The inevitable happened

eckstar

Nov 26, 2008
Well, I was cleaning out another abandoned house in the hood, preparing it for demolition, and it finally happened. There under a pile of junk in the basement-my first gun find. It's a ruger .22, with a sniper scope and sawed off stock. Anyone else out there ever dig up guns, especially of a suspect nature? What did you do? I'll post a pic after I get back from the ball game

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
there are two federal limits rifle barrel must be at least 16 inches long --and overall length must be at least 26 inches -- if either length is "short" is a illegal type weapon that requires "special permits" to legally own .

this thing from the way it was discribed as being "found" and the location it was reportly found at seems like its a batch of trouble just waiting to screw someones life up ---find it is like stumbling into quick sand --some things are best left "unfound" and if found are best gotten rid of "legally" and correctly .

but hey its your find , and your life , so you get to "deal with it" --so do what you think is the "best and smartest move" with it.

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
Do the right thing cause it's the right thing to do Thats why I made it to 48 . Here's hoping for another 48. Give it to the police and be done with it . Intact BTW. JMHO Rob

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an old .22 pump rifle that I found under a house here, I was told by a police officer friend that since it was in such bad shape, (deep pitted rust, barrel rusted shut) I should just clean it up and hang it on the wall. He told me that they aren't really interested in old guns that can't be tested for ballistics, and that it would just get thrown in with all the other ruined guns they have and scrapped.

Of course what you do with it is up to you, refurbishing it might be a fun project, but you'd probably spend more than it's worth in the end. If you do keep it, just make sure theses no rotten ammo in the mag tube.

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
ask the cops, if they want it ok if not it is yours, you could rebarrel and restock it, they sell tons of parts online. they also make some great conversions for it, check it out.

OP
OP
E

eckstar

Nov 26, 2008
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Since the gun cannot be fired, and thus not tested for ballistics, but also cannot be kept where anyone might see it without a major time and money investment, I've decided to keep the scope and destroy the gun. I appreciate everyone's input!

Be Well, and Happy Hunting

Rick

Alabaster

Jan 9, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Ace 350
I would recommend turning the gun in. There is always the possibility that the gun could be a missing link in an unsolved crime. :dontknow:

Anyone else watch too much Forensic Files, Cold Case Files, etc... ::)

Nevertheless it is a great find & I look forward to update/picture :thumbsup:

dvbish35

Greenie
Jun 29, 2010
vermont
Detector(s) used
whites idx pro, whites Coinmaster 5 hip mount
I guess i dont get the logic behind destroying the gun......other than making a couple bucks on the scope....is it really worth it?? really??? I mean seriously, read the majority of the posts, the RIGHT thing to do is turn it in. I just dont get it!!!

Magnum164

Greenie
May 19, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-track
eckstar said:
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Since the gun cannot be fired, and thus not tested for ballistics, but also cannot be kept where anyone might see it without a major time and money investment, I've decided to keep the scope and destroy the gun. I appreciate everyone's input!

Rick

Just curious, why do you say it can't be fired? You would be surprised and what a competent team of forensic scientist and gunsmith can do. All you need for ballistics testing is a barrel, small hammer and a screwdriver:) (And please do not try that).

OP
OP
E

eckstar

Nov 26, 2008
Magnum164 said:
eckstar said:

Rick

Just curious, why do you say it can't be fired? You would be surprised and what a competent team of forensic scientist and gunsmith can do. All you need for ballistics testing is a barrel, small hammer and a screwdriver:) (And please do not try that).

The chamber is rusted shut, the trigger mechanism is frozen, and the barrell is so rusted, it's actually got perforations. Honestly, guys I do appreciate everyone's concern about the whole crime angle, but realisticly, if YOU found a gun which had been buried underground, or underwater, especially for a period of years, would you run it over to the cops?

I have an additional reason for not involving the local gendarmes, in that the likelihood of them trying to twist my appearance at the station into something they could use against me is very high, as I am currently involved in a civil rights lawsuit against the local pd. If the weapon were fireable, or had been dumped recently, I would certainly find a way to get law enforcement involved, but as I said, even if it HAD been used in a crime, it is so degraded that the little six person PD in my village wouldn't have a clue how to extract ant evidence from it.

This has been a fascinating discussion, though, and I do appreciate the advice.

HH

Magnum164

Greenie
May 19, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-track
eckstar said:
if YOU found a gun which had been buried underground, or underwater, especially for a period of years, would you run it over to the cops?

Without going into details, yes I would be obligated to call in the authorities - would have no choice. However, if it were old enough be considered a relic, then perhaps there would be another path:)

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sawz all and deep hole.

Prob solved.

If its a newer 10/22 it's a piece of junk anyways.

The old ones are the only ones worth salvaging.

You'd just put yourself in the spotlight by turning it in.

Do not make it your problem

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread