the ones that got away !!! any truly exciting near misses ?

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
we all love to find and hear of others who have found the great finds.but close misses can be exciting too.and whet the appetite.i have always wanted to mention this story but never found aplace to do it. so here goes. i was in a bank i dont visit much trying to get halves.i heard a noise.a couple came in giggling and dancing.after completeing my transaction i couldnt help hanging around a bit to see what all the fuss was about.soi went over to the writing desk and proceeded to re count my coins.seemed the teller knew these people.old @!#$$%% finally bit the dust .and left us all his money.were headed to vegas. what are these coins worth? they opened 2 large suitcases filled with obviously valuable coin collection.teller says u shouldnt bring these here they are worth a lot of money.if i take it in i can only give u face value for them.man says ok i dont care.couple proceeds to crack open what appear to be obw rolls of unc silver.to trade at face.yeowwww.even though i dont have an account there, i go back after they leave and flat out say im a coin collector i want to buy them.always be courteously bold,right? teller says no way! i have to talk to the manager about this.maybe come back tomorrow.i dont sleep any.i wait at doorway with 6000 cash 2 hours before bank opens.i ask for said teller.told that person no longer employed here.who got the loot? or was it given back to the careless couple? all i iknow is for months afterword all i could see was unc walkers,mercs etc being dumped.every time i closed my eyes.it almost drove me mad!!!! anybody near miss stories??? of course weve all asked for the odd silver coin in the teller tray,only to be told no im saving it.myself.but that counts,too.

Upvote 0

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Honestly that's never really happened to me. I mean aside from going into a random bank and the teller saying something to the effect of 'sure we have lots of halves, and you're welcome to them! Oh, and do you have an account here?' And sometimes I don't, and they just won't give them to me. That seems to happen to me a lot around here, but of course not each and every time.

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
This weekend a teller told me that the other teller had halves. I went to her and asked for them, she said I have a few, I said I'll buy them all, etc. As she was getting them out I saw silver ones. :) She put all the obvious silver ones in her drawer (about 4-5) and gave me three halves. One was a 40%! Missed one!

She then said to me, "how do you know which coins are the old ones?"

Huh?! You just plucked out the old ones!

Brian

OP
OP
scrounger d detector collector
Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
YEAH i hear ya.been there for sure.the truly aggreavating though is wjen they say. oh yeah we had a bunch of real old ones.somebody came and bought them all yesterday,u wonder if is trueor they just want to honk u off?

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
I was in a bank today that had no halves because they sent the bag out of the coin counter to the FED last week- I could have cried. HH Mark

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
ME_CO said:
I was in a bank today that had no halves because they sent the bag out of the coin counter to the FED last week- I could have cried. HH Mark
I've had that happen lot's of times.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ME_CO said:

Had that happen to me on a road trip earlier this year...They said they had just sent out the bag of halves to the Fed either the day or week before (I forget which). They also said they had had that bag for 5 years. :'( And to think I was going to do that road trip a week earlier, but didn't make it out.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ME_CO said:

I have had to same thing happen to me. And it was a bank that the last time I bought their full bag I got over 200 40%. It went to the main branch 20 miles up the road. Since I was going that way anyway, I stopped there and they said they no longer had it. :'( :'(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread