the oldie lives again..

crusty metal

Feb 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the 'oldie' lives again..

I was just tinkering with a couple old 'dead' (so I thought) garretts I had bought off the bay. neither one was working. I got a few noises out of the one but nothing at all out of other. Anyway..I took the one..a D2 wide scan 'speed king' and just turned some of the dials all while while it was making a constant mumming noise- lo and behold the noise stopped and then after some more adjusting- it beeps loud now when just passes over metal! I really didn't think their was much hope for it. It is a old timer but rather light compared to the other so maybe my daughter can use it? The other dead one is a long box garrett electronics VLF 'coin hunter' with a real thick 'pinpoint co-axle' coil. I might just scrap that one seens its so old/heavy. Any chance the co-axle coil will work on the first speed king'?

chasu

Jul 9, 2007
South Georgia
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT pro and XP Deus
Sounds like the potentiometer and switches might have been dirty. They actually make cleaners for this. If you remember your old radio getting scratchy when you changed volume, the principle is the same. Congrats on getting one working.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mantel piece never get rid of old detector hang them high

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread