THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Morning pepperj, Bill, Rusty and Dave

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning rook, ARC, pepper, Dave, bill, and RR.....and all the other sleepy head crew members !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for recognizing this Jim. :thumbsup:

When it came out of the ground my first thought was, wow this still has a lot of the silver-plate left on it.
But after I washed it I thought, man why is the metal turning white, it must be a chemical reaction to the dish soap I use. :icon_scratch:

It was only after I straightened it out that I saw the 'STERLING' mark. :laughing7:

congrats dave.....I love all my sterling ware finds. I guess I'm lucky as I've found about a dozen pieces.....almost all are spoons with the exception of 1 fork. Now for the embarrassing part.....a couple weeks ago I was down island hunting one of the islands where I often find silverware. I knew there was at least one spoon there because I forgot it in the bush on a previous hunt. So I start working my way towards where I think I left the silver spoon.....before I can get there I found another silver spoon. I put it in my pocket and continued the search for the first spoon. I never found that first spoon but was feeling good about the other spoon in my pocket !! Well when I got to the car and was packing up.....no spoon in my pocket....it fell out somewhere in the bush !! I'll have to go back now and find them both.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
congrats dave.....I love all my sterling ware finds. I guess I'm lucky as I've found about a dozen pieces.....almost all are spoons with the exception of 1 fork. Now for the embarrassing part.....a couple weeks ago I was down island hunting one of the islands where I often find silverware. I knew there was at least one spoon there because I forgot it in the bush on a previous hunt. So I start working my way towards where I think I left the silver spoon.....before I can get there I found another silver spoon. I put it in my pocket and continued the search for the first spoon. I never found that first spoon but was feeling good about the other spoon in my pocket !! Well when I got to the car and was packing up.....no spoon in my pocket....it fell out somewhere in the bush !! I'll have to go back now and find them both.

Bart, I want to go detecting with you. I'll just swing behind you and recover everything you lose! :laughing7:

I find it hard to believe that folks would even take silver cutlery outside to use.
But I guess in Florida, silver is just so plentiful that you just have to bend over and pick it up off the ground.

I must find 15 - 20 pieces of cutlery every year. So doing the math, that's 100 - 150 pieces since I started detecting 10 years ago.
Unless they're very old, unique or in great shape, now I just pitch them into the scrap brass bucket.

Glad I didn't do that with this spoon, although this one is probably going to end up being melted for it's scrap value. :icon_scratch:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well it seems that yesterday was a nothing day sort of. The body felt like sack of hammers and when it does there's little i can do to except the findings. So today I guess it will be a catch up day of sorts, need to get that lawn done, been talking about it for the past few days but it just keeps growing.
Was hoping the chickens were going to trim it up-but they just graze-move on.
We had another brief storm roll through yesterday and just enough for the haying not to be done, so that makes it the third day in a row now that its rained on the parade.

Was in the barn yesterday tending the coop and I kept hearing this noise, I finally thought is there a critter trying to get in through the upper back wall?
I went out and found a 6" limb off a maple tree snapped partway and was dragging along the rear of the steel roof.
This limb is up 20' and bending down, now I put the 12' ladder up onto the tree-and quickly decided I didn't want to be another idiot cutting branch down video capture.
So it was get the new 12' Stihl pole trimmer and trimmed the branch off right off the roof edge. Cutting 4" of branch was safer and easier than up on a ladder. Still what layed down was a good 10ft of branch that I had to drag off once I hook a strap on to the butt end.
These little wind shears that have been occurring this summer has created a lot of extra work. There's probably a weeks worth of cutting with the saws just to buck up and remove what's been blown down this past month.
With over 350 maple trees to tap for sap I don't really miss a tree, as the ones that are being hit are mainly the Ash/Elm/Pine as they have the bug infestation that's being going on.
We don't dare walk on the trails when it's breezy even, too many dead branches in the crowns come down onto the paths.
I got hit across the shoulders with a 1" branch that wasn't even that long a few years back. But falling from 60+ft up it's an eye opener.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The keys is unique.....it is island tradition for both families to hand down a silver set to there children upon marriage. So its a rich tradition for the conchs/locals. We still eat big holiday meals with a 150 year old set of silverware. How does so much silverware get scattered over the bush....one easy answer....HURRICANES !! Same story for the Bahamas. The difference is the silverware I find here in the keys shows little ware and tear....the ones in the Bahamas always seem to show extreme ware, they used there's every day

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

It's rare that I get sterling cutlery from the homestead locations.
Yesterday I thought that I was going to be doing the little happy dance. Looked good for a moment then I realized that the mind over thought/wished it was a good keeper.
20200811_162333.jpg
20200811_162427.jpg
Too light for silver, unless it is hollow like a hoop earring?
Now I have to have another look.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions