the portraits are gone but Im not complaining

BennyJ

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2011
the portraits are gone but I'm not complaining

With the rusted out iron center this sounded a lot like the tinfoil i've been avoiding all this time. I still dug it because I hadn't hit anything interesting in a while. I guess that'll teach me... I thought washer, then I thought shotgun shell, then I saw "constitution" and went, what the hey?

It seems to be an 1864 presidential campaign medal for George McClellan. The obverse has his quote "UNION CONSTITUTION LAWS & FLAG" and the reverse says "PT APR 2 1861". The middle would have held a ferrotype of McClellan and the other side his running mate. Apparently the motto is from his letter accepting the democratic nomination. McClellan only won a few states, including his home state here in Jersey.

I was going to post in "What is it?" until I found a picture searching for "union constitution laws and flag" + ferrotype.

Before this the best thing I'd dug from my property was an 1889 IH; this will keep me going for a while longer.

Attachments

• mcclellan obverse.jpg
    mcclellan obverse.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 517
  • mcclellan reverse.jpg
    mcclellan reverse.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 514
Upvote 0

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Re: the portraits are gone but I'm not complaining

wow cool find.

welcome to T-net

:icon_thumleft:

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No way!!!! Extra sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet find. Can we get some more pics of that? Congrats, and welcome to Tnet :icon_thumright:

BurnsideSlim

Jan 13, 2009
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ex II

Great find there Benny. Thanks for sharing the history on it too. Good luck with future finds in your yard!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread