THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Live below your means , vs debt and obligations.

Means too low to acquire basic needs is another story.
And each case needs evaluated as to action to improve conditions.
Self sufficiency should always be encouraged.
Pointing at some one who is self sufficient and demanding a portion of what they have reduces philanthropy , and incentive to continue to perform in a manner continuing self sufficiency.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes we went out. Rough 2-3 foot waves. The Cap’n was more concerned with his parrot headset than the safety of the crew. The boat was hit by a wave which immediately pointed us to the heavens. I screamed, cussed, then cried. Then I drummed up the guts to stay out there. It was bitterly cold and rolling waves and my guts tried to make me pay for the decision. After 4-5 hours of miserable conditions and no fish, the boat was trailered, I was brought back to the hotel and they went back out to a different location. I am throwing in the towel. Not fun for me anymore. I lost count on the apologies I received.

Hah hah.
I know better each time I commit to a great lake expedition.
Never mind the forecast , the wind will rise if I'm on the water!

The last time , I let a friend talk me in to going salmon fishing. His boat.
Get up in the middle of the night , (fish apparently go to bed near daylight , or to jobs or something) and drag myself into his truck.
A fishing friend from Canadian trips was aboard as well.
We stopped at a station for snacks and as the wind began to rise , so did my friends eyebrows when looking at my choice of food as he asked ,"saltines?".
Yeah , I knew the seas were not going to be kind.

Hours later the fish must have crashed early or went to work early as they were not being found on sonar , let alone caught.
My friend ordered me to run the boat , then kept asking where I was going , when not asking me if I could follow a straight course.
I told him , you had your chance and no fish , I can't do worse.

Spotted a couple on sonar , which means little compared to hooking one.
Two were hooked up farther on and eventually landed.
I didn't get to hold a rod that day.
My friend needed a break and the chance to fish so all was well. And the other friend had got me on fish before too.
Just the vision of landing my own fillets kind of dimmed after a while....

Dang boat was slipping all over in the chop and waves and wind that day.
And my tummy needed those saltines.
And I'd chummed off that boat before. l.o.l..

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Live below your means , vs debt and obligations.

Means too low to acquire basic needs is another story.
And each case needs evaluated as to action to improve conditions.
Self sufficiency should always be encouraged.
Pointing at some one who is self sufficient and demanding a portion of what they have reduces philanthropy , and incentive to continue to perform in a manner continuing self sufficiency.

Now can I get the simplistic version of what you just said?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Now can I get the simplistic version of what you just said?

Champagne on a beer budget is not the same as beer on a champagne budget.
Someone has to pay.

And if you don't perform in a manner leading you to be able to buy beer , you get to drink water. Or borrow money and pretend you needed to.
Or , demand that those with champagne buy you champagne , or beer.

Cell phone. Internet. New car. A bedroom for everyone. Weekly hair-doo and nails. Fast food multiple times a day. Cloths, oh I need more cloths! New ones too.
It's Saturday, (Friday , payday ,Tuesday, whatever) we need 80 dollars or more entertainment tonight.

I've seem my share of broke people that had incomes well above my own.
Part of a budget is not what you earn , (or receive for those that don't earn) ...But what you do with it.
Never enough when it is spent already.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jim/RC,

Many years ago I read a book called the richest man in Babylon. It's was a fable version of money management which basically called for people to live on 70% of their income 10% was to go to earning additional income(savings and investments, etc...) and the other 20% went to pay down debt and when the debt was eliminated add it to the savings pot.

That way over time what you don't spend ends up earning you enough to live on and you don't have to worry about having an income or job.

Works for me and allowed me to accept an early retirement at 52 years of age. Don't get me wrong I still splurge on stuff on occassion, however, I'm not into conspicuous consumption for it's own sake.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Jim/RC,

Many years ago I read a book called the richest man in Babylon. It's was a fable version of money management which basically called for people to live on 70% of their income 10% was to go to earning additional income(savings and investments, etc...) and the other 20% went to pay down debt and when the debt was eliminated add it to the savings pot.

That way over time what you don't spend ends up earning you enough to live on and you don't have to worry about having an income or job.

Works for me and allowed me to accept an early retirement at 52 years of age. Don't get me wrong I still splurge on stuff on occassion, however, I'm not into conspicuous consumption for it's own sake.

There was one book about gold.
It leaned towards being in a position where earned interest from possessing gold/specie , was then invested where it made interest.
(In other words , making interest of your interest.)
Won't do anything for me today other than fractions of percentages. But it beats debt sometimes.

I recall being flat broke in the early eighties , when there were folks living off C.D. interest. C.D.'s aren't hardly paying diddly squat today.
It was a crazy time. But aren't all times?

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RC,

My payouts come from dividend paying stocks such as telecoms, utilities, etc....these are stable companies with payouts between 3 and 8% the downside is the shares bounce around price wise especially during covid and other crazy times.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am off to the desert myself... gonna try and conjure up some mirages.

Night T-net crew folk

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
ECS, I hope your neighborhood gets safer. Geesh!
The dangerous neighbor is still in jail and his house has been condemned due to the the faraday cage and bobby traps, and all the utilities have been turned off.
So far, all's quiet on the Ocala front.

Last edited:

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys it’s been a while since I came in here

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread