***THE MEANING OF LIFE OR SHOULD I SAY EVENTS !***

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
There are old writtings from the past that appear to be parable in nature [please, no religion]. I will give an example of one. Give your explanation of the meaning and if you wish, add your own.
the wording might have slipped a bit because I am pulling it from memory.
{Water water everywhere and all the boards did shrink, water water everywhere nor any drop to drink.} This is from the rhyme of the ancient mariner.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: ***THE MEANING OF LIVE OR SHOULD I SAY EVENTS !***

Gotta love "Up the creek without a paddle"

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used

Hay Spart, I think you hit the nail on the head, especially since the ship of death was heading for him!!

Here's another {Not what we give, but what we share, for the gift without the giver is bare!} As I remember, this is from the vision of Sir Launfal

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frankn said:
Hay Spart, I think you hit the nail on the head, especially since the ship of death was heading for him!!

Here's another {Not what we give, but what we share, for the gift without the giver is bare!} As I remember, this is from the vision of Sir Launfal

Got me, if I have to think, my brain will explode. If I'm not mistaken that is just about sharing in general.

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250

Hello, Frankn, There have been times for years that I have mentioned that phrase, like after a heavy downpour and you
see big puddles everywhere, I'd say "Water, water everywhere, and not a drop to drink." That was all I remembered of
it since reading it when I was a kid in school. I have long forgotten what book it came from. Thank you for letting me
know where it came from.
Here is one that I can remember from one of the Old Classics that we read and discussed in class when I was in Jr high.

"Et tu? Brute'?" I think I have it spelled right, but it could be wrong since it seems like about a hundred years since my
school days. LOL.

It's from the play, "Julius Cesare" (can't remember how the last name is spelled) by Shakespeare.

When he is about to be assassinated, he is shocked to find out that his best friend, Brutus is in on the plot to kill
him. He asks, "You, too, Brutus?" But he spoke in Latin. (That must be the only Latin words I know. LOL)

Ray

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used

Karenray 08 : well I am reaching back a lot further than you from old HS memories but this is how I remember it. " E TU BRUTA " which is probably wrong. Brutas was the last one to " give him the quill ". He was stabbed with their pens which were actually feather quills. They penetrated like the old straw thru the potato trick. Someone who is still up on that old dead language will probably correct me.

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Yup, Frankn, my HS days were back in the 50's so it is been awhile. LOL. I think his name ended with an e with an accent
markafter the e, and pronounced like a. But it was so long ago and my memory isn't so great anymore. LOL. We are both
partly right and partly wrong. But thanks for starting the thread with an interesting idea. :thumbsup:
Ray

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Here's a line I just couldn't pass up!
A sharp tongue is the only sharp tool that grows keener with constant use.
By: Washington Irving

Some people can stay longer in an hour than others can in a week.
By: William Dean Howell

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Here is one I really never put any deep thought into.

Friendship is almost always the union of a part of one mind with a part of another; people are friends in spots. By: George Santayana

To me faith means not worrying. " "

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Here's a line I just couldn't pass up!
A sharp tongue is the only sharp tool that grows keener with constant use.
By: Washington Irving

No truer words were ever spoken :headbang: I've trimmed my tongue back a bit, filed it down and I still cut my fingers from time to time while licking an envelope :laughing7:

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Any well-established village in New England or the northern Middle West could afford a town drunkard, a town atheist, and a few Democrats.
By: Denis Brogan

Man does not live by bread alone, even pre-sliced bread. By: Denis Brogan

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Here is one I really never put any deep thought into.

Friendship is almost always the union of a part of one mind with a part of another; people are friends in spots. By: George Santayana

To me faith means not worrying. " "

Simple saying, but true... A true friend is there in all spots, all the other people are acquaintances :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Yea, but temporary acquaintances can sometimes give you a moment of joy !

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got put under ,last week when I got some teeth pulled and while I was under I had a long talk with God,except it was Morgan Freeman and him and I were naked and sitting on a mountain top covered in snow and he was explaining the meaning of life to me,and it seamed soooo real,I was pissed when I woke up. :icon_scratch: :help: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Did anybody notice the damp spot?
On the other side you forgot to give us the meaning!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread