The quest continues..................

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Box # 93 only offered up a nicely gold plated 80P (perhaps for a 50th wedding anniversary) and an 04P.

Earlier yesterday stopped by a bank I'd been to before, but suspect it might be someone's dump bank; as the tellers have told be of a gentlemen who regularly brings in halves; as he's "looking for the ones with real silver in them".

Well, their coin machine had $671 in halves, so I thought Id take a one time chance, buy the bag and see what competition there may be.

Brought the plastic bag home and first started "bingo rolling" it; looking for any silver edges. None.

Next, made a slice across one half of the top of the bag, "bingo rolled" it some more, and kept looking (now) inside the bag for a better look. Still no silver spotted.

Just as I was about to give up and bring it to one of my dump banks, I spotted an 86S commemorative proof !

That said, I think I'll look at each of them now, and see what else may have been missed.

More boxes to pick up today as well.

Have a great weekend and happy CRHing all.

Upvote 0

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I realize it is time-consuming, but I have found a lot of stuff by checking dates that I missed by just checking for silver. Sometimes I have found silver that just by looking at the edges looked like clad.

Best of luck!

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the above. I will cherry pick for the silver right away, but then will also look at each as I set the 74D's aside to check for double dies. I have found many 40% and even a couple of 90% kennedys that I missed (very tarnished/dirty).

OP
OP
thurmownator

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
wayne1956 said:
I agree with the above. I will cherry pick for the silver right away, but then will also look at each as I set the 74D's aside to check for double dies. I have found many 40% and even a couple of 90% kennedys that I missed (very tarnished/dirty).

I firmly agree with both of you. Whenever I've picked up bags of loose halves in the past , cherry picking the silver edges is only my first "screening" process. Afterwards I have also looked at whatever is left, date by date.

They only reason I was considering not doing it this time was I had reason (from the tellers) to consider the bag to be another CRHer's rejects.

But, like I said, after spotting that '86 comm, I'll be crawling through the rest this weekend.

Stay tuned.

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Oh definitely gotta check the dates. I would have missed quite a few 40% had I not, plus you'd miss any '87 or post '01 too.

OP
OP
thurmownator

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Would you believe..................

that the only keeper in that bag of $671 was the '86 comm I initially spotted ?? ???

Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread