The past mantle relics #10

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
This full groove broken axe poll, found on the same creek as my favorite three quarter groove axe and the small roller pestle, was broken at the groove. Found 12/07/2003 in Hancock County Indiana.

I had been walking the field and was heading out. As I got into the dark loam ground of a boggy area, I seen the axe poll laying on the ground, poll up. I was hoping the axe was complete, but to my surprise when I lifted it, all of the axe was indeed showing above ground. It's an interesting axe break.

I have found a few axe bits with part of the facing. At least I think that's the case. It's difficult to determine if that sort of broken relic is part of a celt or part of an axe. I theorize it's an axe because the majority of celts and adz's I have found in this area are 2 to 4 inches in length and rather thin.

Judging from the lack of sharp edges in the break area, it's an old break. I have not found the other part(s) of this axe - yet.

DY2003_hancock_buck_1.jpg

DY2003_hancock_buck_3.jpg

DY2003_hancock_buck_2.jpg

Upvote 6

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Interesting shape almost like a Loaf Stone. It’s been a while since I’ve seen one so it might be too big. Good find

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it took a blow from the side? I could see the haft providing enough support to cause it to break there. As to why… maybe it rolled in the hand, maybe it was being used improperly someone trying to smash something or swinging it at something or someone

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve experimented with making hardstone artifacts. Axes, celts, banners and pipes. The hardest part is finding a good igneous rock with no cracks. Dognose is in IN. That rock that was made into his axe was dragged all the way to IN from Canada by the glacier. It’s no wonder so many of these glacial rocks have cracks. When selecting a rock, I bang on it with a piece of hard quartz and listen to see if it rings or has a dull thud sound indicating a crack. It’s hard to tell on some and a crack will usually cause failure. If not right away during manufacture, it will eventually.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread