🥇 BANNER The One We Have Waited For, Privy Heaven!!!!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Hello all treasure freaks this is the one we have waited for. The one I gave a little teaser trailer on with the previous digs that I posted. This one took a bit to get it all together and all cleaned up after the fantastic dig that we had just unearthed. I suppose it all started a few years ago with the first pit that we had dug and discovered what a great hobby it was to actually dig up history. Several hundred pits later and we finally hit a privy that I think will go down as one of the best experiences I have had treasure hunting.
It started out with some luck, then we added just a little bit more luck and topped it off with a whole lot of luck! The timing was crazy too. Started off by just driving around to see where the excavators were digging up a bit of a parking lot. Found one pretty close to the city center so we thought we had a good chance to check it out. So we waited for the workers to stop for the day, then Gary had to probe it for the pits. It was late and he actually found a good one. But it was too late to dig with no lights. Kinda dangerous. :tongue3: So the next day came around and the excavators were back at it. So we waited for our time to pounce on it after he stopped pushing dirt around. He was so close to the privy that I just had to say something to the dozer driver. Usually I hate to interrupt their work but this one we had to take a chance. As luck would have it he said that he was almost done for the day and that he would leave the pit area alone, but just for one day. So all or nothing for tonight. One chance to dig this pit that we knew would be great. Gary had found a pontil Canker Balsam bottle right on top. Figuring everything below would be just as old or older. So at a feverish pitch we began to excavate what would be an unbelievable evening.

So it was Don, myself and Gary going at it. You have to be super careful because pontil bottles are fragile. Down about 5 feet we hit the top of the "Use Layer". Pontil Heaven!!:headbang: We started to hit Scroll Flasks like it was the factory for them. One after another after another. Aqua, then the great site of an amber one. What a great day to be a digger. The amber one alone is huge. I'm sure it would bring a pretty penny all by itself. Then a kinda heart breaker one. A true Sapphire color scroll flask with the top knocked off. But still an incredible find. Then more aqua scrolls, pints and half pint. Then we hot a streak of medicines, cures and bitters bottles. All iron or open pontil bottles. All dating to around 1850. Crazy time had by all. The medicines saw the light of day for the first time in over 150 years. Radway RRR pontils, Dr. Bakers Pain Panacea, Dr. Wrights Indian Vegetable Syrup, Budd's Bone Wound Liniment, Ayers Cherry Pectoral all pontiled. Then a great looking C.T. Hughes & Co pepper sauce with an open pontil. Some miscellaneous unmarked tubular bottles and 4 Iron Pontil Udolpho Wolfe's Aromatic Schnapps that were iron pontil. Then 9 John Moffat Phoenix Bitters showed their faces after a century of slumber. Unbelievable. That's all we could say to each other.

Then to finish the pit Gary found a great Ravina Glass Company Travelers Companion flask in amber. And a nice ale tri mold bottle was picked out as well. Everything we pulled out was either Iron Pontil or open pontil. I could not believe the privy that we had all just experienced and captured forever on film. All tallied we pulled over 50 pontil bottles from the pit that just might surpass the $5,000 mark. But no matter what the price we eventually get for them it will never pass the amount of fun and great times we had spent just wondering how very lucky we were to get to dig this pit. Once in a few hundred privies we may get the chance, but we know reality, this may never ever happen again. A once in a lifetime chance really, but it sure paid off in good times and the fact that we can be treasure hunters in this great country and share this history with everyone! Thanks for looking everyone, be safe out there and we hope to do some more digging real soon. Until next time, jgas

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,160
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,122
  • p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,648
  • p4.jpg
    p4.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,572
  • p5.jpg
    p5.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,028
  • p10.jpg
    p10.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,050
  • p9.jpg
    p9.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 979
  • p8.jpg
    p8.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,021
  • p7.jpg
    p7.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,042
  • p6.jpg
    p6.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,685
  • p11.jpg
    p11.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,261
  • p12.jpg
    p12.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 8,096
  • p13.jpg
    p13.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,036
  • p14.jpg
    p14.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 986
  • p15.jpg
    p15.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,090
  • p20.jpg
    p20.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,053
  • p19.jpg
    p19.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 745
  • p18.jpg
    p18.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,016
  • p17.jpg
    p17.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,051
  • p16.jpg
    p16.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,070
  • p21.jpg
    p21.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,663
  • p22.jpg
    p22.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,035
  • p23.jpg
    p23.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 982
  • p24.jpg
    p24.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 700
  • p25.jpg
    p25.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,037
  • p30.jpg
    p30.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,034
  • p29.jpg
    p29.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 749
  • p28.jpg
    p28.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,059
  • p27.jpg
    p27.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,040
  • p26.jpg
    p26.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,045
  • p35.jpg
    p35.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 740
  • p34.jpg
    p34.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 996
  • p33.jpg
    p33.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 958
  • p32.jpg
    p32.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,007
  • p31.jpg
    p31.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,615
  • p36.jpg
    p36.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 991
  • p37.jpg
    p37.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 1,036
  • p38.jpg
    p38.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 750
Upvote 74

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, from a non-bottle digger.
How do you determine who digs and how much?
When you find bottles, do you mark them or seperate them per the one who dug it, or do you just dig like hell and split it all at the end?
Not sure sitting in a dusty pit with a cigarette smoker is my kinda fun, but hell, if you're sucking up cigarette smoke, whats the difference with sucking dirt?
Still, those bottles are pretty cool.

How much is that John Moffat bottle worth?
Does that have any relation to the same folks who created
the "Moffat and Co." gold piece?

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
We usually take turns in the pit and whatever we get when it's our turn is what we each get. Although with this pit we pretty much shared the finds and of course several of them are worth quite a bit. The Moffat bottles go for $150 to $280 a piece. The colored scroll flasks can sometimes skyrocket to the thousands. Oh and yes, I've been trying to get Gary to stop smoking for years. Bad habit! Bottle digging, Good Habit! Lol. Thanks for the replies. Jgas

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I love my Gold but that is a Beautiful collection of treasure you guys have found, Congrads on all and Good Luck on the next Dig.

sliverofsilver

Apr 23, 2011
howell , nj
Detector(s) used
eyes, whites classic SL ,Bounty Hunter Tracker I-D/505 ,
Discovery 1100, eyes,hatchet,shovel,scoop,for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow! great finds and great looking bottles
love em
HH

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
So, I am not a artifact treasure hunter. I am just a small scale coin collector who does not know much about this stuff. However I clicked on this link as it was on the banner and started looking through the pics. On one of the bottles it says John Moffat. Well my name is Blake MOFFAT. So, I am just wondering if anybody knows the history behind this bottle. As a share the same last name. ????????????????????????????

Chuxter

Jul 29, 2013
Glad all of your hard work paid off! Love to see ya preserving so much history!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I tend to get on TNet sporadically these days and I was delighted to find a jgas post on the Banner! What an awesome dig! I need to get on the stick and find myself a few good privies again. I was offered an old mansion to detect this week and it still has an old six seater. Looks like it may have been used recently, though. Congratulations on the Banner and keep on digging! One question, and I may have asked in the past: do you guys do any sifting? You mentioned a $5 gold piece that came out of a pit recently; could you have missed more over the years?

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Nice to hear from you Halfdime. We occasionally metal detect the soil and ash after we dig. Most of the time though the coins would be at the very bottom of the pit and most of the time the sidewalls fall in and we don't tend to remove that dirt. I'm sure we have missed numerous coins along the way. I will detect it more and more now after seeing that gold coin pop out. Thanks for the great replies everyone. Jgas

Col.Philo95thNY

Jul 27, 2007
Ocala, Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MineLab Explorer I & II, SE Pro, Fisher CZ-20, Fisher 6a, Bounty Hunter LandStar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Finds... I always enjoy seeing these type bottles come to light...

Philo

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah you definitely hit the Jackpot with that one, congratulations guys :occasion14:

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy moly you guys have found some of the most beautiful glass I have ever seen come out of the ground. I could only dream of digging one of those flasks coming out whole one day.

Detect History

Feb 5, 2013
GI Joe headquarters
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh my GOD!!! That is absolutely spectacular!!! Incredible finds.

You guys should take a professional shot of all those bottle with a bit of backlight and get a group shot of the hunters with dirty faces and a pic of the privvy. Title it "perseverance".

Incredible and thanks so much for sharing

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
One for the books. That amber scroll is killer. Bottles are my favorite finds and that was one hole.

saksall1935

Greenie
Oct 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow a great find, take it from an old digger since 1968, i would like to tell you about my first find,i was going through an old abandoned house,i was upstairs looking at some old picture frames, when i found a crawl space, i noticed 3 old wood boxes, had to look to see what was in them they were full of bottles very old they all had lables and in very good shape even the two warner safes,witch i have never seen again not even in books, also in one box was an old gorge washington flask there was about 30 bottles in all and in good condition, that was my first find back in 1968, went right home and washed and cleaned those old dirty lables off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread