THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So.... I love to here about the shipwrecks... suken treasure. We ain't got that here in Oregon!!
So...

It's legal here and in quite a few states. Good? Bad? Viking is posting this stuff 'cause he is influenced!! :laughing7:

IMG_7679 (2).JPG

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Morning AARC, OV, Rook

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OV... go easy on photos... we love them don't get me wrong... but the last RCT had issues due to them.

It seemed the quoting of the pictures was the bigger part of the problem... causing the thread to be closed.

We are trying to prevent this from happening again.

Videos are ok due to it not being on site... but a link to instead.

:)

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OV... go easy on photos... we love them don't get me wrong... but the last RCT had issues due to them.

It seemed the quoting of the pictures was the bigger part of the problem... causing the thread to be closed.

We are trying to prevent this from happening again.

Videos are ok due to it not being on site... but a link to instead.

:)

I'll think about it......

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Morning WD

Great to hear the washer isn't washing the baseboards in your life-well done on the repair. Kind of satisfying when things work out right in the home repair divisions.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had one once that kept giving me that annoying low-battery noise... I tried everything but after a few months I just sent it back for a new one. Digging without a pinpointer during that time was pretty rough lol.

I went to two metal detecting events in Virginia, and back then I had no pinpointer. I would spend up to 20 minutes looking for some of the smaller signals, and it was really a waste of time. By day three, I borrowed someones pinpointer, and the day went by much faster.

The second DIV event, I still had no pinpointer, so I found a dealer, and asked if I could borrow one, and even pay him some money for it. He was a nice guy, and he let me use it the whole event for free. Things went by much faster that time.

Some of the older style of detectorists (like Bill Dancy) don't like pinpointers, it's almost cheating for them. I'm perfectly happy with spending 2 minutes at a hole instead of 20!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went to two metal detecting events in Virginia, and back then I had no pinpointer. I would spend up to 20 minutes looking for some of the smaller signals, and it was really a waste of time. By day three, I borrowed someones pinpointer, and the day went by much faster.

The second DIV event, I still had no pinpointer, so I found a dealer, and asked if I could borrow one, and even pay him some money for it. He was a nice guy, and he let me use it the whole event for free. Things went by much faster that time.

Some of the older style of detectorists (like Bill Dancy) don't like pinpointers, it's almost cheating for them. I'm perfectly happy with spending 2 minutes at a hole instead of 20!

If your spending 20 minutes in the hole then it's just too long-period. It's a numbers game in the hunts as Virginia-paid your dime to dig right? Then you should have the equipment to play with.

Oh I dug for 30+ yrs without one of those magic sticks, now I have 4-5 of the things in the stable. :laughing7:

Ah the die hearts will claim they can retrieve faster without a PP, but don't believe.
Oh when the soils are loamy and the finds fall out like they want to be pick up and cuddled - ya one doesn't need one. Have recovered many a find without unholstering the PP even.
The grab a handful of dirt and wave in front of coil-repeat.....was the only way slow process.

I'll put a bet up on the table right now, and this right true.

I'll go head to head with anyone in a sticky wet clay bound dirt field to see who can recover a target faster with a PP or without. I will offer up any sum, because it's like shooting ducks in a barrel placing a bet out like this one-easy win.:headbang:

In England for example it was a get it dug and retrieve, and get on with it. Digging cost was figured out to be in the $50-60 an hour range to go there to dig. So messing around with a target was silly and expensive.
Chicago Ron estimated that one should be digging 250-300 noble targets a day out in the field. Now that's on it-dig retrieve get on it-simply a numbers game. Head down and go for a 10-12 hr day/7days a week rain/shine, just dig, and don't whine.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would spend a terrible amount of time trying to find little pieces of can, or small nails. It was annoying as hell, because Virginia, and most of where I live, is nothing but clay.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread