GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I get to an old spot today after being turned down by another farmer nearby. I was pleased to see that a couple of large sections had been turned over! I almost jumped out of my skin...

I got my gear on and rushed into the dirt, heartbeat spiking at the thought of the plethora of coins that awaited me.

Within the first half hour, I realised there was a big problem. My boots were so caked with mud from the rains the night before, that I could barely walk. They became really heavy. I cleaned them off and tried again, but it was torture.

I tried walking as slowly as I could. No dice. Not even Baryshnikov could keep his feet clean on this one. It was too fresh. Not to mention that walking on this turned over ground is a recipe for an ankle disaster. I gave up and hit solid pounded ground... for now. :BangHead:

Anyway, here's my finds. :)

1800's Ships, Colonies, Commerce token from PEI (Toasted. Thanks, fertilizer.)

2013_10_15_16_49_39.jpg

Oxshoe

2013_10_17_14_24_32.jpg

Necklace piece? This one intrigues me. There are designs all over it, and there are still two stones remaining. When I wet them, they are a pinkish, slightly translucent stone. It doesn't look like it would have been comfortable to wear... but what else could it have been?

2013_10_17_16_41_09.jpg

2013_10_17_16_41_16.jpg

2013_10_17_16_41_32.jpg

2013_10_17_17_20_51.jpg

Thimble

2013_10_17_17_16_50.jpg

Happy hunting!

Last edited:
Upvote 5

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, should of went barefoot, lol.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That mud can give you one heck of a work out. Rick and I did the same thing this spring and we were at it for 7 hours, it took 2 days to recover from that one.
Your site does look like it has some good potential so keep an eye on it and eventualy the farmer will smooth all that out for you. It might not be untill sping time but I am sure it will be worth the wait.
ZDD

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 or 4 good targets in a half hour...great spot. Like ZDD said, been there, done that, have hunted in horizontal rain, snow flurries, but no worries the stuff isn't going anywhere.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I hear ya, I've had some hellish days slogging in the mud, but as long as the finds were there so was I. But we all have our limits, and like Rick said, that stuff has been there for a while and it ain't going anywhere real soon!
Those SCC tokens are a good sign, they date from the 1830s, anything from that time is good enough for me, I'll stick around for a few of those!

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys. Today I learned: The saying on the token is from Napoleon, for he said at the battle of Ulm, that the 3 British advantages of ships, colonies and commerce will defeat him in the end.

ZDD, you're right. He isn't finished with them yet... but he probably won't do much til the spring. It's all good though. An internet permission mission was fruitful today and I have two new spots to hunt: one former riverboat hotel/boarding house and another big 'ole farm. It's not as close to the river as I'd like, but it is an older part of the province. There should be some Georgian stuff kicking around, Victorian at the least. :metaldetector:

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear ya, I've had some hellish days slogging in the mud, but as long as the finds were there so was I. But we all have our limits, and like Rick said, that stuff has been there for a while and it ain't going anywhere real soon!
Those SCC tokens are a good sign, they date from the 1830s, anything from that time is good enough for me, I'll stick around for a few of those!

Right on, IH. I know that some were 1815 but I wasn't sure when the dateless ones were struck. :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread