The Old Church Site Hunt

Trash Digger

Dec 15, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I had bypassed this site last weekend. I was not properly dressed to fight briars and brush. Today, I was prepared. I do not know when this church was established, but it had to be old. It was listed on the USGS topo map as a historical site.

Nature is reclaiming the site. The pile of rubble that was once the church house is covered with brush, briars, and a few trees 10 inches or so in diameter. Only the steps remain, and they, too, were overgrown. It was difficult to even swing the coil of my detector without getting it tangled in undergrowth. It was at the edge of the rubble that the clock and the typewriter were found. The bottle was on the top, probably left there by some derelict citizen seeking his salvation through the bottle years ago. A few spots at the site were relatively clear, but no good signals were to be heard in these areas. No coins sang their song through the DFX.

A small cemetery was discovered behind the rubble pile of the collapsed building. Nothing but ghosts live there now. May you rest in peace Thomas and Betty Stancil, Clara Parker, and the others residing there. At one time, someone cared.

Mike

Attachments

• PineyGroveChurch-1.jpg
    PineyGroveChurch-1.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 533
  • PineyGroveChurch-3.jpg
    PineyGroveChurch-3.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 467
  • ChurchSteps-1.jpg
    ChurchSteps-1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 530
  • bottle-1.jpg
    bottle-1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 520
  • clock.jpg
    clock.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 508
  • Typewriter-1.jpg
    Typewriter-1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 515
  • Gravestones-1.jpg
    Gravestones-1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 507
  • Gravestones-6.jpg
    Gravestones-6.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 503
Upvote 0

leslie(nova scotia)

Silver Member
Sep 22, 2006
lower sackville,nova scotia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garretts only
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yo trash digger

From the land of the Bluenose.....you are right mister man have to dress right for a spot like that. More to come from that spot by the looks of it. Keep us posted and happy hunting!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
This is why I have no qualms with a cemetery search; what shows disrespect, letting trees and poison ivy take over or removing a small plug and putting it back and occasionally finding a buried grave marker or military marker and replacing it?

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
im always sad when i see a cemetary in that condition. i guess the folks who are buried there have no remaining friends or relatives. good luck next time you go up there. there must be some coins hiding somewhere in all of that undergrowth.

OP
OP
Trash Digger

Trash Digger

Dec 15, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
halfdime said:
This is why I have no qualms with a cemetery search; what shows disrespect, letting trees and poison ivy take over or removing a small plug and putting it back and occasionally finding a buried grave marker or military marker and replacing it?

The grave marker for Clara Parker was lying face down when I found it. It was too heavy for me to lift it and set it back on its base, but I was able to get it upright again leaning against the base.

These are the markers that really make me sad when I am in an old cemetary.

Mike

Attachments

• Gravestones-4.jpg
    Gravestones-4.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 429

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow - looks like a great site to search~

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread