Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
handy said:
Seen on tv there is one fly that when they lay there larve they put it in a fireant the ants dont eat the flys and they can kill of a mound and move on to the next one.

That's not fire ants they do that to, it is wood ants. Wood ants don't bike like fire ants and are not aggressive. You can see some are black and some are brownish/red colors. They are generally around a 1/4 inch in size.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a good way to clean deer skulls. Plop it on the nest and let the ants do the work.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Here they are. Note the ant in front of the Horney. He vanished a second later. Frank

Attachments

• fire ants_edited-1.jpg
    fire ants_edited-1.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 305
  • Horney toad and ant-AZ.jpg
    Horney toad and ant-AZ.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 332

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Apparently what I have been calling fire ant is not. I associate fire ant with something MUCH larger, usually black and red and fuzzy, nearly the size of a bumblebee without the wings. Just tried searching for fire ant and only found pics of the much smaller ones you show.

Wake-up call.

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
When I lived in CA in the 60's, we just called them "red ants". About 1/4" long, they would sting like the dickens!!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Tuberale, They are wingless wasps. Fuzzy, red, about 3/4"long. They have stingers like other wasps They are called" COW-KILLERS".
The male has wings and the Female does not. The male does not sting. The female mostly kills wasps and bees and lays her eggs on them.

The fire ant is listed as .2" long.

Attachments

• hand print_edited-2.jpg
    hand print_edited-2.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 269
  • hand print_edited-2.jpg
    hand print_edited-2.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 258

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa/Tesoro Cibola
Tuberale, i always called what ur talkin bout a cow killer, its actualy a wingless wasp and will light u up if it stings ya!!

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa/Tesoro Cibola
Just thank our lucky stars the velvet ant aka cow killer isnt as prolific as the fire ant! I stepped on one barefoot once and dang near passed out!

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting at night can be very dangerous. Dig a hole on or near their nest and the do NOT like it. AMDRO is the best thing I have found to kill them. Stomp near their nest and out they come. Then sprinkle AMDRO on them so they will take it down below to eat. Next day the nest will be empty.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread