French Creek hunter

Dec 8, 2011
Charleston,WV
Detector(s) used
White's Classic 5id, Minelab E-Trac.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I call "graphing".

I find this metal detecting technique that I'm about to bring up very interesting. I first discovered not long ago in SC from a beach metal detectorest.
So I was metal detecting in my usual straight line,maybe moving to a new spot every 6 seconds or so. So I watch this older gentleman that was metal detecting, getting ready to pass him and maybe stop to talk to him ( which I did ). I looked at how he was metal detecting and I was amazed to see zig-zags up and down the beach, about 30 ft from top to bottom with about 3 feet in between the lines.The lines where made by the dragging of his scoop. I thought to myself,could you really find more this way? I didn't have a scoop but I decided to just drag my feet. I was amazed to find 10X more than what I once was. Coins and all kinds of stuff,even a wheat penny! But I have been wanting to try this on land instead of beach but I would use flags for each turn I do so I can see where I have been. I've never had so much patience until I found this technique. Does anyone else do this?

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: What I call "graphing".

I usually try to lay out an area a few yards square and hunt it as thoroughly as I can before moving on the the next area. This way I'm most likely to pass the coil over a target if it's there.
luvsdux

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When hunting beaches and fairly clear still waters, if it wasn't for the drag lines of my scoop and coil swing I'd be completely lost as to where I've been and how much overlap I'm getting in coil sweeps. I'm constantly taking note of these trails to make sure I'm hunting the area as tight as possible.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

I drag my scoop, tells me where I've been. My friend doesn't drag a scoop, but he's happy I do, because it shows him that it's been gone over. Doesn't work the other way for me though, and he usually finds more stuff than I do, being on fresh ground all the time.

OP
OP
F

French Creek hunter

Dec 8, 2011
Charleston,WV
Detector(s) used
White's Classic 5id, Minelab E-Trac.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've gotten some Surveying Traverse nails,even knowing their expensive, I have made do with just putting them half way into the ground. I have also tied some surveying ribbon around the top. Can't wait to try it more thoroughly next weekend! Maybe at my Civil War sight. :icon_pirat:

I've also used Google Earth to show me the length of the sight to give me a estimated "crossing" and possibly how many hours or days it will take and how many nails it will be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread