The "Peralta" Stone Maps --- On Their Own

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
Wayne,

Halseth's actions after the skull was found also kind of shed light on who he was and how he viewed things. The individuals on the expedition, cowboys, newspapermen and Halseth himself all knew that the skull was almost surely that of Adolph Ruth but Halseth saw a possible financial angle and insisted it would require a careful examination to rule out an ancient skull. Since it was on federal land, they were on an archaeology expedition, that he was leading, Odd immediately took control of the skull and shipped it off to Washington. He then appears to have tried to make a dime, not for himself personally, but for the archaeology community.

I would need to review the documents again to be sure but this is how I "recall" the story.

Garry

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garry:

While I fail to see any relationship between Halseth and the stones, there being too much chaff between him and the documented history of the maps, there is more than enough to make Odd seem something of a showman/promoter of anything related to the archeology of the SW. With all he did leave for others to study, I can't see him adding a set of stone carvings buried in the desert as some kind of lure for T-hunters.

Regards:SH.

Somero

Sep 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garry:

While I fail to see any relationship between Halseth and the stones, there being too much chaff between him and the documented history of the maps, there is more than enough to make Odd seem something of a showman/promoter of anything related to the archeology of the SW. With all he did leave for others to study, I can't see him adding a set of stone carvings buried in the desert as some kind of lure for T-hunters.

I would also think that creating such a stir with the maps would be detrimental to any archeological sites, and unfortunately we have seen these effects.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also think that creating such a stir with the maps would be detrimental to any archeological sites, and unfortunately we have seen these effects.

Correct. I can't think of any archaeologist who has ever expressed any belief in the stones as genuine artifacts worthy of consideration.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Hal,

I confuse easily. I was unaware of Halseth's backgound in anything other that that of archaeology. I'm back on track. Thanks!

My focus is on absorbing the personal information you have gathered on Halseth. I would love to see the sources that you can share (links, books, etc). PM me if you don't want to post them in this thread.

Who was Julian Hayden?

Thanks in advance.

Garry

Gary,
I am preparing a list of links for you.
I just want to repeat that Halseth only works if the theory is correct.
If it is not, and I remain open to being proven wrong, everything I have written is coincidence.
But again, there is just so much that works once one sits down and considers all the maps in their proper scale and position.
If it is correct, Odd is the only person who had the vision.
The question is why? Was it something that he did as part of membership in the DONS, or was he a "lone wolf"?
Many of the first DONS were visionaries.

A: Arizona Highways History | Arizona Highways Magazine
"Arizona Highways was first published on April 15, 1925 by the engineers in the old Arizona Highway Department (now the Arizona Department of Transportation)."
A good history to read and Odd was connected to this magazine.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Gary,
I am preparing a list of links for you.
I just want to repeat that Halseth only works if the theory is correct.
If it is not, and I remain open to being proven wrong, everything I have written is coincidence.
But again, there is just so much that works once one sits down and considers all the maps in their proper scale and position.
If it is correct, Odd is the only person who had the vision.
The question is why? Was it something that he did as part of membership in the DONS, or was he a "lone wolf"?
Many of the first DONS were visionaries.

A: Arizona Highways History | Arizona Highways Magazine
"Arizona Highways was first published on April 15, 1925 by the engineers in the old Arizona Highway Department (now the Arizona Department of Transportation)."
A good history to read and Odd was connected to this magazine.

Hal,

There is a spot on Tom Kollenborn's "map" which has a notation that reads "place where the artist drew the Stone Maps". That's a close quote, probably not exact, but fairly accurate. That spot is on the north end of Bluff Spring Mountain.

Take care,

Joe

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Joe

You wrote " There is a spot on Tom Kollenborn's "map" which has a notation that reads "place where the artist drew the Stone Maps". That's a close quote, probably not exact, but fairly accurate. That spot is on the north end of Bluff Spring Mountain."

Yes , is the main location to locate the " Omega " shape , and to recognize the " Perfil " map .

Marius

Marius,

I don't know about that, but at the south end of the mountain there is one of the locator dots from the Stone Map trail. It is the highest point on Bluff Spring Mountain.:hello:

Good luck,

Joe

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thank you joe..I am working on it...
the upsetting part...my brother an I were avid hikers...1960'a Arizona...10 0r 11 tripes to the bottom of grand canyon...thunder river before the porta potties an campgrounds...superstition photos...camp Geronimo...
places that no longer exist as they did...

thank you all for putting up with this insanity...
I will beg off till I am on top of it.

Last edited:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never heard anyone in academia speak of these stones...not one anthropologist or historian.

Don:
I believe it would take an extraordinary discovery to snare the interests of such academics.
There have been a number of well qualified experts who have examined and/or rendered an opinion re: the stone maps.
Desert Archeology Inc. for Arizona Highways Magazine, (http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gcundiff/LostDutchman/peralta/Arizona Highways.pdf), as well as J. Scott Woods of the TNF, Charles W. Polzer/ ASU, and a Professor Steve Dana/ Redlands U.
No official documentation exists that I am aware of, giving the opinions of Woods, Polzer, or Dana.
Given that there has been so little interest in the stones by anyone other than us crazies, I would think it would be an uphill battle to bring anyone on board other than possibly a writer/historian who has so far been silent on the issue.

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions