper last week at a metal recycling facility I drive past every day to and from work. I am now separating my trash, LOL. HH, Mike

Mike,
I seperate everything, nothing metal is thrown away. Every piece is put in one of my 5 gallon buckets and when I recycle it all goes, and I do sell the pennies too, many worthless wheats, all rings not gold or silver, old watches, lead bullets, brass aluminum, copper and whatever else I dig. Those nuts and bolts, they go too!! Do I get much, not really but it all adds up!!

OP
OP
Jack(IN)

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
piggman1 said:
When you're hot, your're hot!! Way to go on that 200+. It seems like dimes run a close second for not being picked up. It's allways nice to find a spot no one has hit before, or at least for a very long time. Way to go Bud!

Dimes also, but I'm nice enough to pick them up and getting harder and harder to find any spot not hit weekly any more, not like it was 20 years ago!! When I first started I was the only one who hit the local schools, the Parks, the Base I was stationed on and had a blast as well, now if you don't research, you lose chances to find alot of the older stuff!!

Spidey

Feb 20, 2007
Omaha
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Jack(IN) said:
I had to drive my girlfriend 70 miles to watch her son perform today and on the way noticed two school tot lots. Dropped her off and hit school #1 and the digging began...

You are my hero. A lesser man might have been forced to stay and watch. You managed to get 4 hours of detecting out of it!

Nice.

OP
OP
Jack(IN)

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Spidey said:
Jack(IN) said:
I had to drive my girlfriend 70 miles to watch her son perform today and on the way noticed two school tot lots. Dropped her off and hit school #1 and the digging began...

You are my hero. A lesser man might have been forced to stay and watch. You managed to get 4 hours of detecting out of it!

Nice.

I've watched for the last three years, this year she was with more of her family and she knew I wasn't staying. I went to a few of his other shows so I've seen enough this year. And who can resist the chance to swing a coil???

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Jack(IN) said:
Spidey said:
Jack(IN) said:

Nice.

I've watched for the last three years, this year she was with more of her family and she knew I wasn't staying. I went to a few of his other shows so I've seen enough this year. And who can resist the chance to swing a coil???

When you're finding lots of stuff you can get distracted from the heat (temporarily). It's tempting to just keep going, but heat exhaustion will sneak up on you quick!

Congratulations on the finds and be careful!

Ridley

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread