Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pennies from Heaven,, a very popular song. First sung by Bing Crosby in 1936.
Jumping back 390 years to 1546, John Heywood, wrote the catchy phrase, " A penny for your thoughts?" It was an offer of money to coax wisdom from a wise man who had fallen into deep thought.
Add 301 years to 1546, and you have 1847, when the invention of the Candy Machine suddenly flooded the market with what many of us grew up calling Penny Candy. Suddenly,, Penny Candy became the first material good that children spent their own money on.
Candy store owners became reliant on children to keep their businesses running. Imagine that,, children running around with their pockets full of pennies. Sounds like a coin spill waiting to happen.
Well 2015 was an excellent year for me in so many areas. I will not disrespect the penny, by not posting about all the wonderful wheat back pennies I found. Many of them were over 100 years old. Although most were toasted, I did manage to recover a few that were worthy of cleaning and preserving in a coin folder.
During 2015, I recovered 544 Wheat Back Pennies.
I also recovered 158 Silver coins. Those silver recoveries took place during 63 of the total 121 hunts last year. During 60 of those 63 silver producing hunts, I recovered 503 wheat back pennies with or in the vicinity of the Silver Coins.
It was an excellent year to prove that there is truth in the old saying, "Where there is wheat,, there is Silver"
IMG_2817.JPG IMG_2816.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 11

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent post... I'd be happy to throw down a coil with you, anytime!

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice ode to the humble cent coin, ATW! Here is another powerful "Penny."
penny.jpg
Happy Hunting brother. Sub 8-)

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy finding them pennies because I know I am not far away from a great score. Love the post.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy finding them pennies because I know I am not far away from a great score. Love the post.

I hear you! I dug $801.00 in clad in 2015. Because I dug nearly every Lincoln cent signal, I scored about 60+ small sterling jewelry pieces. Seek and ye shall silver...Sub :headbang:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post ATW. I have a couple penny folders that I only fill with dug coins. It's a win when I dig a wheat cent, and it's a win/win if it fills an empty slot.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here! Here! Sir!

Every time I go to a new place and I start finding pennies. Even new ones I say, "Good! There are goodies in this ground!" I don't care if someone thinks they can identify and thereby just skip digging all the pennies. They are ALWAYS, skipping some nice other stuff as well!

Good job! AND....I am impressed! I only WISH I could be as organized as you are, getting those coins cleaned and preserved ! Wonderful!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Blah, blah, blah blah blah, a bunch of Wheat pennies, blah, blah... I also recovered 158 Silver coins."

:notworthy:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last August, I spotted a grubby 1925 wheatie on the surface of a 1940's bottle dump. That discovery eventually led to 66 more wheaties, 6 merc's, 3 buffs, 2 Barber quarters and a SLQ. NEVER ignore the significance of the humble wheatie find!

goldbmine

Nov 13, 2015
North Ga.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To this day I still get excited on finding a wheat! Images of silver start dancing in your head! Enjoyed the post congrats

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post. That is an amazing amount of wheats and wow on all that silver !
Seems like you had a great year. Keep the coil to the ground HH gl eastcoast hunter

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ATW THATS A LOT OF PENNIES ..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread