The Peddlers Lost Cache

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Peddler's Lost Cache

Moishe Edelman lay dying in a doctor's office in Cleveland, Ohio (1933)
He told the doctor an interesting story before he died. He said " There
are thousand of dollars in coins hidden in wooden chest, In an area
know as the Big Ugly, near the small town of Leet, West Virginia. Go up
the Guyandotte River until it branches off at Laurel Fork, Then proceed
up Laurel Fork about a mile until you come to a very large rock.
The chest of coins are buried along the creek, right across from the rock.

I did a search for this one last year, Wish I could say I found it. But I
didn't. Just wondered if any of you have searched for this one?
Clayton

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: The Peddler's Lost Cache

How many people search for this treasures. Was any of it found?

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have always wanted to check this one out...the doc never found it...but someone said when he buried it someone was watching him and dug it up when he died. Can you get me within a mile of it. PM me.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Can you get me around a foot from this treasure?

chkn

Apr 12, 2010

Boy, you'd think he would have picked a place that was way out of eye shot of everyone to bury it.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

I hate to through a wet blanket on this topic, But I and another TR both researched this one and here is what we came up with. The location is easy to locate on a topo, but the peddler never existed. There is no birth or death certificate for him in the records. He was supposed to have a car, but there is no record of a drivers licence or a registration. He doesn't show up on the census records. I didn't see any buildings close to the supposed burial site on the survey maps, only a cemetery at the top of the hill. I didn't waste time with boots on ground after the research. Also, if you saw someone bury a treasure and you went out and dug it up would you broadcast it around? According to the several versions of this story that I have read, he buried the cache in a creek bank at the intersection of another creek near a huge bolder.
Frank

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used

Franklin, I have two questions. What bid you find, in the form of actual records, that proved that the peddler actually existed? How did the gold get from the barn door sill to the creek? Frank

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used

Franklin, let me get this straight now. You said you got Howard Frye to hire a driver for his backhoe and dig a hole 9' deep for you to find a cache that he knew had been found? Frank

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Franklin and Frankn, would one of you please change your ID. I just read through the post, and couldnt figure out what was going on, and thought one person was writing a post and then answering it himself! hahahahahah The joke is on me!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used

Hay, I got dibs on the handle, I have been here a few posts longer, Just look for the thumb up avatar. That's my hand, I have an exclusive on that.
Now I admit that I have been picking at the deletions and holes in this story not to mention the unlikely reactions of the people involved. I will put my Reputation up against anyones and admit any mistakes I have made. We all have our own takes on many stories, but chasing down a cache that was stashed by someone that can not be proven to have existed is a waste of time. It would be like looking for a cache that Mickey Mouse hid. And that's just my take on this story. Frank

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used

Lastleg, actually there are two of them. I won't give you the exact location, but one is in CAL. and one is in FL. Got the picture? LOL Frank

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Anyone want to help me find the Mickey cache? I have a pretty good idea where it is, and have heard from a reliable source, that there are two of them.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used

Maipenrai, These are deposit caches, not withdraw caches, take plenty of money when you go. LOL ! Frank

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well Frankn, I am sure dissapointed about that, I had my MD all fired up and ready, now I guess I will just have to sit back down and wait for a new treasure lead to pop up.

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

maipenrai said:
Well Frankn, I am sure dissapointed about that, I had my MD all fired up and ready, now I guess I will just have to sit back down and wait for a new treasure lead to pop up.
Without boots on, And confirmation from the locals that someone of this nature did exist.. Possibly under a different name.. This story is under my rug.. The location was easier to locate on a map, Then going to the fridge for a cold drink.. LOL

Poorhunter78

Tmarie

Feb 19, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My ex in laws live about 100 yards from the treasure the rock that is in the lore is in their front yard my daughter plays on the rock all the time. The peddler was a real person he sold pots and pans things of that sort. But back to the treasure I'm not sure if it is real or not but if it was when the main paved road went in they moved the creek over about 20 foot so if there was a treasure it would be almost right on the center line of the road. They have always heard the treasure was real and also knew people that housed the peddler on his travels. If you are interested in trying to find it you go to big ugly off of 119 for about 30 miles after you make the last right turn there will be a white home sitting right beside the road and then a drive way on the right a little past it going up on the hill right between the house and the drive way is where the rock sits up on the hill. Google maps will take you almost to the spot but it will get you on the right road at leet. I would love to see some one get some ground penetrating radar in there to see if anything exist or not.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an account that all of this really happened but some ladies father or uncle happened to see him burying it and dug it up later the next day..and the guy never came back. Seems like it was over 10 K in coins.

Wv 49er

Tenderfoot
Apr 14, 2017
Clarksburg Wv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

now I've been here several times and can tell you it's a bit tricky to navigate through all this and I'm going to tell you one more thing ! It's not where you think it is because ive searched it 5 times so I've armed myself with more wisdom then one would think if it's here I'll find it first and belive me I'm set on a lot more then this in Wv

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread