The Many Lost Treasures of Mariposa, CA (Photos Added)

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I get enough gold the weekend prior Eagle I could make it. Just got to tell my son. Run the pool business, I'm going to see an Eagle about some kinda yellow rock.
Think he'll go for it? He caught gold fever for his 18th bday. Lol
I hope you find a lot of gold "the weekend prior", but then, if you do, it might make more sense to return to the same place and find more gold, in lue of attending class. You know; "A bird in the hand........" (lol)

And, if I were your son, I'd reply: "No way Dad, I'm going with you. Mom can take care of the business". (lol)

Eagle

Last edited:

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Hopefully a good weekend will translate into a nice opal for the boss. Do you ever mount them in silver??? Keeping my fingers crossed...

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully a good weekend will translate into a nice opal for the boss. Do you ever mount them in silver??? Keeping my fingers crossed...
I do sterling silver jewelry. With opals, usually rings and pendants. I have made earings, but it's really difficult to find two opals that match. That is, unless you have ones large enough to make the same cut twice, which I do.

Now, make sure you get some gold! (lol)

Wishing you luck!!

Eagle

geezerdb

Jan 18, 2013
NE Oregon
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab X-Terra 705, Mine Lab GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
EagleD, I just found your thread a couple of nights ago, and have really enjoyed reading your stories!! I wish I could meet you in person, I think you are a kindred spirit! Keep those stories coming- sometimes I think hearing your stories about you or others finding gold is worth more at times then finding the gold myself.
Still, I hope to use my MineLab detector in finding a large nugget- say maby several pounds worth at least!:laughing7:

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Eagle. I was talking to a guy the other day and he's in Cali. He says he finds opals and I told him to contact you about making jewelry or even buying them (I'm not sure if you do buy them), but I figure it might do both good. If I PM you his link would that be OK? Or even give him your link as well. I'm sure that'd be fine. Just wanted to make sure I'm pointing him in the right direction. Does location of where they found the opals make a difference? Clarity, color, and all that stuff.

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EagleD, I just found your thread a couple of nights ago, and have really enjoyed reading your stories!! I wish I could meet you in person, I think you are a kindred spirit! Keep those stories coming- sometimes I think hearing your stories about you or others finding gold is worth more at times then finding the gold myself.
Still, I hope to use my MineLab detector in finding a large nugget- say maby several pounds worth at least!:laughing7:
Halito geezerdb,
Welcome to our thread!! And thank you for your words of encouragement! It's always great to turn on the pc in the morning and find a post like yours waiting for me to read.

Several pounds?? Hey, sounds good to me. (lol) Who knows? Someday you might find yourself in this area, if so, shoot me a note and I'll make it a point to meet up with you,

All the best,

Eagle

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Eagle. I was talking to a guy the other day and he's in Cali. He says he finds opals and I told him to contact you about making jewelry or even buying them (I'm not sure if you do buy them), but I figure it might do both good. If I PM you his link would that be OK? Or even give him your link as well. I'm sure that'd be fine. Just wanted to make sure I'm pointing him in the right direction. Does location of where they found the opals make a difference? Clarity, color, and all that stuff.
Halito my Friend,

It would be hokay for you to give him my link., understanding that I don't buy stones. I'm always happy to check them out for some one though. Not all opals are created equal though. I have no experience with Calif. opals, so I can't say anything about the quality. A lot depends on the conditions of where they're found. If the soil is damp, it can be an involved process to dry them out to use for jewelry. Opals and some other stones assorb water and when drying out, they start to 'craze' and/or crack, and end up pretty much useless for gems.

I have some stones here that I'm getting ready to cut and polish for a Tnet friend. He sent me about 20 or so stones. Out of all of those, I only have 7 that I didn't have to return to the water to keep them from being ruined, and one of those, I'm not really sure about. Hopefully, if I get back from town soon enough, I'll start cutting and shaping them today. Well, we'll see.

Thanks for asking!!

Eagle

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll send him your link. As soon as I can find it. Thought I had in my messages. He possibly might have contacted you already. Anyways I'll check and give him your link. Always glad to help a friend.

RelicLady

Greenie
Jan 1, 2013
Merced/Hornitos, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OHHH NOOO Eagle - :( I just read that you are going to be onthe Merced River April 13th. UGH! I'm in a wedding that day and wont' be able to meet you. I'm so bummed!!! Let me know the next time you are going because I would really love to meet you and gain some of your knowledge. If you ever come to Merced, let me know.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whew, finally got to the end. Well, maybe it is bittersweet. The stories, the history, the knowledge of the area. Well, YOUR stories, history and knowledge. My favorite three stories. The apache family. The RR out of Barstow. And, last but not least, the horse riding right out of LA. If a guy could chase them down... In that order. I was saddened to learn about your hospital stay. I had the forsight to know that you were going to be okay, but I was still saddened.
I am pretty sure that someone who lives in the area you talk about could use your photos and stories to keep themselves busy the rest of their lives. And, if they were halfways intelligent, they would carry you if need be, to guide them.
I just want to thank you for sharing all this with us. I honestly thought there is no way you could compete with Lanny's thread. But, to be honest, (No disrespect, Lanny) you blew him away pretty good. I know you two are talking about two completely different areas of the world, and two completely different types of prospecting, but your indepth knowledge of a very specific area is in a class of its own. I want to go on record right here to say that when you get a book published, I will cherish it the same as I do all my Jack O'Connor books. (And, the same goes for you Lanny.) That is the ultimate compliment I can give. Jack O'Connor is my boyhood hero. Keith

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Incidentally, Jack O'Connor died on the cruise ship SS Mariposa. Small world, huh?

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OHHH NOOO Eagle - :( I just read that you are going to be onthe Merced River April 13th. UGH! I'm in a wedding that day and wont' be able to meet you. I'm so bummed!!! Let me know the next time you are going because I would really love to meet you and gain some of your knowledge. If you ever come to Merced, let me know.
Well, I will probably be below McCabe Flats on Sat. the 6th. I just didn't mention that date as I figured it was too short of a notice for most. Sorry about your prior commitment on the 13th.

Eagle

OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whew, finally got to the end. Well, maybe it is bittersweet. The stories, the history, the knowledge of the area. Well, YOUR stories, history and knowledge. My favorite three stories. The apache family. The RR out of Barstow. And, last but not least, the horse riding right out of LA. If a guy could chase them down... In that order. I was saddened to learn about your hospital stay. I had the forsight to know that you were going to be okay, but I was still saddened.
I am pretty sure that someone who lives in the area you talk about could use your photos and stories to keep themselves busy the rest of their lives. And, if they were halfways intelligent, they would carry you if need be, to guide them.
I just want to thank you for sharing all this with us. I honestly thought there is no way you could compete with Lanny's thread. But, to be honest, (No disrespect, Lanny) you blew him away pretty good. I know you two are talking about two completely different areas of the world, and two completely different types of prospecting, but your indepth knowledge of a very specific area is in a class of its own. I want to go on record right here to say that when you get a book published, I will cherish it the same as I do all my Jack O'Connor books. (And, the same goes for you Lanny.) That is the ultimate compliment I can give. Jack O'Connor is my boyhood hero. Keith[/QUOTE

Talk about "bittersweet"!! I recieve the Ultimate Compliment, but I'm compared to my very esteemed friend; Lanny. I'm not sure if I should be pleased, or sad.

No, actually, I have never considered a writing contest between Brother Lanny and myself. I've enjoyed reading every post he's put on his thread. Frankly, I don't consider myself as being even close to his writings. But, thanks for the "Ultimate Compliment". I do appreciate it.

Eagle

Last edited:
OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incidentally, Jack O'Connor died on the cruise ship SS Mariposa. Small world, huh?

Hmmmmm. And my teacher told me there's no such thing as coincidence. Gotta think about that. (lol)

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
This is what we snuffered out our last cleanup from last weekend. We have five gallons of this stuff to go through this weekend.

Attachments

• Bonnell tailings.BMP
    900.1 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
OP
OP
EagleDown

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what we snuffered out our last cleanup from last weekend. We have five gallons of this stuff to go through this weekend.
Looks pretty good. Thanks for posting it. I was trying to remember what gold looks like. (lol)

vini

Jan 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of Eagle University, I'm letting my friends know that I'll be on the Merced river below Briceburg on Saturday, April the 13th. (Weather permitting). I sincerely hope to see some of you there.

Love and Respect,

Eagle

I'm going to try and be up there eagle I think I can do it this weekend, i'll turn work down if I have to :thumbsup:

oakview can you make it also? And i yet to meet up with Shep so hope a few of you locals can make it up

Last edited:

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
As long as the kids don't have something going, might break out the GMT for some beeping

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread