the MIZAR or other elec gold testers who has used it

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 14 months ago I decided to invest in a good electronic gold tester. I did my research and could not find one that also tested for silver. The gold tester that I liked the best (and also the one I bought) is the GT3000 from Tri-electronics. It is very accurate and gives a digital readout. I then go to a chart and see what I have. The price was around $200

I could find no info on it's ability to test silver so I called the company that makes it and the owner/designer answered the phone. He told me that it is not designed for silver but he gave me a work-around on how to test.

He said take known items of 925/sterling and test them, see what numbers the machine comes up with. Now anything else that tests in that range will also be silver. (in my case about 265 - 310 is silver) I know you didn't ask about silver but I test 3 times as much silver as gold, and I do a lot of gold.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goldinmypan said:
do they tell the difference tween plate and solid?
My GT does but you have to file a tiny notch in everything to get down through the plate if it is plated. 14K would read about 800 or so on the readout. Junk goes way down to the low 100s or even minus numbers.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Interesting, thanks for the info.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EE THr said:
Does it require the use of any acids?
The handle that touches the jewelry has a gel liquid inside. I have been told it is not an acid. I have touched it many times and no burning reaction, but everytime I test a VERY fine gold chain the chain breaks where it is tested. I always warn the owner before I test that this will happen. It might not be an acid but probably when the voltage goes thru the chain the metal is disolved. Probably like what happens when gold plating.

This is the unit I have. I took the pic from the manufacturers website and just noticed something. :o Does anybody else see what I see? :o
gold_25.jpg

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Well, don't keep us in suspense.

atx_kt

Dec 24, 2009
There should be a red and black wire connecting the testing device to the testing pen, and the testing plate with the alligator clip.

The wires don't appear in this marketing photo. :)

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
atx_kt said:
There should be a red and black wire connecting the testing device to the testing pen, and the testing plate with the alligator clip. The wires don't appear in this marketing photo. :)
Thats it! :icon_thumright:

That reminds me somewhat of a commercial from several years ago. I think they were selling computers. Someone was typing away and the computer or monitor was obviousally not hooked up. :o

Corpsegrinder

Oct 21, 2008
Magnolia AR
Detector(s) used
(2)Minelab E-Tracs, 12x10 SEF's, Sunray X-1 Probes, & an arsonal of coils. Excal 2, Tesoro Golden Sabre+
Still think acids is the best way. Shows if its plated. Has acid for silver, and MUCH cheaper.. I had one of those Mizar's and gave it away after a week of using it in my gold shop..

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Corpsegrinder said:
Still think acids is the best way. Shows if its plated. Has acid for silver, and MUCH cheaper.. I had one of those Mizar's and gave it away after a week of using it in my gold shop..
I don't blame you for giving away a mizar, I looked into them also. Just looked too junky.

Yes, acid is much cheaper, tried it, took too long to react and still was not sure of the answer. I take my GT with to yard sales and check all gold that I bid on. (now if I find a piece of gold in the junk bowl I only pay 50¢ to $1) Acid would just take to long and be messy to check every piece. I must check because there are too many counterfits out there.

I can tell if any thing is plated. It is called a jeweler's rat tail file. I always use it before any test.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread