The Peralta Stone Maps, Real Maps to Lost Gold Mines or Cruel Hoax?

Do you think the Peralta stone maps are genuine, or fake?

• Total voters

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
old:
the thing that i have trouble grasping is that so many people have been obsessed with the stone maps but nobody ever thought to go talk to the tumlinsons (until recently)...if i gave a crap about those silly rocks thats the first thing i would have done is to go talk to them...now that someone has talked to them everyone is bashing the man....i'm sure if any of you guys had taken the time and money to go see the tumlinsons you could have done the same thing ryan did....but you didn't and he did...and thats the name of that tune

It isn't necessary to talk to the Tumlinsons about the Stone Maps, except to ask how Travis came into possession of them.

Travis's, and by extension, the Tumlinson's involvement with the Stone Maps is purely accidental. In the big picture, their story will be but a footnote.

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
>>>>So you hold that Travis carved the Stone Maps? <<

some of them, yes, I do. The question is who made the prototype.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
It isn't necessary to talk to the Tumlinsons about the Stone Maps, except to ask how Travis came into possession of them.

Travis's, and by extension, the Tumlinson's involvement with the Stone Maps is purely accidental. In the big picture, their story will be but a footnote.

you are missing the point...the first step would have been to visit the tumlinsons

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
>>>>It isn't necessary to talk to the Tumlinsons about the Stone Maps, except to ask how Travis came into possession of them. <<<

If you stop there you are missing out on a ton of valuable information. That would be a mistake.

Otherwise; I agree with you that there is a lot more to the story.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lynda

Can you tell us why Travis had carved ( if he had ) the trail map on two stones ?
Was this his artistic style or he chose a biggest resolution of the original map ?

Well , I was a member of the National Museum of Art in Bucharest . Not as painter but as student , in '76-77. There we learned many styles of paintings , how to preserve them and how to distinguish the " hand " of some painters .
So , the carvings are like paintings on stone , and I can tell you for certain , how exists a big difference of " hand " between " the Chest stone map that had carved Travis and the Peralta stone maps .

Last edited:

EarnieP

Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old:
the thing that i have trouble grasping is that so many people have been obsessed with the stone maps but nobody ever thought to go talk to the tumlinsons (until recently)...if i gave a crap about those silly rocks thats the first thing i would have done is to go talk to them...now that someone has talked to them everyone is bashing the man....i'm sure if any of you guys had taken the time and money to go see the tumlinsons you could have done the same thing ryan did....but you didn't and he did...and thats the name of that tune

I don't think RG was the first to track down and talk to the 'Family'. (I believe he thanked someone publicly for turning him on to them?)
Just reading posts here leads me to believe there were at least three others who contacted them, probably were several more.

It's an old tune, but the lyrics keep changing. ;)

Last edited:

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
old:

See Azdave

More misguided stories, I don't believe anybody trashed RG for talking to the family, NOT ONE!
And further more, I liked the fella, The only time he got bashed was deleting posts, Threads or I am the only word.
Needs thicker skin I'd say.

Thats how you judge CHARACTER

Wrmickel1. ( when you need strength for round 5, You need to grow up son

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
See Azdave

More misguided stories, I don't believe anybody trashed RG for talking to the family, NOT ONE!
And further more, I liked the fella, The only time he got bashed was deleting posts, Threads or I am the only word.
Needs thicker skin I'd say.

Thats how you judge CHARACTER

Wrmickel1. ( when you need strength for round 5, You need to grow up son

i'm not your son..(thank god)

motel6.5

Mar 27, 2012
Nevada,Calif.,Utah,Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it remotely possible that their is a original Stone Map or 2 in Oregan ? , who"s to say they all ended up in the great state of Texas... I have to say this thread has become very humoris.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old, I know you're a serious researcher with meticulous skills and abilities that I couldn't hope to match in two life-times. However, having not seen the evidence you've been privileged to view, I am still unconvinced about Travis.
The promise of upcoming revelations isn't enough to change the opinion I've formed concerning those darn Stones.
Not intentionally trying to irk you, just need more proof.

Due to your reputation alone, I am tempted to jump on board. And I am rooting for your 'team's' complete success. What a great history changing moment that would be!
But my personal doubting nature won't allow me joining the bandwagon until I see more of that convincing evidence for myself, as presented here or on the future TV program.

I know that is out of your control, so I'm/we're left waiting...still.

Earnie - That's an excellent post of yours! I've of the same mind as you and I don't understand why it's so difficult for people to understand that without all the information, one has to form an opinion based on what they've seen themselves and right now that leads to suspecting Travis of cutting the stones himself. I'm completely open to seeing all the new information and I'm sure it will be fascinating and based on the new information I may very well change my mind. What gives me pause however will be how that new information is presented - will it be in an unadulterated form that anyone can access, question, investigate and see how well it stands up to scrutiny or will it be spoon fed to us with a slant and lack of definitive facts that any of us could further investigate? That fact that it will be coming as a media drop of some type doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Old, Well just for the record, My vote is Alternative Copies are in existence.
Now your gonna say the Stone Crosses are fake to. Whooo
Travis Carve them too.

Wrmickel1

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
>>>>It isn't necessary to talk to the Tumlinsons about the Stone Maps, except to ask how Travis came into possession of them. <<<

If you stop there you are missing out on a ton of valuable information. That would be a mistake.

Otherwise; I agree with you that there is a lot more to the story.

Valuable information pertaining to Travis? Or to the Stone Maps?

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
>>Valuable information pertaining to Travis? Or to the Stone Maps? <<

Both. Sorry, I thought that was obvious. My mistake.

Marius, Your observations are worthy of discussion. But; I don't think you are making an apples to apples comparison.

The trail stones are not a free hand, from the mind, drawing (in my opinion). They are a precision tooled map copy.

Again, (and I know how unfair this is); I've seen Travis' carvings in wood and then painted of objects that have zero to do with treasure hunting that would amaze you at how realistic and accurate they are. He was talented. That's why I say some first hand discussion with those who knew "the man" and his capabilities does add value. Your mileage may vary. So be it.

I'll stop here. Because it is unfair to vex you further. My purpose was to give pause in reveling in delight with name calling, innuendo and branding folks as liars. I haven't lied to you or mislead you. I've offered myself up to your (collective you) ridicule to speak truth to you when you have been angry, mistaken, or doubted a truth. And; yeah, I do get edgy when someone calls me a liar.

When the time is right we can debate the conclusions. The facts will speak for themselves. Where they lead your thinking will be up to you to decide. I don't like the timetable any better than you do. Were it within my power it would have been aired yesterday. Our quest for truth is as valid as yours and has been rewarding beyond expectations. Peace be with yours and may it be so with ours as well.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The trail stones are not a free hand, from the mind, drawing (in my opinion). They are a precision tooled map copy.

Lynda

Here you are wrong . The artist , first make the drawing on stone and after use the tools to carve it . So , the tools follow the artist's free hand drawing .
The same tactic is used on paintings and on wood gravures .

Last edited:

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Old,

How do wood carvings, equate into Stone Copies of precision.
Now it's obvious man has carved stone for thousands of years.
Its all so obvious that stone left in the elements produce staining and wear,
See the type of stone use to make the maps is fairly soft, and would of been almost black when found. That I do know I'm a stone cutter. So when I look at the Stones in the Museum I can tell they were washed.
So why does the Travis Story start with washing the Stones.

Its Obvious, they were so black he could not read them.
If that little piece of information was not in the original story I would have concluded it as a hoax from the get go.
I also see the the slightly shades of dark to light in them and the slight course to rough pattern.
Which only occurs with power washing.

Now I will admittedly say I do no research on anything thing what so ever, Cause it corrupts the mind to stay fresh away
from others who tainted the story. But I do place myself in there shoes and the time they lived.

I believe Feldman's and Team Heat found out the hard way of following others.

Wrmickel1

Last edited:

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Old or Joe

There is a question I'd like to ask you if you know I guess.

Did Travis and Ted the painter ever travel in to the supers together.

wrmickel1

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Old,

How do wood carvings, equate into Stone Copies of precision.
Now it's obvious man has carved stone for thousands of years.
Its all so obvious that stone left in the elements produce staining and wear,
See the type of stone use to make the maps is fairly soft, and would of been almost black when found. That I do know I'm a stone cutter. So when I look at the Stones in the Museum I can tell they were washed.
So why does the Travis Story start with washing the Stones.

Its Obvious, they were so black he could not read them.
If that little piece of information was not in the original story I would have concluded it as a hoax from the get go.
I also see the the slightly shades of dark to light in them and the slight course to rough pattern.
Which only occurs with power washing.

Now I will admittedly say I do no research on anything thing what so ever, Cause it corrupts the mind to stay fresh away
from others who tainted the story. But I do place myself in there shoes and the time they lived.

I believe Feldman's and Team Heat found out the hard way of following others.

Wrmickel1

Wrm,

As to your last post, I have never heard that they knew each other. On the other hand, I do like your trying to tie the Stone Maps, in some way, to Ted DeGrazia.

I do have a circumstantial connection between Ted and Harry LaFrance.

I only found one Harry LaFrance in Arizona, around 1930.

Good luck,

Joe

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

Are you saying that when Travis carved the maps, he copied from something that was three-dimensonal? Or did he copy from paper?

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you saying that when Travis carved the maps, he copied from something that was three-dimensonal? Or did he copy from paper?

I believe Old wrote how the copies were made from prototypes . So , maybe the copies are what the prototypes looked like , or viceversa .

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread