The Neverending Winter of 2013 in the North

northwoods

Feb 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
White's DFX300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OK - I have been done with winter for a month now, but it won't go away. We are going to have snow in northern MI until May. I did get out this week and try out my new settings on my DFX after studying Foster's 'Digging Deeper with the DFX' over the winter. I also upgraded to the new Garrett pinpointer and Man, that was a great buy! It only costed me $30, after I sold my old White's pinpointer for $90 on Amazon.

I was able to find some clad above the frostline, but it was frustrating to hear good deeper signals in some places, but i could not chip through the rock-hard ice. Oh well, I'll come back later. Come on, warm weather. Winter sucks.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I'm so sick of winter I could puke. Still it's slowly getting better here. Nights are still in the 20's/30's. I can't imagine it not getting better for another month. Hit the tot lots when it's sunny. You could hit silver/gold under the wood chips. I've found both in tot lots last year. You won't be able to go below the weed barrier, frustrating with deep signals, but you won't be chipping ice.

vandaria

May 11, 2012
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-trac,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am in IL and feel your pain! Plus I just saw a forecast that says poor MN is going to get hit again next week with snow which will push colder air (again) towards us and causing thunderstorms most of the coming week.(ok I would rather the snow tbh I hate lightning) No clue what that system will do as it hits the Lakes and then you guys East of us. On the plus tho they are talking about warmer temps by the 16th...it's just so far away tho!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. We still have some snow cover and frozen ground, but its been in the 40s so I loaded up my newest detector and hit a local sliding hill and tot lot. The hill was as I suspected still too hard to detect but I scooped up a few surface finds and tried the sand playground. There was only a few inches of it that was thawed but I at least got a bit of my detecting itch scratched. Spring is getting here, its just s l oooooo w.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The end of winter Blah's

SusanMN, I've always remembered the sledding hills from Michigan and thought they should produce something. What new detector toy are you playing with?

Mzjavert, I get that way about backpacking season but at least in your case puking on the ground might thaw the ground a little.

Northwoods, sounds like you've outfitted yourself very well for "the season" whenever it arrives and for how long it might last. Over the winter I purchased the 4 x 6 DD coil for my XLT, it arrived and then I had shoulder surgery about three weeks ago. So swinging with that arm or doing much of anything with it is not possible at the moment.

Patience seems to be something that we are all short of, sigh!...............63bkpkr

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Tuesday's weather forecast for SW Va for Thursday was sunny and 50. I'd planned a nice hunt.

Yesterday and through the night we received 6" of white sunny weather on the ground - a veritable Winter Wonderland out there.

Maybe Weather.com was just trying to cheer us up early this week....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread