The Purpose of; Miniature Bird Points.

MObushwhacker

Feb 20, 2010
Scott County Missouri
Detector(s) used
White DFX
While redoing some old frames I came across several miniature bird points. They are beautiful works of art and highly prizes by other collector because of their small size. But because of their small size I question the purpose of these small points, and if they were even made by Native Americans. . I have found hundreds of bird points in my lifetime but I never any this small. A friend of mine says they were used for small game and for drilling small holes. Even that doesn’t make sense. I disagree for the simple reason is that the size of the point is just too small. The shaft of the arrow shaft would have to be the size of a match stick, same situation if use as a drill just too flimsies. It would be like trying to shoot spaghetti in a bow. My question is; have other collectors actually found these very small points and what is the purpose and benefits of them being so small?

Attachments

• Picture 008 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 008 (Medium).jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 667
Upvote 0

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
Larson needs to post up and show some of his tiny Jasper and Agate bird points. Some are TINY much like what you guys have posted.

As a bowhunter I can vouch for what happens when a sharp arrowhead penetrates the lungs of a deer and other medium to small game. One thing to consider is that the bows back then wouldn't have been nearly as powerful as the modern bows used today. With that in mind a smaller yet razor sharp, low profile, arrowhead would have a better chance of penetrating deeper into the vitals of whatever game animal or enemy the arrow at which the arrow was being shot. In addition the arrow woudn't need to be as heavily spined as it would to handle a heavier point and the arrow might be more accurate since the lower profile point wouldn't plane as much as a higher profile point.

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Tis' a interesting thread for sure ! ,.. And why not a Bow & Arrow some 4,000 yrs ago , perhaps just as a small-game novelty ,..per say?
IMO,. Many of these "Bird-Points" are just arrowheads , as the Madison type "point's" I have found back in Iowa ,on a Iowa/Omaha site are but 3/4 in. to 1 in. long , and must assume these where used on large game [bison]. And out here in So. Cali , most of my "arrow" points are 3/4 in. long . 5/8 L is considered "small" and 1in. long is considered big . Out here in So. Cali most of the small-game arrows were a cane shaft with a 8-10 in. sharpened hardwood for-shaft ,..good to stick a bunny or bird ,..and no damage done when shot into the earth . Anyway ,.. here's one that should be considered a Bird-point .

JPEGlitcamp.jpg

On a dime , the former champion of Lithic Little here at the A.I.A. forum ,...3 yr's running . But by a T.K.O. this title now goes to one of O' Larson's Jasper& Agate bird-point's as described by Archer66 here. Now , O' Larson has found a number of theses points , and must represent a use for some need , ..maybe for taking prairie-chicken ?? good way to teach the young un's ?
Blindpig

Mr Chris

Oct 15, 2010
I have some that are too small to be used effectively, but I also have some that could be killers and also a few knives that are birdy size

Attachments

• birdies.GIF
    birdies.GIF
    109.2 KB · Views: 311
  • birdy knives.GIF
    birdy knives.GIF
    115.5 KB · Views: 299
  • killing birdies.GIF
    killing birdies.GIF
    131.8 KB · Views: 319

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
A small arrowpoint would slip between the ribs much easier than a large one. Also, as in firearm projectiles, it is not always so important as to how big the bullet, but rather where you place it, and most of us know how much better a field point fly's compared to a fixed blade broad-head.

I read that the natives up here would actually aim for behind the ribs, through the flank at an angle toward the front of a buffalo. The idea was to just get the arrow through some guts and far enough into the animal to give him enough discomfort that they wouldn't run too far. In my opinion, the smaller point would allow for better penetration of the stick, creating even more dis-comfort.

Interesting to see all the opinions.

Joel

Here are some arrowpoints, well jest about all of them are. Not too many of these are over an inch.

DSCN3381.jpg

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
quito said:
A small arrowpoint would slip between the ribs much easier than a large one. Also, as in firearm projectiles, it is not always so important as to how big the bullet, but rather where you place it, and most of us know how much better a field point fly's compared to a fixed blade broad-head.

I read that the natives up here would actually aim for behind the ribs, through the flank at an angle toward the front of a buffalo. The idea was to just get the arrow through some guts and far enough into the animal to give him enough discomfort that they wouldn't run too far. In my opinion, the smaller point would allow for better penetration of the stick, creating even more dis-comfort.

Interesting to see all the opinions.

Joel

Here are some arrowpoints, well jest about all of them are. Not too many of these are over an inch.

DSCN3381.jpg

You bring up some very good points that make alot of sense. Very nice frame of arrowpoints.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread