The IDEA THAT GOT AWAY

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I sure a lot of you had this happen. You came up with a great Idea and didn't follow through to make the big bucks.
Here's a starter. In 1971 I designed an alarm system for cars That was fully automatic. You turned off the ignition removed the key and left the car within 45 seconds, this was adjustable,and the alarm armed. When you got back, you opened the door got in and turned the ignition key on to reset the alarm. You had 45 seconds , adjestable also, to turn on the ignition. If some one else entered, the alarm would sound after the 45 sec. The alarm sounding device was a 110db siren inside the car. You couldn't stay in there unless you were deaf. My first test was a 71 Plymouth. It worked with no problems. I installed about 10 units and moved on to something else. Frank

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem was that all 10 of your customers probably went deaf too :laughing9:

But I do know what you mean... Back in late 1968 I draw a picture of a rocket that I knew could get us to the moon... Guess what??? In 1969, someone used my idea and got us there :protest:

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I failed in three instances to get a patent on a design or product only to find someone whom I trusted or worked for or with patented it first. The last one I didn't see coming as the company I worked for had a policy that if you designed something that was of value to their business, then they would pay for the patent plus some royalty and build the units themselves. I specifically designed something outside their business dealing completely, which was in the automobile industry. I showed my design to the wrong person at work. He then told a member of management and he drawed out my design for them. The next thing I knew, they had a patent on it, and I didn't even know until about it until later. I don't know if they ever built one or sold the patent, as for now, I don't care, I have since left that company, but have learned they have patent rights to anything I invent for 5 years afterwards. I have not attempted to get a patent on anything yet, and maybe never will. What I invent, I use for my own purpose. I found it is too easy to get cheated when attempting to get a patent anyway. On one such design, I had already done the patent search and was ready to file, but hesitated, my mistake. I haven't kept up with it recently but 4-5 years ago it cost around $3000 to get a patent, which is partly because of the patent search. I have many CAD designs and some hand drawn designs that I will be building, but I am not going to attempt a patent on any of them. Beware of the patent system and the patent lawyers, especially those seen on TV or radio broadcasts. Good Luck. rockhound

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Odd you brought this up, been working on one for several years now. And, just as soon as I have a clue as to what this great idea will be I'll let you know. :dontknow: :laughing7:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my favorite sayings is:
"Fantastic discoveries are made every day, though they are seldom the ones being looked for." I always felt this statement covered a lot of ground.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I had a great idea... make a bullet that instead of a primer, has a button switch, and instead of a projectile, it has a laser. This way you could chamber the laser bullet in your gun to bore sight your scope. There would be one for each caliber. I got the paperwork and plans drawn up, got the paperwork to the patent attorney, had several millionaire investors lined up ready to open a factory producing these. It passed the preliminary patent search and we celebrated. My wife was searching for similar ideas and found a patent for the exact same thing. The patent atty didn't find it and it was his profession, yet my wife finds one at home on her computer. Whatever. I get almost sick to my stomach when I see them for sale in Cabelas catalog. They are everywhere now, but the patent date was just a little before I thought it up, so it wasn't stolen from me... someone just thought of it first.Been trying for years to come up with another idea as good. I think I might have another now.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
In my younger days I came up with an idea for a gun that electrically fired a rocket like projectile. Instead of a bang it would make a wisssh type noise. I drew up the plans , but lost interest. About 5 years later, I see in a catalog the Gyro Jet pistol that fires a rocket like projectile. On a trip down south I stopped at SOUTH of the Border, a tourest trap on I95. There in the Armory is the Gyro Jet pistol. Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread