The Many Lost Treasures of Mariposa, CA (Photos Added)

vini

Jan 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great storys I spent a few summers dredging bagby, never got to bedrock but picked up some beautiful rough 1/2 gram pickers trying to get down there at about 5 feet, ended up getting rock bound without enough time to spend removing them, work came first, I wish now I had taken the time off and spent a month working one particular hole on a rock bar beyond the dredging area in bagby ( up stream Solomon gulch ), this was above an area a group of guys worked the river for 2 years below a gulch ( unsure of name) and pulled many ounces, probably pounds of rough gold nuggets .

Last edited:

vini

Jan 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres no sound so I'll let eagle give some commentary on what your seeing if he likes. This is really terrible video I did, sorry next time i get up there i'll be more careful getting some better footage. That one head stone with the racoon choked me the hell up, i couldn't even read the whole thing its been worn down but what I could read was very touching.

Again sorry for the poor video

rail road flat - YouTube

Last edited:

vini

Jan 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a month for me to read this thread what great storys, wish i was dredging earlier in my life up there on the Mered river, if you haven't been there your missing out.

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a month for me to read this thread what great storys, wish i was dredging earlier in my life up there on the Mered river, if you haven't been there your missing out.

Halito Vini,
Sorry about taking so long to answer, but, yesterday I had to drive to Oakhurst for an appointment at the VA. In a few minutes I'll be leaving for Fresno for a Dr.s Appt. (He wants to make sure his work is holding together). (lol)

Welcome to my thread!! I hope you get as much enjoyment from reading my memories as I get from writing them down for you! Also, thanks for your interesting posts.

For my other readers; The google earth that vini posted didn't work for me by using the usual coordinates. But, I tried the "decimal coordinates and they worked quite well. (Red Banks Placer Mine). Incidentally, you hit on one of my favorite places. Now, if I can just find a road in that the BLM hasn't blocked off......

That is indeed a rich, gold bearing area.

Thanks again!!

Eagle

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Eagle, hope all goes well with Dr. Especially his handiwork. I'm sure it's doing good since you're here. Lol.
I'm finding it hard to get up and down a lot since I broke my ankle. Dr. said week and a half and I could take boot off. So after a week I took it off. Put on my brace and put on my shoes and off I went to detect. I was off on the Arizona trail detecting with my mom. I didn't take too long to figure out that the ankle was still tender. (As far as tendons/ligaments are concerned) So I guess when nugget hunting I'll cover less ground and dig less. At least till ankle is up to par. Then there's left hip, leg and side issues. I swear I'm like a drunk when detecting. Lol. Stagger left. Stagger right. That's without drinking. I guess life's plans aren't always what you think or plan them to be. Just got to make the best of it.
Definitely try to give us a heads up on the Eagle Panning University. That'd be a blast.

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eagle, hope all goes well with Dr. Especially his handiwork. I'm sure it's doing good since you're here. Lol.
I'm finding it hard to get up and down a lot since I broke my ankle. Dr. said week and a half and I could take boot off. So after a week I took it off. Put on my brace and put on my shoes and off I went to detect. I was off on the Arizona trail detecting with my mom. I didn't take too long to figure out that the ankle was still tender. (As far as tendons/ligaments are concerned) So I guess when nugget hunting I'll cover less ground and dig less. At least till ankle is up to par. Then there's left hip, leg and side issues. I swear I'm like a drunk when detecting. Lol. Stagger left. Stagger right. That's without drinking. I guess life's plans aren't always what you think or plan them to be. Just got to make the best of it.
Definitely try to give us a heads up on the Eagle Panning University. That'd be a blast.

Definitely take care of that ankle Brother. I don't want to have to carry you up and down the hill to the river bank. (lol)

I kept my appointment with the Dr. this morning. He said; "I'm really amazed at how well you've recovered, I wish all of my patients healed this quickly". I told him: "I have to heal quickly, I can't stand just sitting around". (lol)

I went out with Mariposagoldbag this past Tuesday, we spent about 4 hours (I think) in a stream bed. I found some lead. (lol) But, he found a pretty, little .37gram nugget. I was really surprised when he uncovered it, as it was about a 1/4 inch long and was tightly wedged in a crack, with an inch or so of dirt over it. The surprise was; it was straight up and down with just a 16th of an inch showing at its' end. Great detecting. I'll try to download and post a picture of it in a few minutes.

Eagle

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely take care of that ankle Brother. I don't want to have to carry you up and down the hill to the river bank. (lol)

I kept my appointment with the Dr. this morning. He said; "I'm really amazed at how well you've recovered, I wish all of my patients healed this quickly". I told him: "I have to heal quickly, I can't stand just sitting around". (lol)

I went out with Mariposagoldbag this past Tuesday, we spent about 4 hours (I think) in a stream bed. I found some lead. (lol) But, he found a pretty, little .37gram nugget. I was really surprised when he uncovered it, as it was about a 1/4 inch long and was tightly wedged in a crack, with an inch or so of dirt over it. The surprise was; it was straight up and down with just a 16th of an inch showing at its' end. Great detecting. I'll try to download and post a picture of it in a few minutes.

Eagle

Aannnd, maybe not. Sorry, I guess I'll have to download it tomorrow. I found the wrong cord. Now, I have to check some of the other boxes that are still packed, to find the correct one.

Eagle

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Still searching for the right one
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Eagle!

Sounds like your doing good friend, that makes me happy. You'll be tossing boulders before you know it. Lol. I hope you nail one of those nuggets with that mxt. I still haven't drilled one yet. I swear goldbag could find a nugget in downtown Merced. That guy has skill. Peace to you brother. I still am on the look out for the material to build the super sluice you mentioned.

mariposagoldbag

Sep 7, 2011
Prescott, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Other
lol...skill, luck, determination...call it what you want! I still feel like its luck, but I am determined! I been looking for you out there driving around, haven't seen you lately. When we going out detecting?

mariposagoldbag

Sep 7, 2011
Prescott, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Eagle, here's a few pictures of some of my finds...
IMG_0335.JPG IMG_0090.JPG IMG_0076.JPG

vini

Jan 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice gold !

Hey eagle the red bank mine was for sale recently $700,000 for 3 parcel area including mine, I left a message with owner but never got a call back.

Heres some pics of Bagby digging some guys spent a few years digging up from the river into a gorge.

lastdaysc.JPG

There gold from that spot i only have a few pics but its incredible

GLec.JPG

If you can get deep enough down on the bedrock thats whats there , but its deep and boulder ladden area

one more just to show what they were moving to get to bedrock

babyboulders3.JPG

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eagle!

Sounds like your doing good friend, that makes me happy. You'll be tossing boulders before you know it. Lol. I hope you nail one of those nuggets with that mxt. I still haven't drilled one yet. I swear goldbag could find a nugget in downtown Merced. That guy has skill. Peace to you brother. I still am on the look out for the material to build the super sluice you mentioned.

Yep, doing better every day!!

I have a Whites TDi on the way, so, you can expect to find me in the hills a lot, starting next week.

And don't let mgb fool ya, the Brother is GOOD!!

Eagle

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice gold !

Hey eagle the red bank mine was for sale recently $700,000 for 3 parcel area including mine, I left a message with owner but never got a call back.

Heres some pics of Bagby digging some guys spent a few years digging up from the river into a gorge.

View attachment 756705

There gold from that spot i only have a few pics but its incredible

View attachment 756706

If you can get deep enough down on the bedrock thats whats there , but its deep and boulder ladden area

one more just to show what they were moving to get to bedrock

View attachment 756707

Now that's what I'm talking about!! (lol)

Thanks for sharing Brother!!

Eagle

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eagle

Did you give up on the GMT?

That's MXT, (lol) And absolutly not. That's what the last little nugget mgb posted was found with.

It's just that the TDi is much better suited for heavy mineralization. Besides, I'm allowed to make payments on it. (lol)

Eagle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread