Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in the late 90's I was metal detecting a dirt path in a local park and managed to lose my class ring. When I realized it had slipped on my finger, I went back and redetected all my holes and came up empty. I've assumed until recently that it was on the surface and someone picked it up assuming it was gold...and never bother to contact me when they found out it wasn't gold. (Full name inside the ring.)

In the last year I found out that the ring is most likely a stainless steel composition. Which probably would not have signaled in the jewelry/coin mode I would have been using.

Now I have found a few stainless steel items in the last year. But they have all been shallow at maybe an inch or less. The signals have been a weak, I might have a hit or not, type signal.

I normally keep my discrimination right at the edge of foil. I'll find crunched/folded foil targets, but not unwrapped foil. My big question is should I turn down the discrimination or use all metal mode? Any other hints on finding stainless steel?

Thanks everybody.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All Metal baby! Go get it!

OP
OP
Mzjavert

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Terry. I'm going to that park Saturday. First time in 10 years...so hopefully nobody's found it since then.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Found a stainless spoon yesterday, was running a custom coin mode and it was a weak signal.
If hunting only your ring a test on a similar object will give an idea of where it should register. A duplicate item you could discrim most every thing else out. Without knowing type metal then all metal as Terry said best bet to hit it.
The hard part for me when hunting a specific item is ignoring every thing else,especially coins! Its backwards.

OP
OP
Mzjavert

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The hard part for me when hunting a specific item is ignoring every thing else,especially coins! Its backwards.

LOL, by this time last year I'd been out probably 45-50 times. This year 5 or 6 and a couple of those hunts were less than 30 minutes. Stupid winter and 2nd shift job. I plan on digging everything. Fortunately the area where I lost the ring is fairly well defined and easy digging due to being next to the river and partly sandy.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
This is sort of an antithesis, a counter-proposition and denotes a direct contrast to the original proposition :(

Looking for a treasure during which you lost perhaps a greater treasure....

Bad juju bwana! (old Tarzan movies)

Hopefully you'll find it before some other treasure hunter gets to it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread