The Mother Lode!!! People who hate pocket change

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
As I was driving down the road the other day, I saw where they were tearing down 2 houses that I know have been there for at least 40 years. I contacted the owner and got permission to hunt the property. I went there the next evening to start the search and play around with my new Eagle Spectrum. The first place I started to look was the driveway to the house that was still standing. The drive consisted of pea gravel on caliche. I fired up the detector, lowered the coil to the ground to ground balance and found it wouldn't take. After a short search, I finally found an area where I could get it to balance. I started to swing the detector and it went crazy. It was banging everywhere, in fact, I thought something was wrong with the detector. This driveway is only about 10' X 35'. It sounded like it was solid metal. I started to dig and found that all of the signals were coins. I WAS IN DETECTORIST HEAVEN! I hunted for about an hour and a half and came up with about 170 coins, and didn't even come near covering 1/2 the drive. I went back today and worked about 1/2 a day, and still have not finished with the drive, much less start the yard. My total coins for today was 265, for a total of over 400 coins. All clad except 1 wheat cent. These people must have hated pocket change! Anyway, I'll be going back for awhile, hopefully starting the yard tomorrow. I am totally amazed, any signal you get here, you dig. The most amazing part was I only dug 8 pull tabs and a couple of the old soda pop caps so far. This is the place you dream of. Here is a picture of my finds so far. I will post more as the finds increase.

Attachments

• 1 driveway Davis House.JPG
    1 driveway Davis House.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 1,469
  • 1 driveway Davis House.JPG
    1 driveway Davis House.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 1,460
Upvote 0

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Clad heaven...

I have no problem picking up pocket change, love my deep silver but your in a great place and not having to dig thru a ton of junk for your clad. I hope you pull 1000+ from there!! Good Luck!!

Rumblebelly

Jan 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
(RS)Discovery 2000, white's bullseye, NEW DFX!!!
great pile-o-coins! Its alot of fun doing that type of finding! Great job getting permission to hunt there. Clean it out!

Rumblebelly

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang! A bunch'a money! :o Looks like you found a great spot to hunt!!!

Congrats! Nana ;)

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Wow, now that's really cool. Great place to hunt, WTG!! Congrats!
I hope they hated gold and silver too! Good luck!

SMiles!
BDoo

nealb

Jan 2, 2007
Omaha, NE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 and Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that's one heck of a load there. Lot's of luck with the rest of the location

V

vw

piggman1 said:
As I was driving down the road the other day, I saw where they were tearing down 2 houses that I know have been there for at least 40 years. I contacted the owner and got permission to hunt the property. I went there the next evening to start the search and play around with my new Eagle Spectrum. The first place I started to look was the driveway to the house that was still standing. The drive consisted of pea gravel on caliche. I fired up the detector, lowered the coil to the ground to ground balance and found it wouldn't take. After a short search, I finally found an area where I could get it to balance. I started to swing the detector and it went crazy. It was banging everywhere, in fact, I thought something was wrong with the detector. This driveway is only about 10' X 35'. It sounded like it was solid metal. I started to dig and found that all of the signals were coins. I WAS IN DETECTORIST HEAVEN! I hunted for about an hour and a half and came up with about 170 coins, and didn't even come near covering 1/2 the drive. I went back today and worked about 1/2 a day, and still have not finished with the drive, much less start the yard. My total coins for today was 265, for a total of over 400 coins. All clad except 1 wheat cent. These people must have hated pocket change! Anyway, I'll be going back for awhile, hopefully starting the yard tomorrow. I am totally amazed, any signal you get here, you dig. The most amazing part was I only dug 8 pull tabs and a couple of the old soda pop caps so far. This is the place you dream of. Here is a picture of my finds so far. I will post more as the finds increase.
Wow I see plenty of battery money. Good going.

OP
OP
piggman1

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Re: The Mother Lode!!! Another couple of hours today

Went back again today for a couple of hours. Didn't stay long, started to get too sore and tired. This is the haul, another 68 coins and a long way to go. Geology pick worked great on the caliche.

Attachments

• 68 more.JPG
    68 more.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,084
T

TreasureTales

Piggman1, welcome to TreasureNet. It's great to have you join us!!!

You certainly do have a coinshooter's paradise there, and I echo the congratulations for getting permission before working the property. WTG. You gotta figure that if there is a wheat cent, there could very well be silver. Do you know the age of the houses that are being torn down? That would help you determine if silver is possible.

Also, see if you can check the house out itself for caches. You never know!! ;) Good luck and keep those photos coming.

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o Quite the haul Piggman! Looks like you latched onto a mighty fine spot. Good luck with the rest of the hunt.

Keep digging!

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Great spot! It may take you a couple weeks to clean it out...good luck in the yard.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Someone was running a stat for a while about clad and frequencies etc. You would really add to the sampling. I wonder what the heck went on there that there is so much clad all over the place? Maybe they threw a lot of parties. What kind of face value are you looking at already? It would be something if he got a frequency of appearance for each coin and could guess at your face value. Something like, q's appear on average 25% of the time with a 99% confidence interval. So if you get on here and say "I found 1000 coins", all we have to do is guess at 250 quarters and be dead on. Image if they were all quarters! That's $250 bucks with minimal work. Easy pickings there I'd say.

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great diggings you have there, hope you find much more..

God bless
Peter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread