THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning.

Yesterday I was driving through town, when all of a sudden here here thumpthumpthumpthumpthump over and over again, so we pull over and inspect the car all around, finding nothing. We took off again, and the noise got worse, and the steering wheel began to quiver this time, so we pulled over again, and inspected the wheels. The culprit was the front left wheel o the car. My dad went to take the lug nuts off, and each one fell off into his hand. That woulda been bad if the whel came off. So we tightened them, and that solved the problem.

Glad you didn't have to post this posthumously. :eek:

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
GMorn everbody,I slept in till 630 and I might go back. Stripped lug nuts are trouble, I had that problem a weekend or so ago. I ended up replacing the lug bolts, not hard todo.
Mid 70s today, mid 40s tomorrow....
Have a great day!

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Well it sounds like you're fitting/adapting well in your first week of retirement. :laughing7:

Now about that crown-it will be known as the "WD's golden nugget"
Well if you follow up on the Mr WD's statement-just bring to the dentist and say well here's that "$hitty crown" that fell off...........:dontknow::tongue3::icon_scratch::laughing7:................

Clever use of the dollar sign. Ha ha ha.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
WD
Before you go back to the dentist scan it with your detector and see what it rings up. If it’s like one I had come out it’ll probably ring up around 17 or so on the MAX.

Now why didn’t I think of that? It, uh, er, might be too late.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Morning Rusty

Close call for sure, it's never a good thing to loose a tire at any time.

Query has the tires been changed, or has a garage been doing work lately on brakes or a reason for tinkering with a tire? (wouldn't be the first time Bubba forgot to torque the nuts on correctly)
Most tire guys will say reinspect the tightness of all the lug nuts after a 100 miles. "Even though I tighten them today-they can back off again"
Remember steel expands/contracts with cold and heat.

Yes, a kid from a garage that is now closed down replaced a flat tire on it a month or so ago.

OldWest

Aug 23, 2014
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a flat tire. Went to a local garage i used all the time owned by an old classmate. Got it fixed. A couple days later i drove 40 miles to take my wife to a Dr. appointment. We were almost there when I started hearing noise. I kept going for a while then stopped, got out and looked at everything, finding nothing out of the ordinary. Hmmmm. We continued on and soon was in the middle of a massive downpour. The noise was still there and getting progressively worse. I was concerned now.
All of a sudden, doing 45 mph, a loud bang, the car lurched hard and my left rear tire passed me. There it went, down the road and across, into the large wide ditch that was full of water already. It was out there floating away. Damn! Only one way to fix this. I got out in the downpour, went across the highway, waded out into the ditch which by now was probably 30 ft. wide with water and I waded out and retrieved the tire. Getting in unknown water is NOT my favorite thing to do. But i got the tire and walked back with it, trying to decide what to do next. As I was standing there a car came by. It was a fairly busy road at rush hour and this was quitting time about 4PM. The man pulled over to help and I saw it was someone I bowled with in a Monday night league. He lived in the same town we did and he gladly took us home. I was sooo appreciative. I would have done the same thing for anybody else for sure.
I called the garage and kinda raked my friend a little. He had to pay for the car to be towed to town and then still fix it. Luckily the wheel had just come off from loose lug nuts that his NEW kid hadn't tightened. That kid was fired. My car wasn't damaged other than the lost lug nuts that matched my chrome wheels and I got it fixed and went on my way. I can laugh about it now, especially the part about watching the tire pass me. Cracks me up. Luckily it happened on an empty road though and not the jam-packed freeway. I wasn't a happy camper at the time for sure.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, a kid from a garage that is now closed down replaced a flat tire on it a month or so ago.

Mornin all!

Paperwork/receipts come with the caution of lug nuts needing to be checked a while after following wheel reinstallation.

Had two flats in a week on a tilted left front years ago.
When the wheel itself came off at around 55 m.p.h. I thought I'd dropped the driveshaft the way the car wobbled and rocked as it bounced along.
I also started to suspect a problem. Ya , I was pretty quick about such things . L.o.l..
I wouldn't recommend doing such , but I robbed a nut from the other three wheels , put the wandering wheel back on and drove it home.
After squaring it up , suspicion arose at the slightest vibration chirp or wobble.
Which kept me busy with/while driving beater cars.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I lost a crown. It fell out on the floor. I found it, cleaned it, and stuck it back on with temporary stuff. The next day, I lost it again while eating. This time I swallowed it. Mr WD says, “Well, you have to find it again. That’s like $1,200.” I said, “I am not putting it back in my mouth now!”
If you find it I will vote for "Banner".

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a flat tire. Went to a local garage i used all the time owned by an old classmate. Got it fixed. A couple days later i drove 40 miles to take my wife to a Dr. appointment. We were almost there when I started hearing noise. I kept going for a while then stopped, got out and looked at everything, finding nothing out of the ordinary. Hmmmm. We continued on and soon was in the middle of a massive downpour. The noise was still there and getting progressively worse. I was concerned now.
All of a sudden, doing 45 mph, a loud bang, the car lurched hard and my left rear tire passed me. There it went, down the road and across, into the large wide ditch that was full of water already. It was out there floating away. Damn! Only one way to fix this. I got out in the downpour, went across the highway, waded out into the ditch which by now was probably 30 ft. wide with water and I waded out and retrieved the tire. Getting in unknown water is NOT my favorite thing to do. But i got the tire and walked back with it, trying to decide what to do next. As I was standing there a car came by. It was a fairly busy road at rush hour and this was quitting time about 4PM. The man pulled over to help and I saw it was someone I bowled with in a Monday night league. He lived in the same town we did and he gladly took us home. I was sooo appreciative. I would have done the same thing for anybody else for sure.
I called the garage and kinda raked my friend a little. He had to pay for the car to be towed to town and then still fix it. Luckily the wheel had just come off from loose lug nuts that his NEW kid hadn't tightened. That kid was fired. My car wasn't damaged other than the lost lug nuts that matched my chrome wheels and I got it fixed and went on my way. I can laugh about it now, especially the part about watching the tire pass me. Cracks me up. Luckily it happened on an empty road though and not the jam-packed freeway. I wasn't a happy camper at the time for sure.

Welcome aboard the RCT ship, OldWest.

So I am surmising from these experiences shared:

No matter who changes your tires, always double check the lug nuts.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Avast! I just shattered my coffee pot! Argh! I can go with out rum easier than I can go with out coffee!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Avast! I just shattered my coffee pot! Argh! I can go with out rum easier than I can go with out coffee!

EEBAAC9B-434A-4C34-80E5-EB4580CC00BF.gif :laughing7:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Well , I used to think very highly of you.
But that kind of abuse crosses a certain line...:icon_scratch: L.o.l..

I kept a spare decanter for the previous machine.
Then there's always my porcelain-ed steel camping pot.
And...On top of the refrigerator is the filter holder from a discarded coffee maker , and filters.
Just in case ...Despite having a Kurig today , there is coffee for that filter basket at hand.

There must and will be coffee!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread