Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang! That does look like it would make a good scalper :o ! What Indians were in Texas --The Commanche? Apache?
You might ask some of those guys in the fur trade era part of the forum to see if they've found a knife blade like that.
Did you find any metal arrow points in the midden?

OP
OP
steve71

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
sandcreek4 said:
Dang! That does look like it would make a good scalper :o ! What Indians were in Texas --The Commanche? Apache?
You might ask some of those guys in the fur trade era part of the forum to see if they've found a knife blade like that.
Did you find any metal arrow points in the midden?
no metal arrowheads found

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find. I've tried and tried to find a metal point, with no success. Lots of Comanches in Texas, and Caddoan tribes in the north east. By the way, you didn't scalp from the forehead back. Generally, it was around the crown of the head. There was a scalp lock, which was a braided strand of hair from that area of the head. You still see this today. In the old days, it was a challenge, like come get this if you can. Most scalps were a patch of only about 4 inches in diameter or so. You would cut that circle, put your foot on the victim, yank on the hair, and it would come off with a 'pop'. There were exceptions, whole scalp removals, which I have noticed usually appeared on white victims, who did not take the time to grow a long scalp lock. And that's my dissertation on totally useless skills for the 21st century.

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
RGINN said:
Cool find. I've tried and tried to find a metal point, with no success. Lots of Comanches in Texas, and Caddoan tribes in the north east. By the way, you didn't scalp from the forehead back. Generally, it was around the crown of the head. There was a scalp lock, which was a braided strand of hair from that area of the head. You still see this today. In the old days, it was a challenge, like come get this if you can. Most scalps were a patch of only about 4 inches in diameter or so. You would cut that circle, put your foot on the victim, yank on the hair, and it would come off with a 'pop'. There were exceptions, whole scalp removals, which I have noticed usually appeared on white victims, who did not take the time to grow a long scalp lock. And that's my dissertation on totally useless skills for the 21st century.
I don't know bout totally useless skills RGINN, I've met a few folks I'd like to scalp...lol...goat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread