The New Guy (from the east coast of Nebraska)

truthcolor

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2010
Omaha, Nebraska
Hey guys-

I am new to the forum and excited to be posting. I am also new to arrowhead hunting, but in my first two outings have found a couple points and a few other curious items. I will post pictures as soon as I can get my camera to work.

I live in Omaha, NE (anyone else from this area?). My finds thus far have been while creek walking in a small tributary in the lower Platte River valley. This particular area is affiliated with the Central Plains tradition— a term used by archeologists to define the vast prehistoric Native American population that lived in Nebraska from A.D. 1000 to 1400. Does anyone have any finds from this area?

A couple questions for you:

1. How often do you walk the same stretch of creek? I realize that it probably depends on how much rain the area is getting. Would you/do you search the same stretch even if it hasn't rained? After every rain?

2. I haven't searched any fields yet, but would like to. Do you just pull into a farm's driveway and knock on the door for permission?

I hope that I don't sound like a fool with these questions... any input is greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0
F

Felinepeachy

Hi Truthcolor, and welcome to TreasureNet. I can't wait to see your finds. I haven't had any luck walking creeks but I would say that even if you've had no rain you could still walk the same area again because there is always a good chance that you didn't see something the last time you were there.

As far as field hunting goes, talk to a few farmers you may already know and they could suggest people for you. Then when you walk up to a door you can start by saying, "So and so told me you might blah blah blah....."

I don't know how folks are there but they are very accommodating here and never have a problem with letting me hunt their fields. Some folks could care less what you find and others are interested. But yes, just go up to the door and ask. They appreciate folks asking permission. Sometimes it helps to explain that you will not be doing any digging, just looking for stuff on the surface. That way they know you aren't going to be digging up their crops.

Congratulations on your first finds. :hello2:

Peachy :tongue3:

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome! I watch a lot of arrowhead creek walking video's on youtube and learn a few things along the way..Check sand bars is a must and plan on doing a lot of walking..I;m still looking for my first point,LOL! Can't wait to see the pics.

OP
OP
truthcolor

truthcolor

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2010
Omaha, Nebraska
Thanks for the tips guys! Your kindness has helped me to get over my shaking knee stage fright!

Here's the points that I found. I am not sure what they are. Ideas?

Attachments

• points.jpg
    points.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 536

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
look up tom westfall's book, flint chips and pottery shards. he's has a couple different books out from your area.

OP
OP
truthcolor

truthcolor

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2010
Omaha, Nebraska
Thanks Steve, I definately will!

Here are pics of the finds that I am unsure of. An ID on any of these would be great. If they are "just rocks" that's fine too... it won't hurt my feelings!

Attachments

• not sure 1.jpg
    not sure 1.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 536
  • not sure 2.jpg
    not sure 2.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 530
  • maybe grape shot.jpg
    maybe grape shot.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 529
  • not sure 3a.jpg
    not sure 3a.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 535
  • not sure 3b.jpg
    not sure 3b.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 537
  • not sure 3c.jpg
    not sure 3c.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 545
F

Felinepeachy

I think the two round balls are geofacts as well as the big stone thing. The rest appear to be artifacts but you have to wait for the experts to come in and tell you what they are. We have some really good folks here that are very knowledgeable about artifacts. Someone will ID them soon.

Peachy :cat:

OP
OP
truthcolor

truthcolor

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2010
Omaha, Nebraska
Hey Steve-

The bottom piece almost looks like the butt end of a shotgun. One entire edge is almost like a blade, the other is rounded and about 1 and 1/2 " at it's widest. The ends are flat (it will stand up on either end). Very symmetrical.

I'm really just not sure either. I showed it to my dad, and he said that he thinks it looks like it was worked.

Jonzer

Feb 12, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Natural Eyeball Pressure
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Youtube has great videos of creek walking, field hunting and digging. Very instructional.
Good luck to ya.

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
truthcolor said:
I live in Omaha, NE (anyone else from this area?). My finds thus far have been while creek walking in a small tributary in the lower Platte River valley. This particular area is affiliated with the Central Plains tradition— a term used by archeologists to define the vast prehistoric Native American population that lived in Nebraska from A.D. 1000 to 1400. Does anyone have any finds from this area?

It is true that your area will produce artifacts associated with Central Plains Tradition, however if you are hunting Nebraska stream-beds then it is possible for a wide range of finds. Stream-beds have the potential to produce artifacts from 11,000 years ago on up into historic times.

This is only a suggestion, but if you have streams in your area that produce artifacts then I would concentrate on my hunting there. Field hunting in Nebraska is generally not very productive except for the later cultures such as the CPT.
Most archaic and paleo sites in Nebraska are buried well below the plow zone.

11KBP

OP
OP
truthcolor

truthcolor

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2010
Omaha, Nebraska
11KBP-

Thanks for the advice. I know the historic tribes in the area were the Omaha, Oto, and Pawnee. I am really not sure what kind of stuff I am finding in the creek. Can you tell by the pic what period the points I found are? I also walked the creek again today... only found unworked flint chips, unfortunately. I hope to find another spot or two so that I can mix it up a bit.

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
haw Truthcolor!! and welcome to Tnet, from Tmodel!! on the eastern highland rim of tennessee.. i do not know your area but have to agree with Peachy!! sure looks like you have a good creek. five worked flints, at least two of them kippers you are way ahead of me i am at one larger size photo. love the quarter in the photos. Terry

OP
OP
truthcolor

truthcolor

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2010
Omaha, Nebraska
Thanks tmodel! I took a break from the creek today and got permission to check out another creek and field. No luck in the new spot, but I am not convinced that I shouldn't try them again after a good rain.

P.S. Love me some Tennessee... I used to live in Nashville!

tomahawktina

Jul 5, 2011
hi yall. looking for artifact hunters in southeast nebraska area to share finds and hunt together..i have found a wide variety of arrowheads, pottery,scrapers, knives, etc......let know if your interested?!?! :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread