1.4 MB · Views: 107

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a great picture. What lens are you using?

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing like a little tease! lol! Funny thing that we don't have any cottontails in the immediate neighborhood. Guess maybe there too many roving cats around.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
MMMMmmmmmm...Cottontail....
eating-02.gif~original

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The shot was with my trusty Kodak Z650 Bosn-M. I take it everywhere with me, even in an underground mine. I got this one at the local pawn shop for $29.95+tax... It's just a cheap bridge camera that came out in 2006. I lacks in ability, but it does a fair job. It's my 2nd one, as the old one just got ugly looking, but never quit working. Runs great with 2 rechargeable AA bat's and simple to get a decent shot and it's always ready. The bunny was about 15 feet away from the kitchen window, as I did shoot it behind that window. I'm with ya Diz. I keep thinking I should dine on some of these little critters some time.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tastes like chicken.:laughing7:

GOD Bless

Chris
As long as you take them in any month with an 'R' in it. Their not as good to eat in May, June, July or August. I only like hunting cottontails in below freezing weather, so the cold weather kills the fleas on them. I failed to wait once for the fleas to die after I shot some bunny's in Iowa and put them in my game pocket. later on I felt something crawling all over me under my coat. I pulled the coat up and saw the fleas all went after me after the bunny's got cold. The cottontails around here have fleas on them and my dogs and cat will get them ever now and then. The flea issue around here isn't as bad as other places in the country. Seems fleas don't care so much for the high altitude or something? :dontknow:

Last edited:

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Around here, there are almost no fleas. I've been living here since '07 and haven't seen one yet.
Instead of rabbits, it's the squirrels that tease the dogs. And cats! My grandson's cat will sit in the window and watch the squirrels playing in the yard. His tail is 'swishing' back and forth. He would love to get out there. The squirrels occasionally will sit just outside the window and turn their back to the cat, then swish their tails up and down. That's when the cat seems to come unglued!
My little chi/terrier will be laying on the bed, looking out the back door. She'll see a squirrel and want outside. Just bouncing up and down at the door. I'll let her out at times. Not much chance of her catching one of the squirrels, but I know if she does, it'll probably be the end of her! I watched, about a week ago, a squirrel on a tree trunk, facing downward, watching the dog. The dog knew she couldn't quit reach the squirrel, so she just stood and watched with her ears sticking straight up. The squirrel was looking at her like, 'you want a piece of me?'. He was swishing that tail and chattering at her. When he started chattering, she put her feet onto the tree trunk and growled. I think the squirrel got thrill out of her growling at it.!

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around here, there are almost no fleas. I've been living here since '07 and haven't seen one yet.
Instead of rabbits, it's the squirrels that tease the dogs. And cats! My grandson's cat will sit in the window and watch the squirrels playing in the yard. His tail is 'swishing' back and forth. He would love to get out there. The squirrels occasionally will sit just outside the window and turn their back to the cat, then swish their tails up and down. That's when the cat seems to come unglued!
My little chi/terrier will be laying on the bed, looking out the back door. She'll see a squirrel and want outside. Just bouncing up and down at the door. I'll let her out at times. Not much chance of her catching one of the squirrels, but I know if she does, it'll probably be the end of her! I watched, about a week ago, a squirrel on a tree trunk, facing downward, watching the dog. The dog knew she couldn't quit reach the squirrel, so she just stood and watched with her ears sticking straight up. The squirrel was looking at her like, 'you want a piece of me?'. He was swishing that tail and chattering at her. When he started chattering, she put her feet onto the tree trunk and growled. I think the squirrel got thrill out of her growling at it.!
I've lived here for more the 26 years and hadn't noticed any fleas til maybe the last 5 years. They've built so much here within the last 10 years and many rabbits have all moved in to the housing developments as the open spaces have dwindled, plus I think they figure it's better protection from the Fox & Coyote in the housing areas. I asked the vet I go to if he's seen an increase in fleas and he has. It's rare to get a pet with fleas, but my pets have all had them within the last 5 years now. I've seen many more squirrels also with all trees we have now planted by the home owners and developments that are getting to be 15 years old now. It's a whole new world from the time I first moved here.

outdoorfunblonde

Nov 14, 2014
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 8.5"x 11" DD coil & Vulcan 360 pin pointer
along with good 'ol eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cute lil bunny...
Yeah, my dummy dogs have to throw a fit over anything they see in their yard.
Funny how they act except when it's in the middle of the night...

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tamrock, when I lived back in Texas, I couldn't find enough flea powder, spray, and dips for the dogs. I used to spray about a 30' band around the house several times a year to try to control them. There were also ticks, but very seldom did the dogs get one. A couple of times, we even got fleas inside the house. Back then, 02 to 07, I used Spectracide, to spray inside and outside the house. Yes, I know, you're not supposed to spray that stuff inside, but I did it for years. (Maybe that's what's wrong with my brain. lol) I started using it back in the mid 60s for roaches. Back then, it was a killer-diller on anything that crawled or flew. The government kept 'dumbing' it down until it became almost useless. Now they have Triazacide. Not too bad, but only need it for the spider population. That's about the only thing around where I live now that is bothersome. We have the hobo spiders; almost like the Brown Recluse, just a little different coloring on the legs. Both are bad for us!
One more little note. I used to pour DDT into a water gun and squirt insects with it. Only problem, the DDT would melt the plastic after a short while. (That's probably more what's wrong with my brain, than the Spectracide!)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread