The Lost Bottle

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went down to the old ghost town site again today to see if i could find an old homesite that i located approx 15 yrs ago. i was metal detecting an area that had been clear cut and had found a very old- looking pontiled bass of a bottle that was either black or dark green. i remember a depression in the ground close by and thought to myself that it was probably an old well. the site was being cleaned up so that a new pipeline could later come through. i was north of the old village site probably 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile. alot had changed in the 15 yrs since i have been back to this particular homesite. now that i have a new interest in bottles, i thought i would revisit the site and probe that depression in the ground with my 5 ft probe. i w

image-2603559299.jpg

image-91874521.jpg

alked down the pipeline looking for where the old wagon rd crossed the lane. i could not find it!! as i said, alot has changed in 15 yrs( including my memory) . i thought i would veer off the pipeline and walk through the woods in a zigzag direction until i would come across the old wagon rd. (the old homesite was north of the pipeline and probably only 50 yards from the old wagon road. needless to say, i eventually found the old rd and crossed it working my way back south toward the pipeline. little did i know that i was headed north. i heard a car from the small 2 lane highway and stopped dead in my tracks . The sound was to my left and near. it should have been to my right and very distant. i took my cellphone from my pocket and realized i was headed in the wrong direction. my old ass had gotten turned around in the thick woods while i was zig-zagging! I looked around to survey the steep banks of the old rd and found this bottle barely exposed at the bottom.so, i will name it the "lost bottle." Its not as old as what i hoped to find. It is 3- sided and rather tall. It is a 2 pc bottle and the seam runs the length of the bottle and through the lip. It is slightly lopsided at the top for some reason but that gives it a little bit of character. There are no markings or numbers . Maybe someone here can identify it.

OP
OP
Bass

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe they are lost

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
...I am heading to the beach for the week, hope to find SOMETHING to share but who knows. Can't post down there, no internet, no phone, no TV.., it is a little bit of heaven....

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Evening, gentlemen,

It looks, in form, and finish to be a sauce bottle to me, but that is just my opinion.

b10.jpg

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
How tall is it, I know there are a couple of whiskey bottles that are three sided like this...

OP
OP
Bass

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll get a measurement when i get home. I'm guessing 12-14 inches in height

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
At that size, Jim probably has called it correctly. Please get all Mr. Wizard, and tell us the capacity, too, please...

Grants-1960.jpg

OP
OP
Bass

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are no markings whatsoever on this bottle which leads me to assume there was once a paper label. This bottle stands 9 3/4 inches and holds slightly less than 1 pint (or 1/2 liter)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread