The Last Effort at Old Yard

L

Lime Crush

Hi everyone,

What a wonderful place this 60' x 30' plot of ground has been. I will certainly never forget it.

After searching very diligently for strong signals the past couple of weekends, the only work I felt I had left was to spend some quality time listening for the faint echo of possible coins I had missed. This is (as is the case with my Fisher 1266-X) the only way I am able to find Nickels. This site, as those who have read my previous posts know, has produced an SLQ, Mercs and IH's. My mind would not be put at ease until I proved to myself that there was at least 1 nickel in this yard that has produced over 50 coins total.

Nickels, as elusive as they are for me, in a way, are my favorite...they bring out the absolute best in me as far sheer determination.

After countless pieces of melted metal and nails I was able to put my mind at ease with an 1898 V Nickel. I'm not sure what the neighbors must have thought.....witnessing some guy sitting on the ground mocking outloud whatever invisible entity was responsible for toying with his emotions for so long and finally giving in to my quest for Nickeldom. :P

No more than 10 minutes later and not far from the location the 1898 was found I was able to retrieve the 1909 V Nickel. Initially a nail was retrieved....checked the hole and got a better signal than before and witin lay the nickel. Neither coin is in very good shape, but I'm not surprised. We all know the fate of Nickels in the ground for the most part.

Upon leaving I was delighted to find another IH (1890). A welcomed parting gift.

I feel confident I've searched the site well. I will leave it now until I forget just how hard I've worked it.

If my next site is half the fun this has been, I will consider myself very lucky.

Great Finds To All!! I look forward to seeing your treasures!!

HH'ing as always,

Jeff

Attachments

• 1898 V Nickel Front.jpg
    1898 V Nickel Front.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 279
  • 1898 V Nickel Back.jpg
    1898 V Nickel Back.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 281
  • 1909 V Nickel Front.jpg
    1909 V Nickel Front.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 280
  • 1909 V Nickel Back.jpg
    1909 V Nickel Back.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 275
  • 1890 IH Front.jpg
    1890 IH Front.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 276
  • 1890 IH Back.jpg
    1890 IH Back.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 273
Upvote 0

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Digs..........Took me quite a long while to develope the patience to search for them......When I first turned down the discrimination to start my first search..........I should have bought stock in the BAYER company.....cause ALL THAT extra noise gives a guy a REAL HEADACHE........Congrats to you........One trick I have found is to take along a bottle of water and a bottle of Ibuprofen..............." Hear that Beep ? Well take a pill and DIG DEEP" he he he (McNickle)

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That has turned out to be an awesome site. Congrats on all the finds!!!

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Great finds!!! Congrats
Got to love them sites that produce the oldies, hope ya find many more...
Good luck & Happy hunting~

F

Floater

Great Story Lime Crush. Its nice to finish one out like that.That was a great site. I wouldnt be surprised if you get a good rain and you hit it again you would find something,but it is time to find the next great area. Later.HH

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Great finds! I've one "V" nickel to my name, and still looking for my first I H P. Sounds like it was a fun spot to hit.

I'd seriously not give up the ghost on this place. Give it a freeze / thaw cycle and hit it again next spring... you might be surprised what the earth moves up for ya!

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri
Reminds me of the site I have been working. I still think there is more there, but man I've worked it hard. Congrats on your finds and your persistence.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread