THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The weather doesn't look too bad for this week in your area Jim, at least it's going to be mild. :thumbsup:

Well above normal for this time of the year. It's mirroring the weather pattern we had 5 yrs ago when I built the shop. It only snowed once before we finished on Dec.23rd-I was still detecting just after New Years in the bush area of the property.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jim,
We received the snow late afternoon and overnight. Right now it's raining so getting nice and sloppy for rush hour.
I'll be wearing my weatherproof footwear on my morning walk so should be ok.

Good morning Bill
Is your landscape also a winter wonderland look this am?

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry to hear that Jim, but it's survival of the fittest isn't it.

I hate to think of any animal that might be suffering though, I'm sure it's the humane thing to do.

I wonder sometimes, if animals think the same thing about humans. :dontknow:

What's the line? "They shoot horses don't they?".

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave you going out detecting this AM?
With the snow it makes a person really know what they have covered with the footie prints left- makes gridding easy.:tongue3:

Funny you should mention that, I'd finished one side of a "grid" in a light snow. I looked back at those prints to see where to go next and my oh my!!! I *THOUGHT* I had walked a pretty straight line!!! I couldn't have been more crooked if I had plotted a graph!!! LOL :tongue3:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Funny you should mention that, I'd finished one side of a "grid" in a light snow. I looked back at those prints to see where to go next and my oh my!!! I *THOUGHT* I had walked a pretty straight line!!! I couldn't have been more crooked if I had plotted a graph!!! LOL :tongue3:
I like the drunken sailor approach in detecting.
I'll grid it out after the 3rd or 4th visit to a site.
In the fields I sometimes drag the shovel on it's edge, that helps plot out the grid.
But after 50 yrs of swinging it's still really hard to stay on a focused grid path.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well I hope everyone plays it safe in the snow, no slips or slides.
We northerners trudge through the snow.
You'z southern folks thinks its blow.:tongue3:

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good morning everyone.

So for a change, I spent an entire week at hunting camp, and I'm worn out physically and mentally. From Last Friday, to yesterday evening, I sat in the treestands for 12 hours at a time, holding my gun up the entire time in case a deer ran by. I saw small bucks and several does, heard grunting, bleating, roaring and watched a small buck make a scrape. I hiked sometimes two miles one way to get to some of the stands. I froze my butt off, roasted, and got rained on. More or less from exposure to people than my hunting situation, I didn't sleep for more than 3 hours in a 72 hour period, until I finally just collapsed on my bed without taking any of my gear off. No one could wake me up. But it wasn't all that bad.

I did end up shooting something: a coyote. He was on a dead run 130 yards away, so I gave my best aiming guess and fired. It was a 1/1,000,000 head shot. It was a bit gruesome, so no pics. One dead coyote is reason to celebrate, because they'll attack anything down here. Even people.

I hunted Friday through Monday, and on Monday night I was unexpectedly taken back home. No one knew where I was, or when I was coming back. I was dropped back off the next afternoon. No one was home. So I just got ready to go hunting, by throwing on all my gear and slinging my rifle across my shoulder. Then everyone came back in. I was standing in the doorway of my bedroom, and everyone walked past me, except my buddy Matt. He had his back to me, and never knew I was there. I put my hand on his shoulder and said "Hello Matt". He screamed like a little girl, and flew away, lol! Ahh. Good Times.

John, the organizer of all this, wasn't supposed to be back until way after dark. So while everyone was sitting around, having a beer, I threw on a newly restored SS Helmet that I brought along, my camo suit, ammo belt, knapsack, Mauser, gloves and PAB award. I even blacked my face out. When I walked out of my room, everyone was a bit surprised, and then I told them my plan: I'll wait by the bridge where he comes in to unlock the gate, I'll come out of the bushes and shout out "Halt! Was geht Sie diese Brücke an, Amerikaner?" (Halt! What is your business across this bridge, American?) I don't know a lot of German, but enough to have some fun. Everyone was laughing at the thought, and begged me to do it. As I went out the door, I could see his headlights coming down the road. I quickly yelled out "tell him you don't know where I am!" and ran off behind the house. I heard John ask everybody where I was and "nobody knew". He thought it was very strange. So I lifted my head above the kitchen window. Because of my blacked out face at night, all you could see was the outline of my head and the whites of my eyes. A few minutes went by before Katelyn, a very hot ex-army ginger who brought her husband along...awww... finally freaked out when she saw me, or my head rather in the window. Everyone was laughing until they had tears coming down their faces. I walked in the front door, saying "Was geht Leute? Es ist ein bisschen dunkel. Ich kann nirgendwo Verkehrszeichen sehen. Ist das Berlin?" (What's up everyone? It's a bit dark out. I can't see any road signs anywhere. Is this Berlin?) Everyone was dying.

In all, we had some fun, but I figured out I got some bad people issues. Two bucks were taken, one by a guy on the last day in the last hour of his stay, and another by a disabled vet. I dragged his buck out for him.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Mornin all!

Go Rusty!

Use your mind while you power through challenges.
The ay will come when your mind will have to substitute for physical power .

You absolutely can improve your people skills and conflict resolution(s).
Only by wanting to though.
It's not all about your ability , it's more about human nature. Meaning , others attitudes your dealing with more than your experience...
There is an old Dale Carnegie book , "How to win friends and influence people".
A primer of sorts. Worth browsing if you have curbside library service going on.
It's dated. Almost corny till you look closer.

Congrats on getting the hunting in. And the social aspect of others being involved.
A guy I hired to do forestry work guided out west a while. And does informally more locally today.
Makes serious coin at his day job. But habitat work is a passion of his. And he has acquired some neat equipment over time.
He has to deal with customers. ( A far cry from being afield studying wildlife that allows him knowledge of how to work habitat.)
But will not need to worry about going hungry either. If there were not folks waiting for habitat work , there is always land clearing.
Plus , he gets to run the equipment?! L.o.l..

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Afternoon to those that lurk, drop by.

Bill I forgot to mention I got my garlic in yesterday, I'm not sure of the number in total 3-4 dozen. Just as I was finishing it started to snow, so that's another thing off the list. One year I planted on boxing day, as I had 4" insulation board down in the small garden so everything was still soft, everyone came up the next year, no entirely straight, a lot of bulbs were horizontal.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jim,

You may want to mulch the garlic with some leaves or something similar if you haven't already done so to protect it from the hard freezes during winter.

When things warm up in the spring you can move it aside to let the sprouts come up.

I seem to recall we planted 110 bulbs did I tell you we go through a lot of garlic....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

There's a roasted chicken recipe from the south of France that uses about 30 to 40 cloves of garlic. You just spread them around the pan unpeeled.

When the chicken's done you use some good crusty bread and just squeeze the garlic out and put it on the bread. Real yummy and almost has a sweet taste after being roasted.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gee Bill the recipe really sounds great, roasted garlic is up there in the yum factor.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions