the priest map or witch map

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes the stones are fake if applied to "I think" or "I believe" they are tied to peralta.

Yes the stones are fake if applied to "I think" or "I believe" they are tied to the ldm.

A lot of things happened in 1847.
1847 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is not a priest that is shown. In 1767 the jesuits were expelled from the mexican territory and other places. In Spain hat and Cloak Riots in Madrid in March 1766 directly precipitated the Jesuit expulsion. Hats concealed identities, cloaks concealed weapons.

In other words the stone shows someone concealing a weapon.

The Jesuit's returned after the Gadsden Purchase, 1853–1854

Im not going to waste anymore of my time explaining what no one wants to hear. Keep ignoring the facts or lack of facts. Keep "believing" and "thinking" whatever you choose to "believe" and "think"

Last edited:

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
It is not a priest that is shown. In 1767 the jesuits were expelled from the mexican territory and other places. In Spain hat and Cloak Riots in Madrid in March 1766 directly precipitated the Jesuit expulsion.

Since this thread was resurrected from the dead, I thought I'd take the time to correct this misconception. The "priest" or "witch" figure on one side of the H/P stone neither represents or is related to the hat and cloak (cape) riot (otherwise known as the Esquilache Riots, as in Motín de Esquilache). For one thing, the type of hat that was banned along with wearing of any long capes was not of the pointed type, but was in fact, the chambergos, a broad brimmed hat which was thought to easily conceal identity should the wearer chose to do so, simply by tilting his head slightly as in the example below.

riots.jpg

For those arguing that the Stone Maps have anything to do with the Jesuits, it then becomes implausible to characterize the figure as a witch, because while this carved figure does wear a pointed hat, the band on the pointed hat is a critical giveaway for those trying to characterize the figure as a witch. The use of pointed hats to symbolize witches or sorcery in general became fairly popular in the Victorian era, but the addition of a band/buckle did not occur until much later, perhaps even the 19th century. The Jesuits, as we know, were expelled in 1767, well before either of the above became part of popular lore.

But this is not to say that the band on the pointed hat doesn't signify anything. In fact, I believe it forms, or is part of what forms probably the most critical clue contained within this figure, namely a geometric shape that has a much larger counterpart in the field which is in roughly the same position as on the H/P stone, relevant to the figure. In short, the band was necessary in order to create a specific geometric shape. This same geometric figure is seen and/or named on all the other artifacts related to this mystery, and is, IMO, what makes it pretty difficult to characterize this whole thing as an act of fraudulence, or a prank.

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
131017_EYE_WickedWitch.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

It's true before 1710 the pointed Hat was only used on the unfortunate people hauled off for torture during the inquisition!

This the one that frightens me!!

So we can safely say the stone map isn't older than say 1710?

Sounds like more of a late Spanish early Mexican scare tactic or warning.

Last edited:

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the mapmaker(s) intended that the pointed hat stick out like a sore thumb. In short, it would have appeared just as bizarre to the intended recipients as it does to us.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since this thread was resurrected from the dead, I thought I'd take the time to correct this misconception. The "priest" or "witch" figure on one side of the H/P stone neither represents or is related to the hat and cloak (cape) riot (otherwise known as the Esquilache Riots, as in Motín de Esquilache). For one thing, the type of hat that was banned along with wearing of any long capes was not of the pointed type, but was in fact, the chambergos, a broad brimmed hat which was thought to easily conceal identity should the wearer chose to do so, simply by tilting his head slightly as in the example below.

View attachment 1376405

For those arguing that the Stone Maps have anything to do with the Jesuits, it then becomes implausible to characterize the figure as a witch, because while this carved figure does wear a pointed hat, the band on the pointed hat is a critical giveaway for those trying to characterize the figure as a witch. The use of pointed hats to symbolize witches or sorcery in general became fairly popular in the Victorian era, but the addition of a band/buckle did not occur until much later, perhaps even the 19th century. The Jesuits, as we know, were expelled in 1767, well before either of the above became part of popular lore.

But this is not to say that the band on the pointed hat doesn't signify anything. In fact, I believe it forms, or is part of what forms probably the most critical clue contained within this figure, namely a geometric shape that has a much larger counterpart in the field which is in roughly the same position as on the H/P stone, relevant to the figure. In short, the band was necessary in order to create a specific geometric shape. This same geometric figure is seen and/or named on all the other artifacts related to this mystery, and is, IMO, what makes it pretty difficult to characterize this whole thing as an act of fraudulence, or a prank.

Very true , deducer . I'm happy you start to see the real image . The Priest/Witch " body " is all in the middle of the Latin heart region ( which is not the same with the trail heart region ) . If you look at the priest GE image , you will see at his back , the Triangulum shadow .

Priest.jpg

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pointed Hat serves a purpose. The "A" in the Hat made from a band around it is a typical in the field or on a map Spanish / Mexican "Go-To" or "At" symbol. I've seen this myself at gold mine / treasure sites. It's an inbound marker just as an "X" is. The Heart is Royal, the door symbol works both ways for a mission or shrine. X+HEART+DOOR=This way to the royal door. A+HEART+DOOR=Go to the royal door, or, at the royal door. A+foot+heart=goto or follow the royal walkers trail. Thumb on a Hand + A+heart= Measured distance to a solar or stone map. Just like the claim of a cactus with a thumb lead to the PH buried map!

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Very true , deducer . I'm happy you start to see the real image . The Priest/Witch " body " is all in the middle of the Latin heart region ( which is not the same with the trail heart region ) . If you look at the priest GE image , you will see at his back , the Triangulum shadow .

View attachment 1376695

I have done very little research via GE. My only interest in it is to see how things are positioned relative to each other.

Speaking of the Latin Heart, are you aware that it was reportedly carved from a black material? That is something you may want to think about.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Black was only the background when was photographed .

LATIN_HEART_1.jpg

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done very little research via GE. My only interest in it is to see how things are positioned relative to each other.

Speaking of the Latin Heart, are you aware that it was reportedly carved from a black material? That is something you may want to think about.

The only thing to do , is to find where the trail and its heart lies , and after to decrypt the Priest map .
But deducer , one thing to remember , without the GE or a 2D physical map , you will never find it .

Last edited:

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Black was only the background when was photographed .

View attachment 1377011

Marius,

That is not the original Latin Heart. It is the reproduction done by Jim Hatt based on notes and measurements given to him by Al Reser who took a photo of the original before it was destroyed by Jacob Alexander. Jim also said that Bill Hidden had seen it in person and said that it was black.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The only thing to do , is to find where the trail and its heart lies , and after to decrypt the Priest map .
But deducer , one thing to remember , without the GE or a 2D physical map , you will never find it .

Are you saying the mapmaker(s) required the use of GE to solve the Stone Maps?

captain1965

Apr 12, 2015
Mesa
Detector(s) used
fisher gemini 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like the Latin Heart was most likely carved from basalt.

Would be interesting to know if the stone was black on one side and tan colored on the opposite. The ultraviolet light of the sun over time turns basalt black.

Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you saying the mapmaker(s) required the use of GE to solve the Stone Maps?

deducer

You wrote : " I have done very little research via GE. My only interest in it is to see how things are positioned relative to each other. "

And I answered : " The only thing to do , is to find where the trail and its heart lies , and after to decrypt the Priest map .
But deducer , one thing to remember , without the GE or a 2D physical map , you will never find it . "

Who was writing about mapmaker(s) ?

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marius,

That is not the original Latin Heart. It is the reproduction done by Jim Hatt based on notes and measurements given to him by Al Reser who took a photo of the original before it was destroyed by Jacob Alexander. Jim also said that Bill Hidden had seen it in person and said that it was black.

So , one stone heart is red-brown and the other was black . That is what the CP map says , the transition from the setting sun ( day ) to the moon ( night ) . Or , show a direction from the east to west .

deducer , you have one answer : where is the Latin heart in relation with the trail heart .

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iglesia de Santa Fe......

What would be more fitting than a few Gargoyles ?

gargoyle A.jpg

And a triangular protrusion of black rock to point the way.

Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A church ( iglesia ) , is a house of God . So , we can translate : " The treasure of the Holy Faith house " .
Now , the house could means " home/main " ?

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Translate the title any way you wish.
Definitely not a conventional church, IMHO.
Tucked away where it is, it's not easy to find.....nor something anyone would stumble upon by accident.
Very few would go there, I suspect......or even try to.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Translate the title any way you wish.
Definitely not a conventional church, IMHO.
Tucked away where it is, it's not easy to find.....nor something anyone would stumble upon by accident.
Very few would go there, I suspect......or even try to.

IMO , you are right . Many would lose their faith on the way .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread