The inevitable happened

eckstar

Nov 26, 2008
Well, I was cleaning out another abandoned house in the hood, preparing it for demolition, and it finally happened. There under a pile of junk in the basement-my first gun find. It's a ruger .22, with a sniper scope and sawed off stock. Anyone else out there ever dig up guns, especially of a suspect nature? What did you do? I'll post a pic after I get back from the ball game

Upvote 0

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
Contact the police department... You never know if that gun was used in a robbery or murder. It may prove to be the lead they were waiting on or looking for.

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
BountyHunter fast tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wldbil said:
Contact the police department... You never know if that gun was used in a robbery or murder. It may prove to be the lead they were waiting on or looking for.
:icon_thumleft:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Definitely, contact the police! :thumbsup:

Then keep your head down! :wink:

Dave

windage

Apr 3, 2011
Mason-Dixon Line
Detector(s) used
eyes, ears, wet finger in the wind and old willow sticks, when that don't work; Minelabs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does a "sniper" scope differ from a "regular" scope/ telescopic sight?
Not every scope is a sniper scope, not every shooter is a sniper.

The Ruger is a nice little rifle..put a used stock on it and go shooting.
Finders/keepers.

OP
OP
E

eckstar

Nov 26, 2008
windage said:
How does a "sniper" scope differ from a "regular" scope/ telescopic sight?
Not every scope is a sniper scope, not every shooter is a sniper.

The Ruger is a nice little rifle..put a used stock on it and go shooting.
Finders/keepers.

Totally agree with you that not every scope is a sniper scope, and not every shooter is a sniper, BUT, a 4x16 on a .22 isn't there for plinking or squirrel hunting., and given that it was found in a former drug house, and the rifle was modified, there's really no doubt as to what it was meant for.

Now, since the weapon was heavily rusted, and buried under a pile of junk in the basement, I doubt it was used in any RECENT crimes, but for those of you who've suggested turning it in, I am considering it.

OP
OP
E

eckstar

Nov 26, 2008
Added note: I talked to my attorney, who assures me that the weapon is just like anything else I pull out of the properties I work. In other words, It's mine to dispose of or keep as I wish, in accordance with my agreement with the city, and I'm under no LEGAL obligation to turn it in. But he also says that he personally wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

A cop friend says that if I turn it in, I won't get it back, even if it hasn't been used in a crime, because it has been modified, but if I keep it, the only way I could have a problem is if I'm caught actually using it.

So...right now my choices are:

turn the weapon and scope in to the cops

keep both, and try to determine the cost to restore to a useable/saleable condition

or remove the scope, which is still useable and could net some $ on eBay, and turn in the weapon to the police.

Further suggestions???

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
do you have a deep lake close by? it's really not worth messing with. even if you restore it,
it would cost more than it's worth. you can buy them right now for around 240.00 restored

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
rifles with barrels under 16 inches in length "legal length " (sawed off / modified to be under 16 inches ) --are a felony offense just to have peroid (without special BATF permits)* and under the conditions you say * it a very good chance it was dumped after being used --(dope dealers will seldom dump a weapn they paid for unless they use it ---once used however dope dealers often dump or hide / stash a weapon for later "reuse" --they do this after use to not be caught "red handed" with a "do er" weapon if their home or car or person should be searched by the police --- if you are found with a weapon like the one you discribe * --you WILL be suspect #1 on the cops -- probile "do er" shooters list

dopers normally do not "buy" new guns at a gun store (since it could be traced back to them via the numbers on em) --they buy hot guns stolen from folks homes * often they trade dope to folks who rob homes stealling the guns in them --so good chances its a "hot gun" as well.

bottom line --its a highly illegal felony offense just to have "modifed" weapon , theres a real good chance its "hot" stolen goods and it might get you charged with a murder or at the very least get you charged with "withholding" or tampering with evidence charge if the cops somehow catch you with it -- bubby it sounds to me --like its just not worth the possible problems it could rain down on your world .

plus it might just be the "missing link" the cops need to close a cold case.

OP
OP
E

eckstar

Nov 26, 2008
ivan salis said:
rifles with barrels under 16 inches in length "legal length " (sawed off / modified to be under 16 inches ) --are a felony offense just to have peroid (without special BATF permits)* and under the conditions you say * it a very good chance it was dumped after being used --(dope dealers will seldom dump a weapn they paid for unless they use it ---once used however dope dealers often dump or hide / stash a weapon for later "reuse" --they do this after use to not be caught "red handed" with a "do er" weapon if their home or car or person should be searched by the police --- if you are found with a weapon like the one you discribe * --you WILL be suspect #1 on the cops -- probile "do er" shooters list

dopers normally do not "buy" new guns at a gun store (since it could be traced back to them via the numbers on em) --they buy hot guns stolen from folks homes * often they trade dope to folks who rob homes stealling the guns in them --so good chances its a "hot gun" as well.

bottom line --its a highly illegal felony offense just to have "modifed" weapon , theres a real good chance its "hot" stolen goods and it might get you charged with a murder or at the very least get you charged with "withholding" or tampering with evidence charge if the cops somehow catch you with it -- bubby it sounds to me --like its just not worth the possible problems it could rain down on your world .

plus it might just be the "missing link" the cops need to close a cold case.

Excellent points, Ivan. I do need to clarify, though that the barrel has not been altered, only the stock.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if its a"possible" murder weapon you want to turn it in "intact" --to remove any parts off the gun for sale /personal gain (say you want to keep ithe scope off it /or sell it/ or trade it) could be veiwed by a butt hole type cop / da type as "tampering with" or altering "evidence" --thus not worth the risk -- best to just be rid of it -- my "vote" is drop it off " intact as is" ASAP to the cops -- do not "bare hand" handle it - you DO NOT want your prints on it

MrPoptop

Jan 3, 2011
Cowlitz County, Washington
Detector(s) used
2 AT Pros and a BH Tracker 4
When 1 family member died we found a 22 pistol in their belongings, they legally could not posses a gun.
Turned over to sheriffs office and in 2 weeks we got it back.

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you need to turn it in
just think about it
what if it was used on one of your family members
also a quick check on the net shows there are a few missing person reports from your neck of the woods
last but not lest is the fact that the Nassau County Sheriff's Office has the crime stoppers program
http://www.nassaucountysheriff.com/Crime Stoppers.htm

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep it. Take it to a dealer get the serial number run to make sure its not stolen and have fun. For god sake its a .22. There are counties in CA that are selling weapons from crimes to make money. And whos to say any other fire arm anyone has bought in this forum wasn't used to commit a crime. Any really "Never shoot a stranger's gun" What fun is that? The better advice I would give is don't F another mans wife. If you do make sure you have a gun.

OP
OP
E

eckstar

Nov 26, 2008
ynpto804 said:
Keep it. Take it to a dealer get the serial number run to make sure its not stolen and have fun. For god sake its a .22. There are counties in CA that are selling weapons from crimes to make money. And whos to say any other fire arm anyone has bought in this forum wasn't used to commit a crime. Any really "Never shoot a stranger's gun" What fun is that? The better advice I would give is don't F another mans wife. If you do make sure you have a gun.

LMAO.

TN_MD

Jan 6, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Radio Shack 2v6 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD , And a Homebuilt M.D.
Turn it in , get the $1000 from crime stoppers and go on about ur business.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread